Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 9, '12, 3:32 pm
Banned

Religion: Latter-day Saint
Default Re: Mormon commentator Glenn Beck on the Vatican

Yes. Of all the people in the world to "soothe it over with the Catholics" (most of whom aren't even aware of any LDS temple in Rome) the LDS Church chooses a radio shock jock. Of course! That's the most reasonable explanation for Beck's praise of the Vatican.
Old Apr 9, '12, 3:37 pm

Religion: lapsed, but seeking Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I have to admit that this is the first time in many years that I've heard Glenn say anything that I agree with, almost wholeheartedly. I was a big fan of his for a long time, but over the years he changed a lot, mostly when he went from radio to TV. It got to the point that I couldn't listen to him anymore, because he was becoming more like a televangelist, than the conservative 'voice of reason' that I heard at the beginning of his national radio show (the day after 9-11).

A lot of people don't realize that he's LDS, now, but he was raised Catholic, and even went to Catholic school. He was the main reason that I started looking into Mormon beliefs, to try and understand why he would leave the RCC for it. I think changing his religion had much more to do with the fact that he somehow blames the Catholic Church for the loss of his mother to suicide. So, when he finally hit rock bottom in his days of drinking and doing drugs, he was looking for a church that was as far from Catholicism as he could find. About that time, his "best friend", Pat Gray (who is Mormon) did everything he could do to get him to go to the LDS church, and it worked.

What I find interesting about this video, is that over the past year or so, he's visited the Vatican several times. In the past, he has made some remarks about the Pope and the Church that were extremely 'uncharitable', to say the least. I was a member of the GB "Insiders" at the time, and I was very vocal on his message boards about his attitude toward the Church. I wanted him to know that I wasn't happy about it. I took a lot of flak from some other people (from Mormons and other non-Catholics) that thought I was being too critical of him, but I spoke my mind, anyway.

I'm hoping that his new interest in the Vatican is a sign that he might be considering returning to the Church, but I think it might just be what lax16 said. He might just be trying to 'build a bridge', trying to get the Vatican to be more receptive to the new LDS "temple" in Rome, as well as perhaps changing their position in recognizing the LDS church as being "Christian", although I doubt what he's doing will have any effect on either of those Church positions. I really don't think he's a big Romney fan, due to what he did in Massachusetts. He's been very vocal about that. I'm certainly not a fan of MR, either. The only reason I could see Glenn ever supporting him would be because he's LDS.
Glenn Beck is a Mormon, but from what I understand he's never been overly critical of any Christian faith, and certainly not Catholicism. He, more than anything, attempts to speak for Christian unity, because he feels that Christians (in which he obviously includes Mormonism) have common values and should form a united front.

I do hope that he's right about the Pope appointing conservative bishops as cardinals. I'd like to see the Roman Catholic Church return to a more conservative slant. I'd like to see the Latin Mass restored in the United States, where, (at least where I live), it is extremely difficult to find one.

He is right one thing for sure: all Christians should be supporting the Catholic Church in this controversy with Obama.

«...Conoscerete la verità, e la verità vi renderà liberi.».
(Giovanni 8:32)

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Old Apr 9, '12, 5:01 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Confundido View Post
Yes. Of all the people in the world to "soothe it over with the Catholics" (most of whom aren't even aware of any LDS temple in Rome) the LDS Church chooses a radio shock jock. Of course! That's the most reasonable explanation for Beck's praise of the Vatican.
I respectfully disagree. I was personally happy to hear that Beck said, essentially, that the Catholic Church is the only religion strong enough to possibly resist the onslaught of a secularism that is essentially pagan in its underpinnings. If the Soros/Obama group is able to roll over the Catholic Church, no religious group will be able to resist them.

I have personally thought the same thing for many, many years; long before I ever heard of Beck. I well remember when my son, then in college, wrote a paper essentially saying that. His professor was, in addition to being a PhD, also a Baptist minister, and he agreed entirely with my son's thesis.

