Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 6, '12, 12:35 am

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Post Homosexual activists plan protest at San Francisco’s oldest Catholic Church on Good Friday

“The Catholic Church is still to blame”
Homosexual activists say they will descend today on San Francisco’s oldest Catholic Church for Good Friday protest

Today at 5:30 p.m. members of “ACT UP” and other anti-Catholic groups have announced they will descend on San Francisco’s Mission Dolores Church and place ashes from AIDS victims on the landmark church’s steps to protest what they claim is the complicity of the Catholic Church in the deadly epidemic.

Mission Dolores was founded on June 29, 1776, the feast of Saints Peter and Paul, by Franciscan friars under the leadership of the Fr. Francisco Palou and the direction of Fr. Junipero Serra. It is the oldest Catholic church in the Archdiocese of San Francisco, and the oldest building in San Francisco. In addition, the mission is “the oldest original intact Mission in California,” according to the church’s website. The parish includes Mission Dolores Basilica and the Old Mission.

An event listing on the LGBTQI/Queer page of San Francisco’s IndyBay Media, a radical leftist website, reads, in part:

“The march will link the issues of gentrification and lack of affordable housing faced by people with HIV/AIDS and our communities today by starting at Wells Fargo, a major profiteer of the housing crisis. The march will continue to the steps of Mission Dolores Church, marking Good Friday and protesting the Catholic Church's continued role of condemning people to die of AIDS globally and repression of sexual freedom and health here at home -- by blocking access to condoms, and restricting access to reproductive health and abortion. Ashes of those who died during the epidemic in SF will be placed on the steps of Dolores Church… Its [sic] 25 years since we started ACT UP and the Catholic Church is still to blame.”

ACT UP (which stands for AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power) began in 1987, and has regularly targeted the Catholic Church. In December 1989, thousands of ACT UP protestors disrupted Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York over the archdiocese’s position against the distribution of condoms and its opposition to abortion -- themes echoed in ACT UP San Francisco’s planned activities today at Mission Dolores.

Ironically, the Catholic Church in San Francisco was the first and best responder to the city’s AIDS epidemic. Moreover, the availability of condoms does not seem to correspond with HIV infection rates. The most recent study from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control shows that 61% of new HIV infections are among homosexual men -- about 2% of the population of the United States. The CDC study also showed that the only group in which new HIV infections are increasing is among young homosexual men -- a group not known for following the teachings of the Catholic Church. What abortion has to do with the AIDS epidemic is unclear.

Mission Dolores Church is located two blocks from Mission Dolores Park, which, for the past decade, has also been the site of the infamous Easter Sunday “Hunky Jesus” contest -- an event where the “Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence” mock the passion and death of Jesus Christ.

ACT UP says that, since the AIDS epidemic began, almost 20,000 San Francisco residents have lost their lives to the disease -- and another 16,000 are living with the illness today.

“This Good Friday we will mourn our dead and fight like hell for the living here in San Francisco and around the world," says the ACT UP announcement.

http://calcatholic.com/news/newsArti...0-3288c39ae57a

http://saintanthonylostandfound.blogspot.com/

Monterey Bay Area Traditional Latin Mass
http://montereybayarea-tlm.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/MontereyLatinMass
www.MontereyLatinMass.org
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:05 am
Banned

Default Re: Homosexual activists plan protest at San Francisco’s oldest Catholic Church on Good Friday

I lost my pity for the voices of the angry and dissident.

Considering Catholics call homosexuals to a life of chastity, I fail to see how that belief aided in the spread of AIDS. They're taking the deaths of these AIDS victims and are desecrating them in order to make some cheap (and weak I might add) blows against the Catholic Church.

I just wish something would show these activists how ideologically blind they are to their immoral lifestyle!
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:12 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: Homosexual activists plan protest at San Francisco’s oldest Catholic Church on Good Friday

These people are going too far, they are going to lose any respect and sympathy people may have for them. This will bind Catholics closer together who are going to the mass.
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:21 am

Religion: Catholic

I don't suppose it's occurred to the protestors that the Catholic Church is the single largest relief entity for the AIDS epidemic in Africa, where people do not have government support for medication, diagnosis is late, and people are literally dropping like flies?

"Lord, spare us from sour-faced saints!"---St. Teresa of Avila
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:32 am

Religion: catholic

What abortion has to do with the AIDS epidemic is unclear.

