Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 1, '12, 12:56 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is abortion ever morally right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minion View Post
Judging from the statistics for casual abortions and birth control in the US, not many seem to be traumatized.

Say what? http://www.jimandellen.org/gmuhome/abortion.html

And what if regret or mental issues occur 10+ years later. Statistics become harder and harder to quantify as time goes on.

And they are wholly irrelevant insofar as Church teaching is concerned. Debating what ifs when absolute pronouncements have been made is a futile exercise in pride, frankly.
Old Mar 1, '12, 1:22 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Man View Post

And what if regret or mental issues occur 10+ years later. Statistics become harder and harder to quantify as time goes on.

And they are wholly irrelevant insofar as Church teaching is concerned. Debating what ifs when absolute pronouncements have been made is a futile exercise in pride, frankly.
re: The Bolded.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Going through some of the "what-if's" can help a person to better understand and then to better explain to others.

Personally I come from the position of humbly accepting the teaching but asking questions (what ifs) to gain understanding.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Mar 1, '12, 1:38 pm

You would rather be killed than to know that you were conceived against your mother's will. Well I happen to personally know two people who were conceived through a rape and neither one agrees with you. To them, unlike yourself, this is not hypothetical but a fact of life; their life. You are really goin out on a limb when you speak for who can and cannot live and what constitutes "valid" methods of conception. God creates a soul in every human being and He does not discriminate against how one was conceived.

NO, abortion is NEVER morally right and we can argue this point until the cows come home but abortion is murder and that is NEVER morally right. Now, carry on with this thread and contiune to rationalize your viewpoints. The concise and succinct answer to your initial post is NO.......period.
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Mar 1, '12, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
re: The Bolded.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Going through some of the "what-if's" can help a person to better understand and then to better explain to others.

Personally I come from the position of humbly accepting the teaching but asking questions (what ifs) to gain understanding.

Peace
James

Try to understand the "what ifs" is different than asking if something infallible is right or not. Moot point.

If the effort is to agree, but better understand, go for it.
Old Mar 4, '12, 9:53 pm

Religion: Catholic

Thank you all again for your responses. I don't think I've said too much I haven't said before, but here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch86 View Post
You are absolutely right that it is unfair for a victim of rape to have to suffer through 9 months of a pregnancy she does not want.

It is, however, a greater injustice to kill the innocent child that was conceived in her womb.

As you can see, both options, abortion or carrying the pregnancy to term, entail some sort of injustice. Many of us are more likely to empathise with the mother because she is an adult with well-developed mental faculties as opposed to the child. Both mother and child, however, are human beings and it is gravely wrong to kill either one of them.

So it is unfair that she should have to carry the pregnancy to term. It's not her fault, and it's not a problem with God's law, but it is the fault and consequence of the actions of the rapist, who will have to suffer just punishment for his crime. While abortion may indeed alleviate the burden of pregnancy, it does nothing to reverse the rape that happened originally.

Killing an innocent child and potentially depriving him or her of decades of life for the sake of reducing a temporary burden, no matter how great, can never be right.
I guess it ultimately comes to this point, and I'm still not sure I can agree. Right of the mother reclaim some semblance of her life, or the right of the child to live, sacrificing the mother's way of life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch86 View Post
True morality is independent of circumstances. There will always be hard cases, however, and man will always be able to think of situations that might tempt him into doing the wrong thing. And that is because as humans, we are subject to Original Sin, and can easily be blinded from seeing the true horror of an act and thus attempt to rationalise it away because of a difficult situation.

It is an easy trap to fall into, and we all do it from time to time, but by letting ourselves be blinded and consciously rationalising certain acts based on circumstances, we break down the whole edifice of morality and turn right and wrong into nothing but mere opinion.
I agree. But I'm simply not certain if abortion fits this though to the tee though...one way or another, the mother's life is changed by pregnancy against her will, and forbidding her the option at all seems wrong to me as well.

Quote:
Now having said that....Let me point out that you did not answer my question.
In a nutshell it is this.
What crime has the Child committed that is worthy of Capital Punishment??

The obvious answer is none - and if the child is innocent than how can there be any justification for killing the child???
Yes, the child committed no crime at all. But the child is living at the expense of the mother physically.

Quote:
It is a holocaust. There are over 4000 abortions performed daily in the US alone. How many of those do you think fit into the - Rape, incest, life of the mother - criteria you mention in your OP?
I agree though that far too many people simply don't recognize it for what it truly is. that is why we need to educate others. The only way to reduce abortion is to change the minds of the public.
Agreed in this respect. A child should not be killed because the parents were being irresponsible.

Quote:
How is a 2 month old separate from it's mother?? How about a 2 year old or even a 10 year old?? This idea of geography makes no sense. The pregnant woman looks down at her "belly", or in a mirror and sees the result of the trauma. The mother of the two month old looks down into her arms and sees the results of the trauma as she cradles the child, the mother with the 10 year old looks across the table and sees the result of the trauma...
Yet - in the case of a child two months BEFORE birth you advocate for killing, while the child two months AFTER birth you would never consent to kill...Do you see the inconsistency here??
I see what you're saying, but the baby is tethered in a physical way to the mother. The baby lives because the mother lives. If the mother dies, the baby likely dies as well.

Quote:
And that she can easily dispose of through the adoption process.
Life in an orphanage seems pretty grim too, with no guarantee of adoption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castello View Post
If somehow we are guaranteed the lifestyle we ask for, I DEMAND a refund!

I am certainly not living the lifestyle I asked for and I do not know any person who is. To kill someone because they hurt my lifestyle is the most selfish reason of all to kill.
However, an abortion does allow the mother to reclaim how she previously lived to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Have you ever known or spoken to a woman who has had an abortion? It doesn't matter when the abortion is performed, the woman KNOWS on a cellular level that a baby, that was created within her body and that was being grown and nourished BY her body, has been ripped out of place. This is physiological, psychological and spiritual knowledge. It is ALWAYS traumatic.
Not everyone seems to feel the same guilt. Just a quick google search, but: http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2...uiltfree-story

Horrible, awful article, but there you have it.
Old Mar 4, '12, 9:59 pm

It is never ok to kill a baby just as it is never okay to kill another human being. In cases of incest and rape, their is no exception because that is still a human life in the womb of the mother. Nothing changes! If the woman were to abort the child, wouldn't she be adding to her trauma and sorrow?
Old Mar 4, '12, 10:00 pm

cont.

Quote:
Women who have been raped, and then had an abortion, have said without exception that the abortion was BY FAR the more traumatic experience. One account I read recently stated that the woman knew "the rapist had only taken a few minutes of my life, but I had taken my baby's ENTIRE LIFE. Who was the worse criminal?"

Abortion ALWAYS hurts women. It kills a baby, and destroys a woman. It is wrong, gravely sinful, and women have been and are lied to every. single. day.
Is there a specific source or statistics you can cite to point me to this? I would be interested in reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw85 View Post
I don't know that we're talking about rape but abortion. There are plenty of examples of God telling someone to kill someone else.

Of course God is goodness, but morality reflects goodness only by reference to God. God ordained our natures such that murder is bad. But this means he can also override that nature with specific and binding commands.
Morality reflects goodness only be reference to God, true, but that's because God is omniscient, and knows the ultimate circumstance of the killing he may command. If God commanded someone to commit rape, I would definitely question whether it's really God. Even to preserve the human race from extinction, someone could justify the rape of women to "save the species" and then say the abortion is a sin, preventing the woman from any other recourse. What worth is life if the quality of living could only be preserved by constant sin?

An extreme, almost sci-fi hypothetical scenario, but the point stands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Man View Post
Someone who doesn't question their faith can easily fall into fanaticism. What is someone's not raised Catholic, and raised with different values they never question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post
You would rather be killed than to know that you were conceived against your mother's will. Well I happen to personally know two people who were conceived through a rape and neither one agrees with you. To them, unlike yourself, this is not hypothetical but a fact of life; their life. You are really goin out on a limb when you speak for who can and cannot live and what constitutes "valid" methods of conception. God creates a soul in every human being and He does not discriminate against how one was conceived.

NO, abortion is NEVER morally right and we can argue this point until the cows come home but abortion is murder and that is NEVER morally right. Now, carry on with this thread and contiune to rationalize your viewpoints. The concise and succinct answer to your initial post is NO.......period.
I can also reverse this, and say you are really going out on a limb to tell a mother she is obligated to give birth to a child she never wished for. If the answer was really that cut and dry, debating abortion wouldn't really be an issue. No ever claims lying is good, adultery is good, stealing is good, etc., but those have been justified under certain circumstances. For example, a person lying to a Nazi SS officer that they have Jewish children hidden in his basement, or Robin Hood stealing from the wealthy because the King is taxing people to the point of poverty.

I don't like rationalizing my viewpoints, but they are what I'm thinking. I don't like the choices either way.
Old Mar 5, '12, 4:02 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Thank you all again for your responses. I don't think I've said too much I haven't said before, but here goes.
You are welcome. I think that we recognize that you are trying to work your way through this matter. I did too at one time. I'm confident that patience, prayer and reflection on God's Will will eventually bring you to the correct understanding

Quote:
I guess it ultimately comes to this point, and I'm still not sure I can agree. Right of the mother reclaim some semblance of her life, or the right of the child to live, sacrificing the mother's way of life?

I agree. But I'm simply not certain if abortion fits this though to the tee though...one way or another, the mother's life is changed by pregnancy against her will, and forbidding her the option at all seems wrong to me as well.

Yes, the child committed no crime at all. But the child is living at the expense of the mother physically.
I think that these statements contain the root of why you cannot get your head around the matter. And truthfully I don't know if we can ever explain it in a "convincing manner". It's something that you simply have to internalize and come to recognize in your heart.

As we have already pointed out, the woman's life is already irreparably changed by the rape - pregnancy or no pregnancy. That change will not go away if she has an abortion. True it will altar the timetable on her counseling by a few months but that is about all.
You want her to be able to reclaim some semblance of her life. So do we. But when and at what cost?? Is the few months of additional discomfort worth the life of the child?? Think about this carefully.
Carrying the child to term (with proper counseling) is a life affirming decision. It stems from Love - something that the rapist damaged and something the woman needs to reclaim and reestablish in her life. Love - God's Love - Affirmation - right thinking - creation - caring for life - giving of ones self for another. All of these things are contained in a decision to carry the child to term and then give it up for adoption to a loving and caring family. Carrying the child to term can be part of the healing process for the woman - especially if she is getting counseling -which she will need in any case.
Aborting the child is NOT life affirming. It is the very opposite. It is not loving, it is hateful. It is revenge - revenge taken against an innocent child for something the child did not do. It is selfish. A willingness to kill yes murder an innocent child for the sake of a few months of the woman's life.
A decision to abort contains in it Nothing that is useful for the woman to "reclaim her life" or her dignity. Killing the child will not make her hate the rapist less. It will not affirm her life. It does not support creation or bring anything positive out of the awful crime. It just adds another crime on top of the rape - and in this case it is a crime that the rape victim herself is guilty of.

No - I see nothing beneficial here for the rape victim in balancing "nine months of (life affirming) discomfort" vs the death of an innocent child.

Quote:
Life in an orphanage seems pretty grim too, with no guarantee of adoption.
There are generally waiting lists for infants. It's older children who are harder to place.

Quote:
I don't like rationalizing my viewpoints, but they are what I'm thinking. I don't like the choices either way.
I understand. You have to work from where you are.
The fact that you, "don't like the choices either way", is healthy. Now all you have to do is simplify the matter as to what is the lesser "evil" of the two choices that you don't like.
What is the lesser evil...sacrificing a few months to the giving of life? Or taking the life of another in order to save a few months discomfort?

Personally I see no alternative. the death of the child in the womb - the most innocent of all - is unconscionable.

Peace
James

for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Mar 5, '12, 7:45 pm

Quote:
cont.

Is there a specific source or statistics you can cite to point me to this? I would be interested in reading it.

Yes.

http://theunchoice.com/pdf/FactSheets/HardCases.pdf

http://www.theunchoice.com/specialre...ualassault.htm
Old Mar 18, '12, 5:42 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: soon to be in RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate13 View Post
Such a procedure would be sure to have risks associated with it, and the potential harm of staying in the womb would have to outweigh the harm that could come from transferring the child. The right to life outweighs the right to pursue happiness. Putting someones life in danger unnecessarily as a way to lessen the pain and suffering a woman might feel however great is not something I would see as being licit.
I definitely agree that life should weigh greater than happiness, but, if the procedure were made to be very safe, could it be considered okay?

Theoretically the procedure would also be beneficial to the child, too; I read on a Catholic psychology site (http://www.chastitysf.com/fantasies.htm, the quote is about 2/3 down the page) the following:
" For example, consider a woman, newly married to a man who turns out to be irresponsible, and now despairingly pregnant with a child she doesn’t want. Right in the womb that developing fetus will be “infected” psychologically with the belief that “It would be better if you were dead.” "
I'm fairly sure that, if the child were removed soon enough, this "psychological infection" would not occur, and thus the procedure would be to prevent the child from having self-destructive temptations later, among other things.
Old Mar 18, '12, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted_bagel View Post
I definitely agree that life should weigh greater than happiness, but, if the procedure were made to be very safe, could it be considered okay?

Theoretically the procedure would also be beneficial to the child, too; I read on a Catholic psychology site (http://www.chastitysf.com/fantasies.htm, the quote is about 2/3 down the page) the following:
" For example, consider a woman, newly married to a man who turns out to be irresponsible, and now despairingly pregnant with a child she doesn’t want. Right in the womb that developing fetus will be “infected” psychologically with the belief that “It would be better if you were dead.” "
I'm fairly sure that, if the child were removed soon enough, this "psychological infection" would not occur, and thus the procedure would be to prevent the child from having self-destructive temptations later, among other things.
OK, so being murdered in the womb will benefit the child?

Last edited by Julian Peters; Mar 20, '12 at 11:57 am. Reason: inappropriate
Old Mar 18, '12, 9:17 pm

Quote:
OK, so being murdered in the womb will benefit the child?
I believe that is the poster who was asking whether it would be alright to induce birth early in that case if it were possible to safely raise the baby outside the womb. My answer was it was a possibility if you could show the risk to the baby in the womb was greater than the risk of inducing birth early and helping the child develop outside the woman.

However I'm really confused by the example given above. The emotional distress of the woman can infect the child in her womb? I could possibly see the child being affected by this in indirect ways but not directly. Psychological reasons that threaten the child would by far by the hardest to justify in saying the child should be induced early, since they are so intangible and its very hard to ascertain just how much of a threat there is. You would be putting this intangible hard to quantify threat up against the real measurable threat involved in inducing birth early and trying to save a premature child. Very hard to justify depending on how safe your future technology could make the procedure.

Last edited by Julian Peters; Mar 20, '12 at 11:58 am. Reason: .
Old Mar 19, '12, 6:07 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: soon to be in RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate13 View Post
However I'm really confused by the example given above. The emotional distress of the woman can infect the child in her womb?
The psychology site listed in my previous post seemed to say that emotions can pass on from mother to child in the womb (but I'm not sure how credible the site is, now that I look back at it; it also seems to suggest that being tempted is a controllable psychological problem, not an uncontrollable attack from the devil)
Old Apr 10, '12, 1:18 am

I wanted to say that I have a personal stake in the issues of abortion; I lost two siblings to it, and my mother was very close to aborting me as well. I also lived in foster care (the united states does not have "orphanages" anymore, I believe), so when I say that it is better for a child to live, I know what I'm talking about. I could go on a tirade (I must have been on about 50) about how my time in the system was never so bad that I wished I was dead, or any number of those things. But I won't, because it just brings up things I'd rather not. I will instead bring it all back to God. Were I fortunate enough to get a child from that horrendous experience, I certainly wouldn't want to destroy the only chance of goodness and life I felt I'd ever have again at the time. That time was one of fear, one of darkness, and adding the murder of someone to it would have done me no good. It is only by God's grace that I converted about a year after, and found healing. I've come to realize a few things from the whole thing:
1) Life is sacred
Everyone deserves not just life, but a chance for it. No one deserves to never take a breath, and never get to experience God and His love the way that we do. I know that God cares for the unborn children; there's no way that he doesn't. But that doesn't excuse putting a murder on your own soul, your own sorrow, and your own despair.
2) Hard times aren't that bad.
My suffering tempered my soul; without it I wouldn't be who I am today, and I wouldn't be a Christian at all. My suffering drew me closer to the Lord, and avoiding it may well have led me to ruin. It's a necessary thing, for building self and character. I suppose it's hard to explain, but suffering is good, because it makes the good times so much better, and makes you see things differently, I suppose.
3) Children are precious
A year ago the Lord blessed our family with a baby, my stepmother had her the January before last, and she has been a constant joy in our lives. Of course, we were better prepared for her, but my step-mom proabably had a pregnancy worse than your average rape victim. She is diabetic, and has a plethora of medical issues, and she had to get an induced pregnancy a bit early so that her medications wouldn't harm the baby. But she never once complained, or thought it a hardship. Then again, I know it's not quite the same: we're a Catholic family from Africa, so we apprechiate the sanctity of life, and again we were prepared for her, and had a loving place in our hearts and home for her. But it is something to consider. If I had had my sister with me in those times, my days would have been brighter. I don't doubt a rape victim would feel the same.
4) Pregnancy is not a problem
I'm sure it's inconvenient, and perhaps a struggle at times, but it's not a disease to be cured or a problem to be had. It's a miracle going on inside your body. The good Lord saw fit to make me a man, so I cannot fully ever understand, but I believe it would be a blessing to be able bear children. Also, the pregnancy will not stick it to your rapist. He didn't do what he did out of pure malice - he is no doubt a sick man who requires psychological help. Killing your baby won't hurt him, it will only hurt you.
I guess I have to say that abortion is never right. God calls us to love and nurture life, and we never have a right to take it away. I'm an ultra-pacifist, so I would not kill someone to save my own life. To kill someone to make it a bit "easier" or to save me "pain and trouble" is unthinkable. God made us, down to the tiniest atom. Our souls were created who-knows when, but we know that he created our flesh from the moment of conception (perhaps before that, when you were and egg and sperm and such), and he took great care to knit us together from the start. Abortion isn't just murder, it's burning an artist's work before He is even finished. It is burning the unfinished painting, and smashing the marble statue. How could we know what a wonder that child could have been to the world, to his mother, who must suffer through her condition alone now? What could he have done? Have we lost a humanitarian, an activist, a brilliant artist, a pope even? How on earth could we know? And even if we did, what gives us the right to take that away from him?
Old Apr 10, '12, 3:48 am
Forum Elder

JNdoum,
Wonderful testimony. Thanks for sharing that.

Peace
James

for the love of Thee
Amen.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology