Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 7, '12, 10:22 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Why do some traditional Catholics reject the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary?

Hey everyone. Why do some traditional Catholics reject the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary? This is something I never understood.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Apr 7, '12, 11:39 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

Default Re: Why do some traditional Catholics reject the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hey everyone. Why do some traditional Catholics reject the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary? This is something I never understood.
A). The 150 prayers in the "traditional" Rosary are supposed to match the 150 Psalms; it does not seem the same with 200.

B). Changing the Rosary seems over the top to some traditionalists, despite the high regard in which JP2 was held.

ICXC NIKA
Old Apr 8, '12, 1:46 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Why do some traditional Catholics reject the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEddie View Post
A). The 150 prayers in the "traditional" Rosary are supposed to match the 150 Psalms; it does not seem the same with 200.

B). Changing the Rosary seems over the top to some traditionalists, despite the high regard in which JP2 was held.

ICXC NIKA
Oh okay. I see now. Thanks!

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:31 am

I don't "reject" them, but for many reasons I don't use them.

If I do ever say them, it would be additionally on top of the usual Joyful mysteries on Thursday.

John Paul II was himself very clear that these are offered for consideration ... there is no problem from his own encyclical in not using them.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:46 am

Religion: Latin Church Catholic

They're not a part of the rosary. They were put forth by Bl. Pope John Paul II to the faithful who wished to include them. I don't pray them for a few reasons. They wreak havoc on the daily and seasonal schedule. They detract from the imagery of the rosary being Our Lady's Psalter. And the traditional 15 mysteries have been good enough for the likes of Saint Louis and Saint Alphonsus.

Pray them if you want. I won't condemn you for it. I just don't want to pray them.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:55 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkcatholic View Post
John Paul II was himself very clear that these are offered for consideration ... there is no problem from his own encyclical in not using them.
The whole Rosary is offered for our consideration, and it's no problem to never pray one. Also, that "prayers matching the psalms" thing is not historical, more coincidental.

I don't know if anyone has read Rosarium Virginis Mariae -

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo...mariae_en.html

These are now my favorite mysteries.
Old Apr 10, '12, 10:26 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

A friend and I were in the priest's office at my EF FSSP parish. I was trying to explain to her some of the unique things about the EF missal. I said, "The Baronius Press missal has a couple of "modern" additions that were required to make it acceptable for print with an imprimitur, like the Divine Mercy chaplet I think, but there are other parts that have changed in modern liturgy but were not added to the missal. For example, the Luminous Mysteries are not in the missal, and we do not say them when we do the public rosary here in the EF." She looked horrified and said, "Never?" I said, "Nope, never."

I've never heard them downplayed or anything, it's just not part of the public liturgy at our parish. I don't pray them privately either, mostly because I'm such a new Catholic that they never really became a huge part of my prayer live anyway and I don't really miss them. And like others have said, if it's good enough for the saints for hundreds of years, it's good enough for me.

Or, to put it another way, I do not feel my soul will be lost if I do not incorporate those mysteries into my prayer life, so I keep it simple and pray the same prayers as my parish does.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, pray for us!

Old Apr 10, '12, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
The whole Rosary is offered for our consideration, and it's no problem to never pray one. Also, that "prayers matching the psalms" thing is not historical, more coincidental.
Apples and oranges. Read what the Popes, including Bl. John Paul II, said about the rosary in general. Words like "should pray," "powerful," "daily," come to mind. It's not required but highly highly encouraged.

The Luminous Mysteries? Read what Bl. John Paul II wrote about it. It's not even "recommended" just "offered."

They are not on the same level at all.

Nothing against those that use them.
Old Apr 10, '12, 11:12 am

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen

The rosary is not,and never has been a "required" prayer or part of public prayer of the Church. It is a private devotion, that one can choose to pray or not.

I, myself, found myself praying the rosary a lot more when JPII added the Luminous mysteries- meditating on the public acts of Jesus helps me to guide my own "public life".

