Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Franciscan Spirituality

Franciscan Spirituality Click here to visit this social group

Old Aug 30, '11, 5:51 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: Franciscan News

Franciscan Translate Bible Into Colloquial Japanese

Quote:
ROME, ITALY, August 26 (CNA) - After 55 years of work, the people of Japan will soon have a translation of the Bible in colloquial Japanese thanks to the work of the Studium Biblicum Franciscanum of Tokyo.
Link
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Oct 4, '11, 7:52 am
Forum Supporter

Happy St. Francis feast day to everyone.

Here is a link in honor of that:
Saint Francis Of Assisi, 'Giant Of Holiness,' Honored Oct. 4

Quote:

DENVER, COLO., October 2 (CNA/EWTN News) - On Oct. 4, Roman Catholics celebrate the feast of St. Francis of Assisi, the Italian deacon who brought renewal to the Church through his decision to follow Jesus' words as literally as possible.

In a January 2010 general audience, Pope Benedict XVI recalled this "giant of holiness" as a "great saint and a joyful man," who taught the Church that "the secret of true happiness" is "to become saints, close to God."
Link
Old Oct 27, '11, 7:49 am
Forum Supporter

News from Assisi.

Franciscan Leader's Message Welcoming Pope to Assisi.

Quote:

Franciscan Leader's Message Welcoming Pope to Assisi

"Thank You ... for Reminding Us That Peace Is Inseparable From Truth"

ASSISI, Italy, OCT. 26, 2011 (Zenit.org).- Here is the text of a message sent to Benedict XVI by Father José Rodríguez Carballo, the minister-general of the Franciscans.

Holy Father,
Link
Old Oct 27, '11, 7:50 am
Forum Supporter

Pontiff Proposes St. Francis as Model for Youth

Quote:

Pontiff Proposes St. Francis as Model for Youth

VATICAN CITY, OCT. 26, 2011 (Zenit.org).- As Benedict XVI prepares to journey to Assisi on Thursday, he is proposing the famous saint of that Italian city as a model for youth.

The Pope spoke of St. Francis today at a liturgy to prepare for Thursday's Day of Reflection, Dialogue and Prayer for Peace and Justice in the World, an event that will gather leaders of the world's religions as well as non-believers in Assisi to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the first such celebration convoked by Blessed John Paul II.
Link
Old Mar 26, '12, 10:38 am
Forum Supporter

Poor Clare Sisters Make 'habit' Out Of Nun Run

Quote:
TEMPE, ARIZ., March 25 (CNA) .- The Poor Clare Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, who live in temporary facilities on monastery property in Tonopah, Ariz., have added another 'habit' to their spiritual regimen: the Nun Run.

The sisters hosted their third annual Nun Run March 10 at Kiwanis Park in Tempe, Ariz. It brought 1,135 runners and walkers ' ages 4 to 78 ' to the park in support of the sisters plus another 268 'shadow' runners worldwide.
Link
Old Mar 29, '12, 6:38 am
Forum Supporter

PRESS RELEASE: Franciscans Welcome Carbon Pollution Standard

Quote:

"The Franciscan Action Network ... welcomes the introduction of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Carbon Pollution Standard for New Power Plants. FAN members have advocated for the regulation of greenhouse gas emissions in recent years. ...

"FAN supports efforts to limit greenhouse gas emissions as consistent with the teaching that John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and the Franciscan tradition have articulated," stated FAN Executive Director Patrick Carolan. " ... FAN hopes that regulatory limitation of greenhouse gas emissions will stimulate human creativity and intelligence to find ways to meet our true needs while accepting the complementary need to sacrifice excessive uses of energy."
Link
Old Apr 3, '12, 10:54 am
Forum Supporter

Pope Proposes St. Clare as Model for Today's Youth

Quote:

Writes Message to the Bishops of Assisi for Claretian Year

VATICAN CITY, APRIL 2, 2012 (Zenit.org).- On the occasion of the Claretian Year, Pope Benedict XVI sent a special message to Bishop Domenico Sorrentino of Assisi, Nocera Umbria and Gualdo Tadino, to celebrate the first female disciple of Saint Francis.

Saint Clare's monastic consecration happened in all probability in 1211 or 1212: hence it is the 8th centenary of the event, for which the Diocese of Assisi has declared a Jubilee Year. The choice of Clare, in certain ways, completes "in a feminine way," the "grace that a few years earlier the community of Assisi attained with the conversion of the son of Pietro di Bernardone," wrote the Pope in his message for the Claretian Year.
Link
Old Jul 16, '12, 7:27 am
Forum Supporter

Hidden Monastery in Rome Possesses Rich History

Sheds Light on First Poor Clare Community in the Eternal City

Quote:

ROME, JULY 13, 2012 (Zenit.org).- Hidden away behind the wall of a modern Roman hospital stand the remains of an old monastery, dating back more than a thousand years.