The gay movement needs to add the sin of abortion to its' agenda, to ensure greater coverage for their causes. As, reportedly, the homosexual community is 1% of the world population, the 'secular female' population is required to increase numbers to support and ensure greater media coverage.
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:33 am
Banned

Religion: Unknown - mysterious, eh?
Talking Re: Homosexual activists plan protest at San Francisco’s oldest Catholic Church on Good Friday

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:40 am

Religion: Beaten-up Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah_Betrayed View Post

Considering Catholics call homosexuals to a life of chastity, I fail to see how that belief aided in the spread of AIDS.
Good point......and it should be rammed down the throats of these individuals.
Quote:
They're taking the deaths of these AIDS victims and are desecrating them in order to make some cheap (and weak I might add) blows against the Catholic Church.
Let `em do it: the more they make spectacles of themselves, the better it is for us. Individuals with darkened intellects become irrational

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
These people are going too far, they are going to lose any respect and sympathy people may have for them. This will bind Catholics closer together who are going to the mass.
From our perspective, that`s the best thing that could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odile53 View Post
I don't suppose it's occurred to the protestors that the Catholic Church is the single largest relief entity for the AIDS epidemic in Africa, where people do not have government support for medication, diagnosis is late, and people are literally dropping like flies?
Do you think they`d let a vital piece of truth like that get in the way of their depraved agenda?
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odile53 View Post
Wouldn't prevention be better than relief? Oh wait... condoms aren't allowed. I forgot, silly me. LOL.
Old Apr 6, '12, 3:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantanz View Post
Wouldn't prevention be better than relief? Oh wait... condoms aren't allowed. I forgot, silly me. LOL.

Say what you are attempting to openly (whilst been respectful of the Church) instead of ripping bits of scripture out of context and hiding your faith and dialogue with you might be constructive. The verse you quoted does not reflect what the Church teaches about homosexuals for that matter.
Old Apr 6, '12, 4:21 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Say what you are attempting to openly (whilst been respectful of the Church) instead of ripping bits of scripture out of context and hiding your faith and dialogue with you might be constructive. The verse you quoted does not reflect what the Church teaches about homosexuals for that matter.
The church doesn't teach what's in the bible? Wow... because I just read that passage in my bible... I'd hate to think what was written in the bible WASN'T TRUE!
Old Apr 6, '12, 4:24 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantanz View Post
The church doesn't teach what's in the bible? Wow... because I just read that passage in my bible... I'd hate to think what was written in the bible WASN'T TRUE!
We are not a sola scriptura faith though I submit the balance of evidence thus far suggests you are merely taking the mickey.
Old Apr 6, '12, 4:26 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Sort of in keeping with the old WWJD bumper stickers, I thought what would be the most profound and loving response the Church could give to these people who attempt to disrupt services.
This is my thought.

When the ashes of the aids victims are placed on the steps of the Church, the priest should have prepared a small service including prayers for the dead who have been brought to the Church, and possibly even a sprinkling with holy water of the urns. In fact, I think it would be both good and proper if those in attendance cried and grieved over these victims. Christ died for them too.

Of course I don't know the particulars of what might be "liturgically proper" in such a case, but I do know that, while Jesus incarnate did not sin nor does He condone sin, He did walk among sinners, eat with sinners, and talk with them.
Jesus' method of resistance to sin is to love the sinner away from sin and into holiness. I hope that those attending services at Mission Dolores will be properly loving in the face of this protest.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Apr 6, '12, 4:31 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
Sort of in keeping with the old WWJD bumper stickers, I thought what would be the most profound and loving response the Church could give to these people who attempt to disrupt services.
This is my thought.

When the ashes of the aids victims are placed on the steps of the Church, the priest should have prepared a small service including prayers for the dead who have been brought to the Church, and possibly even a sprinkling with holy water of the urns. In fact, I think it would be both good and proper if those in attendance cried and grieved over these victims. Christ died for them too.

Of course I don't know the particulars of what might be "liturgically proper" in such a case, but I do know that, while Jesus incarnate did not sin nor does He condone sin, He did walk among sinners, eat with sinners, and talk with them.
Jesus' method of resistance to sin is to love the sinner away from sin and into holiness. I hope that those attending services at Mission Dolores will be properly loving in the face of this protest.

Peace
James
A marvellous. As an aside my late mother spent many years nursing terminally ill AiDS patients alongs with the Sisters of the order who founded the Hospice she worked in. None of the sisters or nurses concentrated on the sexual proclivities of their patients, they were only interested in giving care and comfort to their patients and many were deeply upset by the great pain and suffering their patients underwent, regarldess of the old mantra that medicall professionals should never get too involved in the sufferings of their patients.
Old Apr 6, '12, 4:35 am
Banned

Quote:
We are not a sola scriptura faith though I submit the balance of evidence thus far suggests you are merely taking the mickey.
That's actually why I'm here... I'm trying to understand why a friend of mine has adopted Catholicism... he sent me here. I find it hard to understand which bits should and shouldn't be taken literally, or need to be interpreted...

Sorry, not meaning to take the Mickey, just trying to understand the contradictions...

But I was quite serious about the condom thing... why tell people they can't use them? Surely using condoms would be a better way to handle the AIDS epidemic in Africa? And by the way, AIDS is FAR more prevalent in heterosexual females than homosexuals... but that's another topic altogether ;-)
Old Apr 6, '12, 4:37 am
Banned

Quote:
A marvellous. As an aside my late mother spent many years nursing terminally ill AiDS patients alongs with the Sisters of the order who founded the Hospice she worked in. None of the sisters or nurses concentrated on the sexual proclivities of their patients, they were only interested in giving care and comfort to their patients and many were deeply upset by the great pain and suffering their patients underwent, regarldess of the old mantra that medicall professionals should never get too involved in the sufferings of their patients.
She sounds like she was a wonderful woman

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News