As my spiritual director says-
"Pray as you can, not as you can't. What matters is that you pray!!

Musings From One of the Women
Old Apr 10, '12, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneofthewomen View Post
The rosary is not,and never has been a "required" prayer or part of public prayer of the Church. It is a private devotion, that one can choose to pray or not.
Yes but there are many types of "not required."

Perhaps of those things not required, after Daily Mass and the Office, there is nothing more promoted than the Rosary. Taking the words of Our Lady in approved apparitions, the Rosary is even more emphasized than the Office, for the laity! (For clerics, obligations to the Office obviously are more important).

The Scapular promise requires the Rosary or the Little Office.
Most religious orders include a form of the rosary in their rule.

So the rosary is, yes, not required, but it's one of the most highly encouraged not-required devotions there is.

The luminous mysteries are not of the same character. We are free to use them, but if someone wants to pray and with the mind of the Church, after Mass, I'd definitely say the Rosary (with or without Luminous mysteries) and the Office (or Little Office) come next, along with contemplative prayer.

Novenas, other chaplets, Stations, are all wonderful things, but are not in the category of the Rosary.
Old Apr 10, '12, 11:41 am

"Also, that "prayers matching the psalms" thing is not historical, more coincidental."

Nope, you're wrong there. Although there are many chaplet/Rosary systems to pray, the one most people know (the 150 one) was indeed designed to match up with the number of the Psalms. Monks and those who say the Office used to say all 150 in the course of the week, and many laypeople who could read or memorize the Psalms would do the same. Others would remember just the first line and pray that. But laypeople who couldn't would say 150 Our Fathers, or eventually, 150 Hail Marys or Glory Bes. The three decade, 150 bead Rosary is a combination of these practices. The development of meditating on various sets of Mysteries instead of the Christological meanings of the Psalms was also fairly late in the game, albeit still pretty early in the Middle Ages.

However, you can always take the extra 50 beads as representing various other things related to Christ, like Messianic prophecies outside the Psalms or canticles, and so forth.
Old Apr 10, '12, 12:04 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate (St-Benoît-du-Lac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
"Also, that "prayers matching the psalms" thing is not historical, more coincidental."

Nope, you're wrong there. Although there are many chaplet/Rosary systems to pray, the one most people know (the 150 one) was indeed designed to match up with the number of the Psalms. Monks and those who say the Office used to say all 150 in the course of the week, and many laypeople who could read or memorize the Psalms would do the same. Others would remember just the first line and pray that. But laypeople who couldn't would say 150 Our Fathers, or eventually, 150 Hail Marys or Glory Bes. The three decade, 150 bead Rosary is a combination of these practices. The development of meditating on various sets of Mysteries instead of the Christological meanings of the Psalms was also fairly late in the game, albeit still pretty early in the Middle Ages.

However, you can always take the extra 50 beads as representing various other things related to Christ, like Messianic prophecies outside the Psalms or canticles, and so forth.
A note about monks. It's not correct to say that they pray 150 psalms in a week. Those using the Benedictine Divine Office (schema A in the current usage) actually pray 225 psalms in a week (some minor variations are possible). Obviously there are many repetitions. However the Rule of St. Benedict gives individual monasteries the right to use a different schema provided at least 150 are said in a week.
Old Apr 10, '12, 12:06 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate (St-Benoît-du-Lac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
A note about monks. It's not correct to say that they pray 150 psalms in a week. Those using the Benedictine Divine Office (schema A in the current usage) actually pray 225 psalms in a week (some minor variations are possible). Obviously there are many repetitions. However the Rule of St. Benedict gives individual monasteries the right to use a different schema provided at least 150 are said in a week.
The Carthusians have a similar arrangement except that not all hours are said in choir.
Old Apr 10, '12, 12:07 pm

I'm with GEddie on this issue.
Old Apr 10, '12, 6:30 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
I don't understand either. For me the Rosary was made complete by including the Luminous Mysteries which are about the public ministry of Christ. I like them.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism