Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 9, '12, 8:31 am
Aeden Aeden is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 705
Religion: Catholic
Default A serious question on receiving Communion.

Ok, this is a very serious question I have about Easter communion. I was not able to make confession before Easter and was in a state of mortal sin. In the end, I did not receive communion. Here's my question: was it a worse sin to not receive during Easter or to receive during Easter in a state of mortal sin?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 9, '12, 8:40 am
marty1818 marty1818 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 29, 2005
Posts: 1,230
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to marty1818
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

It is a mortal sin to receive the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin so it is good that you did not receive. One is only obliged to receive the Eucharist in the Easter Season which lasts until Pentecost so you still have time. Go to confession and then you can receive this season.
From the Code of Canon Law:
2042 The third precept ("You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season") guarantees as a minimum the reception of the Lord's Body and Blood in connection with the Paschal feasts, the origin and center of the Christian liturgy.84
__________________
Totus Tuus Maria
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 9, '12, 8:48 am
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,939
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeden View Post
Here's my question: was it a worse sin to not receive during Easter or to receive during Easter in a state of mortal sin?
It wasn't a sin at all to "not" receive.

You may be confused about the "Easter duty". Catholics are to receive communion at least once during the Easter *season*, not necessarily on Easter Sunday. In the US, the Easter Season extends from the beginning of Lent to Pentecost.
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 9, '12, 9:20 am
SwizzleStick's Avatar
SwizzleStick SwizzleStick is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2008
Posts: 9,156
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeden View Post
Ok, this is a very serious question I have about Easter communion. I was not able to make confession before Easter and was in a state of mortal sin. In the end, I did not receive communion. Here's my question: was it a worse sin to not receive during Easter or to receive during Easter in a state of mortal sin?
To receive our Lord while in the state of mortal sin would be to also commit a sacrilege. It was wise that you did not receive Him and commit further sin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 9, '12, 9:26 am
SwizzleStick's Avatar
SwizzleStick SwizzleStick is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2008
Posts: 9,156
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Aeden, here is a Q&A from the Ask an Apologist forum which you might find helpful.

"Is it considered scrupulous to abstain from Communion when in mortal sin?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Is it considered scrupulous to obstain from communion when you are aware of sin and need to go to confession? It is my understanding that it is profane to receive the Body of Christ when you are aware of mortal sin. I simply need to foster enough courage to go to confession. Thanks and god bless your ministry.

Onthefly

Re: Is it considered scrupulous to abstain from Communion when in mortal sin?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear On,

We are obliged not to receive the Eucharist when in the state of mortal sin. To do so would be another sin; the sin of sacrilege. Get yourself to Confession. If you were in the danger of death, you would waste no time in availing yourself of that sacrament. The fact is, how do you know that you aren't in the danger of death? Be prepared. Besides, the Lord diserves your contrition and repentence. He went through a lot to provide you with such an opportunity. You matter to Him. You will find such love no where esle!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.


Is it considered scrupulous to abstain from Communion when in mortal sin?
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=64710
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 9, '12, 9:27 am
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,041
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeden View Post
Ok, this is a very serious question I have about Easter communion. I was not able to make confession before Easter and was in a state of mortal sin. In the end, I did not receive communion. Here's my question: was it a worse sin to not receive during Easter or to receive during Easter in a state of mortal sin?
You did the right thing! Your conscience is being formed well.
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 9, '12, 9:41 am
IsabelG's Avatar
IsabelG IsabelG is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

But I was told by a priest that even if I believed I were in the state of mortal sin, if I really WANTED to go to Confession and even TRIED to go but was unable, I could receive Communion in peace and go to Confession as soon as possible...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 9, '12, 9:49 am
Aeden Aeden is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 705
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

My guess was that the priest said that because of perfect contrition freeing you from sin if you are literally unable to go to confession. I can't drive yet, and my parents didn't take me because they didn't know I was in mortal sin. Truth be told, I haven't received in over a year, my less than commendable thoughts keep getting in the way.

Basically, the reason he said that was probably this: if you tried to go, couldn't go and were sorry for offending God (not because of the risk of burning) you soul freed from sin providing that you go to confession at the nearest opportunity. I've never felt comfortable with receiving, even if I think I have managed perfect contrition, mostly because I could be wrong and just tricking myself.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:01 am
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,041
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeden View Post
My guess was that the priest said that because of perfect contrition freeing you from sin if you are literally unable to go to confession. I can't drive yet, and my parents didn't take me because they didn't know I was in mortal sin. Truth be told, I haven't received in over a year, my less than commendable thoughts keep getting in the way.

Basically, the reason he said that was probably this: if you tried to go, couldn't go and were sorry for offending God (not because of the risk of burning) you soul freed from sin providing that you go to confession at the nearest opportunity. I've never felt comfortable with receiving, even if I think I have managed perfect contrition, mostly because I could be wrong and just tricking myself.
The bottom line is the the Church is very clear about not receiving in a state of mortal sin. People often use the "prefect contrition" excuse to justify their actions. They start to base their religion on how they feel to avoid following what the Church teaches. That is plain and simple moral relativism. You make a very intelligent comment when you say: I've never felt comfortable with receiving, even if I think I have managed perfect contrition, mostly because I could be wrong and just tricking myself.. You know that this kind of rationalization is of the devil.
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:01 am
IsabelG's Avatar
IsabelG IsabelG is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

I don't believe Confession (or the inability to go) was meant to bind us in guilt like that. Our forgiveness IS paid for. I believe that it hurts Jesus more when we don't trust in His forgiveness, in His Divine Mercy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:04 am
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,041
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabelG View Post
But I was told by a priest that even if I believed I were in the state of mortal sin, if I really WANTED to go to Confession and even TRIED to go but was unable, I could receive Communion in peace and go to Confession as soon as possible...
What your priest said is not always applicable. It is true only for specific cases described by the Church.
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:09 am
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,041
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabelG View Post
I don't believe Confession (or the inability to go) was meant to bind us in guilt like that. Our forgiveness IS paid for. I believe that it hurts Jesus more when we don't trust in His forgiveness, in His Divine Mercy.
You are mixing things that are independent. The sacrament of confession is not to bind us in guilt but to free us from guilt. Without it we cannot be freed from guilt. Our forgiveness is given offered by Jesus but if we do not accept it, through the sacrament of confession, than it means that we reject it and so we are not forgiven. Trust in Jesus is trust in His Church too, you cannot say that you trust in Him but you do not believe what He said when He gave the authority to the Church.
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:23 am
Ophelia23's Avatar
Ophelia23 Ophelia23 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 4, 2012
Posts: 2,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeden View Post
Ok, this is a very serious question I have about Easter communion. I was not able to make confession before Easter and was in a state of mortal sin. In the end, I did not receive communion. Here's my question: was it a worse sin to not receive during Easter or to receive during Easter in a state of mortal sin?
Blessings to you in this Easter season!

You did the right thing. By knowing you were in a state of Motal sin, you allowed your love and respect of Christ come before your need to receive the Eucharist.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:36 am
EasterJoy EasterJoy is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: March 26, 2008
Posts: 16,820
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabelG View Post
I don't believe Confession (or the inability to go) was meant to bind us in guilt like that. Our forgiveness IS paid for. I believe that it hurts Jesus more when we don't trust in His forgiveness, in His Divine Mercy.
We do not, however, want to avoid despair so ardently that we are willing to rush into presumption. The Victory of the Death and Resurrection of Our Lord has not made mortal sin or sacriledge impossible to commit, after all!

We have an ordinary means by which to be reconciled to the Lord when we have freely chosen with full knowledge committed a grave sin. The Church does not impose an unreasonable burden in guiding us to the Sacrament of Penance prior to approaching the altar for Holy Communion. Rather, it is more like a physician who forbids food for the patient with a belly wound until the wound has been repaired. The surgeon who would allow food might seem more compassionate, but that is not the case.

If it were truly impossible for a person to go to confession--for instance, if the person made a reasonable request to confess but was refused--or if the opportunites for both Mass and confession are truly rare, that is the situation you are describing. I think if it is merely that the person missed a hoped-for opportunity but can avail himself or herself of another opportunity in a matter of days, one does better to make the act of reverence to refrain from receiving Holy Communion in order to avoid sacrilege until the situation can be rectified.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 9, '12, 11:04 am
Aeden Aeden is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 705
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A serious question on receiving Communion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabelG View Post
I don't believe Confession (or the inability to go) was meant to bind us in guilt like that. Our forgiveness IS paid for. I believe that it hurts Jesus more when we don't trust in His forgiveness, in His Divine Mercy.
You are right, we shouldn't doubt God's infinite mercy. But here's the thing: it's like medicine: you have to take it. Perfect contrition is first aid for a 9mm to the chest, confession is a trip to the hospital for said 9mm. Perfect contrition will do if you have nothing else, but you must go to confession as soon as possible and your wound must be healed by those who know how.

Otherwise, it's like having medicine(confession) by your bed side, and not taking it because you trust your doctor (God) to heal you and keep you healthy, it is illogical.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8570Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5242CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3898Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3465Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3172For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SueZee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:52 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.