No, I think Beck is sincere in what he's saying. I think he's telling what he truly believes and I think he's exactly correct in this assessment.
Old Apr 9, '12, 7:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I respectfully disagree. I was personally happy to hear that Beck said, essentially, that the Catholic Church is the only religion strong enough to possibly resist the onslaught of a secularism that is essentially pagan in its underpinnings. If the Soros/Obama group is able to roll over the Catholic Church, no religious group will be able to resist them.

I have personally thought the same thing for many, many years; long before I ever heard of Beck. I well remember when my son, then in college, wrote a paper essentially saying that. His professor was, in addition to being a PhD, also a Baptist minister, and he agreed entirely with my son's thesis.

No, I think Beck is sincere in what he's saying. I think he's telling what he truly believes and I think he's exactly correct in this assessment.
Maybe I didn't put enough in that last post. I found it quite absurd that anyone would entertain the idea that of all possible ulterior motives Mr. Beck could've had in saying something nice about the Catholic Church, it must be to "smooth things over" with American Catholics after the commencement of construction of an LDS building on the other side of the world which I'd wager the vast majority of American Catholics don't even know exists.
Old Apr 9, '12, 7:27 pm
Banned

Religion: Faithless Catholic / Pascal Catholic

All of the LDS friends I know, don't like Romney. I think that Glenn is sincere in his commentary on this considering the czar he helped get removed from the white house a couple years ago.
Old Apr 9, '12, 9:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Old School)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabiusMaximus View Post
Glenn Beck is a Mormon, but from what I understand he's never been overly critical of any Christian faith, and certainly not Catholicism. He, more than anything, attempts to speak for Christian unity, because he feels that Christians (in which he obviously includes Mormonism) have common values and should form a united front.

I do hope that he's right about the Pope appointing conservative bishops as cardinals. I'd like to see the Roman Catholic Church return to a more conservative slant. I'd like to see the Latin Mass restored in the United States, where, (at least where I live), it is extremely difficult to find one.

He is right one thing for sure: all Christians should be supporting the Catholic Church in this controversy with Obama.
I listened to him on radio for a very long time before he went to TV. As I said, he's been a lot more "PC" since that time. But, prior to his TV debut, he used to relish in every embarrassing incident in the news that put the Catholic Church in a negative light. He even had a 'theme song' made about "pedophile Priests" that he always played whenever he talked about news items related to the Catholic Church, especially when they were about those kinds of allegations. He also used to look for any kind of story about something the Pope (JPII at the time) might have said about faith or morals so he could twist it, and turn it into a means to belittle the Pope and the Church. Those were some of the things he did that really made me change my opinion of him enough to finally stop listening, even though I still liked him a lot. I knew a lot of those actions came from his experiences in the past that left their scars on him.

Don't get me wrong, even though things like that made me cringe and really ticked me off, I still agreed with most of his conservative political views. After a while, I just had to stop listening to him because he got way too depressing for me. His sense of humor and positive attitude all but disappeared and were replaced by a much more serious and negative attitude toward life in general. It got way too painful for me to listen to him anymore.

I certainly agree with you about what he said about the Pope appointing 'conservative' Cardinals, and that we all need to stand united against this whole Obama situation. If the Catholic Church can't stand up to it, then no other churches will have any chance of fighting it, either. The whole world has been putting a strangle hold on our religious freedoms over the past several decades. It's time for us all to stand up together and tell them, "That's enough!".

"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament." ~ Padré Pio
Old Apr 9, '12, 9:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessup View Post
All of the LDS friends I know, don't like Romney. I think that Glenn is sincere in his commentary on this considering the czar he helped get removed from the white house a couple years ago.
You can include me among them. I will not vote for Romney, and if I were ever to meet him I'd chastise him for his denying the faith. He's nothing more than a slick-talking salesman. I'm voting for Ron Paul in November.
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:51 pm
Greeter

Religion: Katholikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVH View Post
I'm not sure if you visited the website I referenced. This is really not about wheather or not Beck supports Romney. I am interested in what people think about his take on the Vatican and its fight against evil and the subsequent backlask against the Church that Beck is predicting (and which is already happening).
Yep sorry, I was responding to another poster's comment. Didn't mean to pull it off track.