Apart from a medieval entryway facing out into a small piazza in Trastevere, there is little evidence from the outside of Rome's Regina Margarita hospital that within its walls stands a monastery which, for centuries reaching back to the lifetime of Saint Clare of Assisi, once housed a community of Poor Clare sisters.
Link
Old Jul 17, '12, 6:48 am
Forum Supporter

Franciscans In Syria Call For Dialogue Not Weapons

Quote:
DAMASCUS, SYRIA, July 14 (CNA/EWTN News) .- The Franciscans in Syria are calling upon foreign powers to stop sending arms to the country after reports that over 200 civilians have been massacred in the village of Tremseh, potentially the bloodiest single incident of the Syrian conflict so far.

"It is a tragedy, the news is confusing, truth is the first victim," Franciscan Father Romualdo Fernandez, Director of the Ecumenical Centre of Tabbaleh, said on July 13 in Damascus.
Link
Old Jul 19, '12, 1:24 pm
Forum Supporter

I had to put up this one since this news features the friary at which my fraternity meets.

It was a great blessing when they changed the purpose of the friary back to being a novitiate again instead of the original plans of just turning it into just a retirement home. It is a great blessing whenever new members enter the Franciscan family.

Franciscan Vocations

Quote:
We report to you today with news on recent vocation events in the Conventual Franciscan community.

In Moravia, Costa Rica, Friar Marcos Quesada was ordained a deacon just this past Saturday. The Conventual Franciscans have been serving the people of Costa Rica since 1946. They live in friaries in Moravia and Alajuela both of which are located not too far from San Jose, Costa Rica’s capital. One of the friars’ many ministries in Costa Rica is St. Francis College – an excellent educational institution that the Franciscans founded in 1950.

Back in the United States, a celebration of vocations took place at the St. Joseph of Cupertino Friary in Ellicott City, Maryland. A group of more than 50 Franciscans gathered in the friary for an official welcoming of this year’s five new postulants. These men are now in the care of their formation directors, Friars Michael Heine and Daniel Geary.
One of the two standing friars in the picture is the Spiritual Assistant for our SFO/OFS fraternity.

Link
Old Jul 20, '12, 4:17 pm

Religion: Catholic

It's always good to see new postulants!
Old Sep 25, '12, 11:44 am
Forum Supporter

THE COURTYARD OF THE GENTILES CALLS AT ASSISI

Vatican City, 25 September 2012 (VIS) - "God, the unknown" is to be the theme of the "Atrium of St. Francis", an initiative organised by the Pontifical Council for Culture, the Holy Convent of Assisi and the "Oicos Riflessioni" Association. A press conference presenting the event was held this morning in the Holy See Press Office.

The meeting is due to take place in the Italian town of Assisi on 5 and 6 October and is part of the "Courtyard of the Gentiles" project, a structure for permanent dialogue between believers and non believers created by the Pontifical Council for Culture under the presidency of Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi. The Courtyard of the Gentiles has already organised events in several European capitals.

The Assisi meeting, in which more than forty speakers are due to participate, will be opened by Giorgio Napolitano, president of the Republic of Italy. The programme, which involves nine meetings in nine "atria" at different locations around the city of St. Francis, will cover the following themes: "Work, business and responsibility", "Contemplation and meditation", "Inter-cultural and inter-religious dialogue for peace", "Young people, between faith and nihilism", "The cry of the earth", "Art and faith", "The cry of the poor, the world economic crisis and sustainable development". Among the participants will be figures from the worlds of culture, science, art and economics, such as film-maker Ermanno Olmi, architect Massimiliano Fuksas, and trade union leader Susanna Camusso.

"In a second edition of his letter to the faithful St. Francis addressed himself to 'all Christians, religious, clergy and laity, to men and women, to all inhabitants of the world entire'", notes Fr. Giuseppe Piemontese, custodian of the Holy Convent of Assisi. "We are opening the 'Atrium of St. Francis' with great humility, and under the sign of that evangelical openness to others. Our hope is that the Courtyard of the Gentiles, in its call at Assisi, will be able to demonstrate the 'pure heart' and 'pure mind' to which St. Francis called us".
Old May 22, '13, 6:07 am
Forum Supporter

New Minister General.

Fr. Michael Perry ofm is the New Minister General

Quote:
Br. Michael Anthony Perry has been elected as Minister General of the Franciscan Order ‘ad complendum sexennium’. Born in Indianapolis (USA) in 1954, Br. Michael was serving as Vicar General of the Order. He was Minister Provincial of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Province (USA). He served his Province in Theological Formation, Post-Novitiate Formation, International JPIC work and for ten years he worked in the Missions (Democratic Republic of Congo). He served also with the Catholic Relief Services and in the US Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Link
Old May 23, '13, 1:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
New Minister General.

Fr. Michael Perry ofm is the New Minister General

Link
Prayers offered for Fr Michael.

A question: I notice that there seems to be a trend to lower case letters:

Fr Michael Perry ofm

Mr. Marauder ofs

Is this something "official"?

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old May 24, '13, 6:44 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
Prayers offered for Fr Michael.

A question: I notice that there seems to be a trend to lower case letters:

Fr Michael Perry ofm

Mr. Marauder ofs

Is this something "official"?
I personally don't know the answer to this. I copied the article header exactly as it was in the article. If you look lower in the article it has the letters in upper case. As far as I know the letters are supposed to be upper case, but I am not an expert on this.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Franciscan Spirituality