Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 8, '12, 9:32 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Homosexuality as sexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
But aren't a lot of lesbians anti-men????? Doesn't that actually prove my point.
Not all of them are, so....

Quote:
Gay men are sexist against women.
Gay women are sexist against men.
Please provide the study that proves this. Nothing in your original post suggests this. Homosexual people are by definition attracted to members of the same sex. Please establish how homosexual attraction makes you sexist.

Quote:
Both are contrary to God, and proper gender relations- "male and female he created them"
Homosexuals are not contrary to God according to Catholic teaching.
Old Apr 8, '12, 2:19 pm

Religion: Catholic/Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baelor View Post

Homosexuals are not contrary to God according to Catholic teaching.
I meant "Both forms of homosexuality are contrary to God's intended gender relations."
Old Apr 8, '12, 2:22 pm

Religion: Protestant Church

Quote:
I meant "Both forms of homosexuality are contrary to God's intended gender relations."
Homosexual acts are contrary.

Being a homosexual in itself is not. And the Church is clear on that.
Old Apr 8, '12, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitex View Post
Homosexual acts are contrary.

Being a homosexual in itself is not. And the Church is clear on that.
Yeah, of course, by homsexuality I mean homesexuals acts. I mean you don't call a person a paedophile unless they actually do something dodgy. So I wouldn't call someone a homosexual unless they actually did something about it.

If someone is that way inclined, as long as the don't act on it and don't disclose it, then, as far as I am concerned, they may have the benefit of the doubt and are not homoesexual. And, if they do this, the inclination will proabably eventually go away.
Old Apr 8, '12, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Yeah, of course, by homsexuality I mean homesexuals acts. I mean you don't call a person a paedophile unless they actually do something dodgy. So I wouldn't call someone a homosexual unless they actually did something about it.
Then you are simply wrong. A paedophile is a paedophile regardless of action, and a homosexual is a homosexual regardless of action.

The point remains: homosexuality is not sexist.
Old Apr 8, '12, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baelor View Post

Please provide the study that proves this. Nothing in your original post suggests this. Homosexual people are by definition attracted to members of the same sex. Please establish how homosexual attraction makes you sexist.

It is my own observations- a lot of homosexual men are anti-women and a lot of lesbians are violently feminist and have resentment towards men.My experience and observations are my study. I could write them down and call it a study, if you like.

Please provide a study which established that the occurence of sexist sentiment is not prevalent among homosexuals. And, of course, a study not conduct by pro-homosexual, left wing academics.....

I have proposed a correlation. If you experience does not support- I accept that. Mine does. The reason I propose it is to gauge whether the experience of others supports it.
Old Apr 8, '12, 4:45 pm

Quote:
It is my own observations- a lot of homosexual men are anti-women and a lot of lesbians are violently feminist and have resentment towards men.My experience and observations are my study. I could write them down and call it a study, if you like.
That does not make homosexuality sexist. And, unless you have met thousands and thousands of gays and lesbians, it is not quite a study.

Quote:
Please provide a study which established that the occurence of sexist sentiment is not prevalent among homosexuals. And, of course, a study not conduct by pro-homosexual, left wing academics.....
Nice try. The thread title was "Homosexuality as sexist?" I said, "homosexuality is not sexist."

You are then trying to get me to prove the statement that "homosexuals are not sexist." That is an altogether different claim, and note that it is NOT the opposite of what you argued in your first post.

I never made that claim. Furthermore, YOU were the one who claimed that homosexuals were sexist, so the onus is therefore on YOU to provide the proof.
Old Apr 10, '12, 8:47 am

Religion: United

Quote:
A homosexual is effectively saying "I can go ahead and have a sexual relationship without including women, without having the consent of a woman." Homosexuality seems to be all about reducing the power and status of women- of making them unnecessary. I think, in spirit and effect, it is almost akin to rape.

Does anyone else see it this way?
No. That does NOT constitute rape in either spirit or effect. Even remotely. By any stretch of the imagination.

If you're aware of a woman or a man who feels 'raped' by a nearby homosexual union, then you've met a fascinating person. Who very well may require some serious help.
Old Apr 11, '12, 5:15 am

I think that it is insulting to gays and lesbians to try and find some deep psychological explanation for all of it-"They really hate woman! They really hate God! They really hate custard pie!" instead of just accepting that it is and then figuring out what to do from there.
Old Apr 11, '12, 5:20 am

Quote:
Well, you could, but it would be a rather poor study unless you knew a statistically significant number of gays and lesbians and unless you used proper statistical methods.

Quote:
This is poisoning the well a bit, since you can now easily dismiss any study by claiming that the people who performed it were biased.
Old Apr 11, '12, 5:25 am

Religion: RC

Quote:
But aren't a lot of lesbians anti-men????? Doesn't that actually prove my point.