My thoughts on Beck's take on the Vatican is that he has a very strong opinion on where he thinks our country is going. Say what you will about the man's politics but he is a big student of history. A big interest for him appears to be Nazi Germany and how they came to power and the tactics they used. Also Moa's Communist China and the former Soviet Union. I've heard him quote Martin Niemoller's "First They Came..." quote more than once on his show and I think he deeply believes it. I don't think he's doing it for ratings and I think he is sincere. I am not a big fan of Beck. I don't agree with everything he has to say politically and, him being a Mormon, I obviously don't agree with him spiritually but I think for him the cultural wars are simple, the struggle is between light and darkness. He sees the Catholic Church as an ally for the light and is going to defend it.

God bless

"I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers,
and you shall see the face of God."

The Spirit to the Ghost;
C.S. Lewis The Great Divorce
Old Apr 10, '12, 6:40 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
You can include me among them. I will not vote for Romney, and if I were ever to meet him I'd chastise him for his denying the faith. He's nothing more than a slick-talking salesman. I'm voting for Ron Paul in November.
Do not be deluded. That's a vote for Soros/Obama. If you fail to oppose evil other than by futile, albeit emotionally satisfying gesture, you are evil's supporter. I encourage you to think it out again.

Personally, I do not care for Romney. But one needs to keep in mind that no matter what Romney really believes, he would be politically incapable of crushing religion the way Obama intends and has accreted to himself the power to do. Romney would also be politically incapable of crushing the middle class, as Soros/Obama intends.
Old Apr 10, '12, 6:57 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Do not be deluded. That's a vote for Soros/Obama. If you fail to oppose evil other than by futile, albeit emotionally satisfying gesture, you are evil's supporter. I encourage you to think it out again.
Save me the claptrap. I'm principled, so I'll vote for the candidate who best represents me. Just because I won't play by your rules doesn't make me a "supporter of evil".

This forum is not helping the image of Catholics.
Old Apr 10, '12, 7:00 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
ah...so you are an obama supporter....
Old Apr 10, '12, 7:17 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: I want to be Catholic. I also follow elements of Buddhism.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Holy War 11

I always loved Glenn Beck. I love him even more now!
Old Apr 10, '12, 7:29 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanKnight View Post
ah...so you are an obama supporter....
No I'm not. I'm a Paul supporter. Clearly evident in my explicitly saying so.
Old Apr 10, '12, 7:32 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Save me the claptrap. I'm principled, so I'll vote for the candidate who best represents me. Just because I won't play by your rules doesn't make me a "supporter of evil".

This forum is not helping the image of Catholics.
One would not necessarily expect a forum that espouses Catholic principles to present a satisfactory image to those whose principles are otherwise.

Whether or not one agrees that one aids evil by acting in accordance with one's emotional proclivity, does not determine whether one is objectively supporting evil. But then, that, too, and the obligation to face objective truth is a Catholic principle and, presumably, presents a poor image to anyone who has a subjectively arrived-at view of good and evil.

Possibly this is not the ideal forum to recruit for diehard Ron Paul supporters. I will readily admit that, if Ron Paul was the nominee, I would put a bullet between my teeth and vote for him as the only means of opposing the evil of the current administration. I would not vote for my preferred (but unelectable) candidate, or for Mickey Mouse or for myself out of personal pique or vanity.

Some will, of course, and one assumes their motivations will be sufficient to them, subjectively. But that does not mean a properly motivated and informed Catholic is obliged to follow such a course of action, just because another feels it strongly.
Old Apr 10, '12, 7:36 am
Banned

Either we misunderstood each other or you're backpedalling. I was under the impression we were talking about the GOP primary. I will not vote for Romney in the primary. Like you, if Romney wins the nomination (which he likely is to do) I'll probably bite the bullet and hold my nose while pulling that lever. Then again, I may write Paul in. If I do, so what? How am I colluding with evil by voting for the candidate who I believe is best for the job and who is also not Obama?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions