Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 9, '12, 8:14 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default HOP the movie

My MIL bought my boys (ages 5 and under) the movie HOP for Easter, along with some other straight-to-movie DVDs. I watched HOP with them last night thinking it'd be real cute, but I can't get over the scene where the Easter-Bunny-elect runs away from Easter Island and when he comes to the U.S. you see him at the Playboy Mansion. It doesn't SHOW anything, but you know what the bunny on the gate satnds for and he's talking to Hugh Heffner over the intercom and he says "this place is only for sexy bunnys." The Easter-Bunny-elect say to him "I'm a bunny, and I'm sexy."

The rest of the movie is pretty tame despite some punky music, but this scene alone is enough for me to throw the movie out. A lady at work (a gramma herself) said she'd buy it from me. I've become notorious with DH for throwing out movies with bad content, so it'd just be one more strike against me.

One issue I'm facing is that gramma ALWAYS gets the boys movies for special occasions. So the kids are all geared up to watch them when we get home and I'm tired of the overabundance of movies we're piling up. I prefer movies to be a treat and it has to be something I can tolerate sitting thru with the kids. I just wish there was a way to let gramma know we'd rather have McDonald's or DQ gift cards instead of movies, or movie passes from the theatre.

Anybody else have to be the bad guy with screening content at their home?
Old Apr 9, '12, 8:35 am
Veteran Member

Default Re: HOP the movie

Here's a review...

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/movies/11mv036.htm

Quote:
The film contains some mildly rude humor. The Catholic News Service classification is A-II -- adults and adolescents. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG -- parental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.

So you had the right idea to not keep it. I belive that you have little children? (pre-school age)

My children - the 2 older ones can see "PG" films but they will soon be 11 and 8. When they were younger I would keep it to rated G, and TV-Y, TV Y-7.

The link I gave has many reveiws.

Saturday, my youngest (3) watched Winnie the Pooh, which was pretty fluffy and benign, but there was no mention at all of what the meaning of Easter is. Only that Easter is a time to be caring and sharing. I think Roo was upset that Easter would be cancelled because of Rabbit not wanting to be Easter bunny.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Apr 9, '12, 4:21 pm
Banned

Sadly, part of being a parent these days includes previewing and researching even gifts that grandma gives.
Old Apr 9, '12, 7:16 pm

We have had a similar problem. Grandparents thinking that because it is a cartoon, it's completely appropriate for children. Unfortunately that is just not true anymore.

What we have started doing is building a library for FAMILY movies that are appropriate- The Sound of Music, Ben-Hur, Pollyanna, Mary Poppins, the new Chronicles of Narnia movies.... this Easter we got our kids Swiss Family Robinson, Follow Me Boys, and Johnny Tremaine. There are a ton of awesome movies out there that are really great for the whole family, not just brain candy for the kids. We watch these with our kids, maybe one a week, sometimes broken up over several nights.

We actually spent an entire month watching the extended versions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy with them- even the 3 year old (who is now convinced that Eowyn is the best 'princess' ever). During Holy Week we watched Ben-Hur in hour-long segments and the kids LOVED it. They are so much more relaxing than watching most modern kids cartoon movies that are so high energy and fast paced, I find. I have a son with sensory processing issues and we CANNOT let him watch the high energy, fast paced movies in general, but watching an episode of Little House on the Prairie or a segment of a live-action, older movie that is slower paced does not affect him.

We do own some 'favorite' cartoons- a couple of Disney princess movies (including Tangled, which is new). Some Pixar movies, a few older Disney cartoons (like Robin Hood). They get to watch those on the rare occasion, but we never watch them as family movies, because their dad and I pretty much can't stand them anymore.

Is there anyway you think you could approach MIL and say, "You know, as the kids LOVE getting movies from you for holidays. They really look forward to it. Unfortunately, they are really outgrowing a lot of the kids cartoon movies. We thought we'd try and build our family movie library with some classic, timeless movies that we can all enjoy as a family. If you are okay with suggestions, I have thought of a few. Let me know and we can talk more about it if you are interested." Or something like that?