Gay men are sexist against women.
Gay women are sexist against men.
Nope, I don't buy the premise.

One's sexual prefence is not "sexist" if one prefers the same sex.

What about someone with a SSA that is chaste? Are they "sexist" due to an inclination which is beyond their control.

Sexism is an unfair or unjust discrimination against someone or a group based on their sex. There is no unfair discrimination if someone is attracted to someone of the same sex.

The only claim of "unfairness" could conceivably be that they have such a cross to bear.
Old Apr 11, '12, 5:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2 View Post
One's sexual prefence is not "sexist" if one prefers the same sex.

Sexism is an unfair or unjust discrimination against someone or a group based on their sex. There is no unfair discrimination if someone is attracted to someone of the same sex.
I hope you don't mind that I snipped you down to just these two, because I wanted to agree with you on this specifically.

The odd implication of this entire thread is that one is sexist against everyone to whom they are not sexually attracted, and that's a rather silly claim to make.
Old Apr 11, '12, 5:51 am

Quote:
I suggest that the recent rise of homosexuality is a reaction made by a patriarchical culture to the movement to give women equal rights. Homosexuals are trying to derive women even of the status in human relationships.

A homosexual is effectively saying "I can go ahead and have a sexual relationship without including women, without having the consent of a woman." Homosexuality seems to be all about reducing the power and status of women- of making them unnecessary. I think, in spirit and effect, it is almost akin to rape.

Your post is fascinating from a philosophical perspective. If a person rejects the natural law of "God made man and woman," or the agnostic Darwin evolutionist "man and woman," or the pagan Mother Earth "man and woman," then fine. People should have the right to choose (just don't try to force me to change my opinion on the matter). However, it seems to me that the next logical behavior after rejecting the natural law is BISEXUALITY. If people are free to love the person INSIDE, then that person should logically be someone of the opposite sex some of the time, statistically speaking (if one is TRULY open-minded and tolerant), otherwise there seems to be an intolerance toward those who are "different." "Xenophobia" is fear of those who are different. The liberal media culture is quick to apply this to race, ethnicity, etc., but not to sexuality. Why? Are they prejudiced?

Consider this paradox, which I think your point makes: How does male homosexual #1 who feels "trapped inside a woman's body" have a relationship with male homosexual #2? If male homosexual #2 was looking for a "woman" (male homosexual #1), then he would be hetero, not homo, and he never would have become hooked up with male homosexual #1 in the first place, unless male homosexual #2 is also a man who feels "trapped inside a woman's body," which, - follow me here - this would necessitate that both men actually believe themselves to be lesbians. Think about that carefully.

The same parallel would apply to lesbians: the "she's the man" lesbian gets her feminine lesbian, but that does not explain the feminine lesbian, because the feminine lesbian would be looking for a "real" man, and would find one some of the time, statisitcally speaking, unless she is intolerant or fearful of real men, which would appear to be xenophobia. Again, bisexuality would appear to be the natural progression, but that does not appear to be the case, so your post raises an interesting question. Unfortunately, the unelected media has programmed many people to close their minds to discuss these issues, but fairness and free speech say otherwise.

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by ManOnFire; Apr 11, '12 at 6:09 am.
Old Apr 11, '12, 6:45 am
Account Under Review

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
I suggest that the recent rise of homosexuality is a reaction made by a patriarchical culture to the movement to give women equal rights. Homosexuals are trying to derive women even of the status in human relationships.

No, and trying to understand things using leftist paradigms is dangerous because they're pretty much always false.

I don't even really like these philosophical attempts to explain homosexuality (e.g., homosexuality as narcissisim). The evidence suggests it's a relatively harmless genetic mutation aggravated by certain conditions in the prenatal milieu and encouraged by difficult family conditions and a wildly approving culture.
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:04 am

Religion: Protestant

Quote:

I do suspect the error of radical equality does contribute to homosexuality. The very idea behind it, which should be so obviously false it is hard to believe how anyone could hold it, is that there is no difference between the sexes. If there is in fact no difference between the sexes then a man having sex with a woman is the same as a man having sex with a man since the words man and woman connote no difference.

I would add that I think a culture's men must have been thoroughly feminized to allow the current relations between the sexes. So in as much as homosexuality is an unnatural feminization of men I think much of it can be attributed to the actions and beliefs of the non-homosexual men who are feminized.

I dont get the likening to rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onjac View Post
Homosexuality is not some made up reaction against women's rights. It's a cross that some people have to bear.
I do not think it is a cross to bear. The cross must be taken up willingly and if homosexuality is a matter of will then that defeats the whole argument that it is not a choice. Crosses to bear are sufferings we choose.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice