Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Gardening Group

Gardening Group Click here to visit this social group

Old Mar 7, '10, 12:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Talking Patron Saints of Gardening -- not your typical list

I found this list at an artist's website here. Feel free to use as you will, and also to add your own

St. Dorothy - is the patron saint of fruit tree growers and orchards. Her Feast day is February 6.

San Antonio Abad - because of his "grave digging" patronage, he is a good saint for digging tree holes.

San Ysidro- Isidore is the patron of farmers and large gardens. He often prayed and went to church while angels plowed the fields of his employer. He is patron of workers and sheepherders as well.

San Francis of Assisi - St. Francis is the Patron Saint of the garden's birds and animals and of ecology. Founder of the Franciscans, he is often shown preaching to the birds.

San Andreas- because of his fishing patronage, he is a good one for aquatic gardens with Koi and Gold Fish.

Santa Barbara- being patron of Geology and protector against being struck by l lighting, is a good patron for gardens with difficult geological problems (big rocks, bad slope, rotten soil, etc.) and to keep one safe from lightning strikes while out in the garden.

San Bernardo Abad- patron of Beekeeper and good for the garden, especially flowers and vegetables.

San Antonio de Padua- while not a garden saint, he is patron of finding lost things. I find him especially helpful when trying to locate my lost garden tools.

St. Urban - is the patron saint of vineyards and grape growers.

St. Fiacre - Fiacre is the patron of herb and vegetable gardens and of men who like to garden.

Saint Elizabeth of Hungary- is patron of Rose Gardens and rose gardeners.

St. Jude - while not exactly a garden patron, he is patron of lost causes and desperate cases and would be appropriate for the "brown thumb syndrome and the gardeners with very bad luck.

St. Phocas - A gardener by profession, Phocas was famous for his hospitality. He even dug his own grave for his executioners. He is patron saint of flower and ornamental gardening.

The Virgin Mary- patroness of all things, found as garden sculpture in many gardens through out the world

St. Valentine- patron of lovers and small intimate gardens.

St. Patrick - Saint Patrick is the patron saint of organic gardening as well as the Irish. He drove the snakes out of Ireland.

Other Garden Patrons:

St. Adelard- patron of gardeners
Santa Teresa Lisieux-patron of florists
St. George-patron of farmers
St. Ansovinus- protector of crops.
Virgin de Zapopan- protector against drought
St. Werenfrid- vegetable gardens

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Apr 4, '12, 11:22 am
Book Club Member

Default Re: Patron Saints of Gardening -- not your typical list

Don't forget St. Serenus the Gardener!

'Serenus abandoned his home and people to live as a hermit in Sirmiun, Pannonia (modern Hungary) where he directed his thought to prayer, his labour to working a garden of fruit and herbs.

One day he found a woman and her daughters walking in the garden around noon. He recommended they withdraw, and return in the cool of the evening, but the way he said it led her to believe he was simply chasing them out. The woman‘s husband was an imperial guard, and he convinced Emperor Maximian to avenge this imagined insult. Serenus was arrested and brought to trial, but simply repeated what he had said, and was immediately acquitted. However, his demeanor led the judge to suspect that Serenus was a Christian, which was illegal. When questioned about it, Serenus admitted his faith. He was ordered to sacrifice to pagan gods; he refused, and was sentenced to death.'

- P.S.I.

'It has pleased God to reserve me for this present time. It seemed awhile ago as if he rejected me as a stone unfit to enter his building, but he has the goodness to take me now to be placed in it; I am ready to suffer all things for his name, that I may have a part in his kingdom with his saints.'

St. Serenus at his trial
Old Apr 5, '12, 3:21 pm

Default Re: Patron Saints of Gardening -- not your typical list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
Don't forget St. Serenus the Gardener!

'Serenus abandoned his home and people to live as a hermit in Sirmiun, Pannonia (modern Hungary) where he directed his thought to prayer, his labour to working a garden of fruit and herbs.

One day he found a woman and her daughters walking in the garden around noon. He recommended they withdraw, and return in the cool of the evening, but the way he said it led her to believe he was simply chasing them out. The woman‘s husband was an imperial guard, and he convinced Emperor Maximian to avenge this imagined insult. Serenus was arrested and brought to trial, but simply repeated what he had said, and was immediately acquitted. However, his demeanor led the judge to suspect that Serenus was a Christian, which was illegal. When questioned about it, Serenus admitted his faith. He was ordered to sacrifice to pagan gods; he refused, and was sentenced to death.'

- P.S.I.

'It has pleased God to reserve me for this present time. It seemed awhile ago as if he rejected me as a stone unfit to enter his building, but he has the goodness to take me now to be placed in it; I am ready to suffer all things for his name, that I may have a part in his kingdom with his saints.'

St. Serenus at his trial
Lovely! Thank you

Gertie

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Gardening Group