Wife to my hockey-lovin', Canadian guy
Mom to two boys , and three girls
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:45 am
Book Club Member

The response I'm working on right now for MIL is one I picked up from a homeschooling mother of 8. People are always giving her clothes and this is not a great need of theirs. Something that would really be special for the kids is McDonald's, Sonic and DQ gift cards b/c they rarely eat out. I'm thinking these would be more ideal (and less costly) gifts for my kids. It'd be a treat for me too not to have to cook for a night or have dishes to pick up. And we could get out of the house and have a picnic at the park or something. Just gotta finesse it. I must say, despite the slip-up, MIL is the BEST at always giving little gifts to the kids for just about any little occasion.
Old Apr 11, '12, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCecilia View Post
The response I'm working on right now for MIL is one I picked up from a homeschooling mother of 8. People are always giving her clothes and this is not a great need of theirs. Something that would really be special for the kids is McDonald's, Sonic and DQ gift cards b/c they rarely eat out. I'm thinking these would be more ideal (and less costly) gifts for my kids. It'd be a treat for me too not to have to cook for a night or have dishes to pick up. And we could get out of the house and have a picnic at the park or something. Just gotta finesse it. I must say, despite the slip-up, MIL is the BEST at always giving little gifts to the kids for just about any little occasion.
I'd throw the movie out I do it all the time. the gift cards are a great idea, but just to let you know Ronald Mcdonald house and Sonic have been affiliated with Planned Parenthood in the past. I think DQ and Burger King are ok
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:56 pm

Send a message via AIM to surfinpure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore11 View Post
Sadly, part of being a parent these days includes previewing and researching even gifts that grandma gives.
Boy, if that isn't the truth.

My husband and I have to be "bad guys" all the time about movies and TV shows, and our oldest is only eight. But the battle we have with Grandma is more about the junk food she brings into the house at every turn. Donuts, ice cream, cake, cookies, candy, chocolate, french fries, chicken-y nuggets ... the list goes on. I tell her after the kids have their ONE indulgence she'd better take the addictive stuff right back out to her car or it's going into the garbage.

And now she knows I mean it. Bad mommy, I know. lol
~C.S. LEWIS
Old Apr 12, '12, 7:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinpure View Post

My husband and I have to be "bad guys" all the time about movies and TV shows, and our oldest is only eight. But the battle we have with Grandma is more about the junk food she brings into the house at every turn. Donuts, ice cream, cake, cookies, candy, chocolate, french fries, chicken-y nuggets ... the list goes on. I tell her after the kids have their ONE indulgence she'd better take the addictive stuff right back out to her car or it's going into the garbage.

Yeah, we had a child on a feeding tube who was failure to thrive. Im one of the only parents who said "Ice cream for breakfast? Sure honey as long as you are eating calories." the other kids look at me like I am nuts. "daddy, why do I have to have toast for breakfast but she gets ice cream and cookies?"
Old Apr 12, '12, 8:07 pm

Send a message via AIM to surfinpure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore11 View Post
Yeah, we had a child on a feeding tube who was failure to thrive. Im one of the only parents who said "Ice cream for breakfast? Sure honey as long as you are eating calories." the other kids look at me like I am nuts. "daddy, why do I have to have toast for breakfast but she gets ice cream and cookies?"
How funny! We have one with a chewing/swallowing disorder, and she gets "special food" all the time. Her brothers have stopped asking why.
~C.S. LEWIS
Old Apr 13, '12, 6:43 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinpure View Post

Yep, I actually just posted about this the other day. I've come to accept the junkies from gramma and papa just b/c they're rare enough it isn't a big problem. I actually haven't come out and confess to them that I trash the junkies after they're gone, not sure it would really matter, but DH knows I do this and he hates it b/c HE wants in on the action since I quit keeping that stuff in the house. Lately, though, we've been having get-togethers and outings just about every weekend, so those have been our indulgences. I myself have grown really sensitive to junk food in the past 6 months, so if I eat something outside of my normal (narrow) diet, it takes me several days to recouperate before doing it all over again :P

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting