Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 10, '12, 7:28 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: 'Faithful Citizenship' Gives Catholics a Chance to Seek the Common Good

"Faithful Citizenship" was a deeply flawed document when it was released four years ago but the fact that it was re-released again for this election cycle is even worse. There were no changes made to the document itself; all that was done was the addition of an introductory note that observed that the bishops were "pleased to re-propose" the same document that raised such controversy the last time.

The problem with the document is that it lends itself to whatever interpretation one chooses to give it. It is a fairly trivial thing to cite the document in support of voting for or against anyone. I am nearly speechless in trying to understand how the same document that received such a bad reception when it was first presented could be sent back out a second time without a single alteration.

I guess if there is any good news in all of this it is that the document carries no authority and we are quite free to dismiss its contents. That is a very small silver lining as the down side is that it allows - and even encourages - individuals to create hard-to-counter rationalizations for following their political inclinations whatever they are. The Church's teachings cannot be so flexible that they allow us to support anything, but that is certainly the perception this document creates.

Ender
Old Apr 13, '12, 3:21 pm

Religion: Christian
Default Re: 'Faithful Citizenship' Gives Catholics a Chance to Seek the Common Good

Many things are "intrinsically evil" but not worthy of legislation.

One Quibble with Faithful Citizenship

Another interesting article by the same author. My conscience says the abortion issue trumps all others, but this is a very good article that explains the intent to address the complexity of the voter's decision. Makes me more comfortable with Catholics of a different POV.

Faithful Citizenship update
Old Dec 12, '12, 8:29 am

Religion: Catholic (formerly Baptist)

Wow, I didn't remember posting this, and am only now returning (months later!) to see the replies. Since the election is over, it's probably no longer relevant to many people.

However, something I heard recently makes it relevant to me. Apparently, some GOP leaders are saying the GOP should back off a litte from its hard stance on abortion and homosexual marriage.

What I'm about to say, I thought about before re-visiting this thread, but I think it is an apt reply to the guy who posted that I was only disappointed that it didn't say "don't vote for Obama", and for the one who posted that GOP'ers don't hold the Truth like they think they do.

Here goes, and please recognize that it makes me uncomfortable saying it, so I'm hoping for some thoughful advice. Essentially, if the GOP takes its stance against abortion out of its platform, then my vote might be swayed for either party in any given election.

Yes, I'm a fiscal conservative, too, but it seems like both parties, once they get into office, are prone to spend, spend, spend. The Republicans talk a much better game on fiscal conservatism, but I was extremely disappointed in the Bush-era bailouts (I loved Bush's pro-life stances, but he seemed to lean progressive in the fiscal arena).

So, yes, at the time, I wished the Faithful Citizenship document was more clearly anti-Obama. Bu that was primarily because of his pro-abortion policies and other social policies that disagreed with Church teaching. Unfortunately, come next election, the game may have changed. I pray it doesn't.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News