Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 10, '12, 5:12 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Trayvon Martin: Before the world heard the cries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringil View Post
Well gosh, it's best to stay in contact with your attorneys I would think.
Agreed. What an odd turn of events.
Old Apr 10, '12, 5:15 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary bobo View Post
They say it is because they have lost contact with him. Is this a result of his going into hiding, or is this an excuse? I still have not laid blame on either party.
Maybe he did skip the country, as someone suggested. I hope nothing has happened to him, that nobody got to him since that is possible too, I suppose.
Old Apr 10, '12, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
Maybe he did skip the country, as someone suggested. I hope nothing has happened to him, that nobody got to him since that is possible too, I suppose.
The lawyers also mentioned his emotional health. Media attention can really get to people. Hopefully he hasn't done anything rash.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Apr 10, '12, 5:29 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic

The media has been saying very astutely that it was (at least) very unusual, irresponsible and unethical of his lawyers to be making statements to the effect that they think their former client is "menstally unstable." Also by implying he could be a flight risk.

Violates the attorney---client privilege. Possibly.

Also, their client has been contacting the DA on his own------going beyond his lawyers's advice. Divulging that also goes against the attorney-client privilege.

He also is apparently no longer in Florida.

The DA has just staed there will be a decision within the next 72 hours.

Looks like GZ's actions may have speeded up the process somewhat. IF (aagain, IF) GZ is indicted, I sure hope GZ gives himself up and does not do anything "stupid."

Question:

Nobody has really asked or considered this: WHY would TM attack GZ? For no apparent reason? A guy who has been following him for 10 minutes or more?

And how do we even know for certain that TM was the one that attacked first? GZ's account is contradicted somewhat by (or at least appears to) TM's girlfriend's account. "What are you doing here" and then a bump-------what has been determined what happened there?

Just like there has been a rush to judgement on GZ's part, there has been a rush to judgement regarding TM as well.
Old Apr 10, '12, 5:36 pm

Quote:
The lawyers also mentioned his emotional health. Media attention can really get to people. Hopefully he hasn't done anything rash.
Don't you think the attorneys did their former client no favors by speculating as to his mental state and other actions covered by the attorney/client privilege?

Like I heard an attorney said on TV a short time ago.........."You don't put your client out there like that."

Yep.
Old Apr 10, '12, 5:43 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
That thought crossed my mind too. Hmm. I hope he is okay.
Old Apr 10, '12, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryMelkite View Post
Don't you think the attorneys did their former client no favors by speculating as to his mental state and other actions covered by the attorney/client privilege?

Like I heard an attorney said on TV a short time ago.........."You don't put your client out there like that."

Yep.
I didn't think of that. You may be right. But would they risk losing their license to practice law? That would be a huge deal, and to have it on national TV.

Just gets weirder and weirder.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Apr 10, '12, 6:05 pm

Quote:
I didn't think of that. You may be right. But would they risk losing their license to practice law? That would be a huge deal, and to have it on national TV.

Just gets weirder and weirder.
Just think this will speed up the DA's decision, in one way or another.

And some people are just stupid-----sorry.

Yep.
Old Apr 10, '12, 6:09 pm
Veteran Member

"Angela Corey to present new information in Trayvon Martin case
Teen shot dead in Sanford by neighborhood watch leader

SANFORD, Fla. - State Attorney Angela Corey, the special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case, announced on Tuesday night that she will hold a news conference sometime within the next three days."...

Blue excerpt from: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Cor...i/-/index.html
Old Apr 10, '12, 6:14 pm
Veteran Member

So, Zimmerman talks to his neighbor, but not his attorneys? This is getting more and more odd.

"Neighbor: George Zimmerman called me
Frank Taaffe tells Local 6 he spoke to Zimmerman after grand jury announcement

SANFORD, Fla. - In the midst of attorneys saying they couldn't reach George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman's neighbor says he talked to him Monday."...

Blue excerpt from: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Nei...g/-/index.html
Old Apr 10, '12, 7:29 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Hi, OrdinaryMelkite,

Excellent post!

I think there really are elements of vigilantism in this case that are coming to light! But, maybe not quite what you had in mind... The actions taken by Martin/Zimmerman happened over a few minutes - from everything I have seen, less than 15 minutes passed from the time of the first 9-1-1 call to Martin dying.

Now contrast that tragic event with of the so-called "New Black Panthers" offering a $10,000 bounty for Zimmerman http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...orge-zimmerman which took place with sufficient time to deliberate, raise the money and hold a press conference to announce their form of 'vigilantism', with the '...eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth...' statement.

Think about it. People who inflame passions and incite riots and mob rule are not serving the cause of Justice for anyone. And, that's the way it is - unless anarchy is to rule.

God bless

Quote:
I promised myself I would not comment on this case because last time I did it upset me terribly----(I lean towards the Martin side, to be clear upfront), but I think your comments warrants a response------

Let me ask you this-----

Does the fact that this case may REALLY be about vigilantism and the tendency of our society towards condoning or at least rationalizing it away justify the coverage shown it and also points to this also going beyond this being a mere"every occurrence?"

Or are you one of those whom I've unfortunately encountered here who SEEM to think that the state of our nation security and crime-wise justify condoning folks going "beyond the pale" in answering possible threats?

IOW, "at least we will not be afraid anymore?"
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Question:

Nobody has really asked or considered this: WHY would TM attack GZ? For no apparent reason? A guy who has been following him for 10 minutes or more?

And how do we even know for certain that TM was the one that attacked first? GZ's account is contradicted somewhat by (or at least appears to) TM's girlfriend's account. "What are you doing here" and then a bump-------what has been determined what happened there?

Just like there has been a rush to judgement on GZ's part, there has been a rush to judgement regarding TM as well.
Probably because we don't have the information to make decisions like this. For instance, if Zimmerman attacked Martin first, one would expect a bruise or cut on Martin. But we don't know if there are any. If none, that would weigh more for Zimmerman's story. But unfortunately, even if there was a bruise or cut, it wouldn't prove Zimmerman attacked first, because it could still be from self defense from when Zimmerman was being beaten. We don't know. The incident appeared to happen about 3 houses away from Zimmerman's truck. No one's discussed that, but does that mean anything? There are so many more facts involved here that we don't have access to. And we shouldn't at this point. If too much is revealed, it would be easier for an "eye witness" to create a story that seems believable. Just think of the money they could make in interviews or even books, by suddenly being the eye witness.

It's fun to analyze the case and talk about it. But we must never forget that our talk can lead others to violence, destroy reputations, maybe cause death. We need to be careful and charitable in everything we write.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:46 pm

weirdness level 5

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...for-donations/

Old Apr 10, '12, 10:01 pm
Banned

Quote:
Why "weirdness?"
Old Apr 10, '12, 10:13 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Actually I saw a news article about Z's money-raising site hours before
I saw the news about his lawyers dropping him as a client.

What occurred to me - since the appeal for cash specified money needed for lawyers -
was that perhaps the lawyers were saying - [u]'not money for us!'[/U -

It is all so very odd.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News