Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 10, '12, 8:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Is it better to attempt to convert to Protestantism?

Since Protestants are just our separate brethren and does not imply any automatic damnation as a result of belonging to it, is it better to try and convert non-believers to a variation of Protestantism?

A very doctrinally minimal, more appealing form of Protestantism can be very motivational for people to come and get baptized. So is that better than trying to convert to Catholicism? Should the church replace its own work or fund Protestant evangelization instead?
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:03 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: Is it better to attempt to convert to Protestantism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin View Post
Since Protestants are just our separate brethren and does not imply any automatic damnation as a result of belonging to it, is it better to try and convert non-believers to a variation of Protestantism?

A very doctrinally minimal, more appealing form of Protestantism can be very motivational for people to come and get baptized. So is that better than trying to convert to Catholicism? Should the church replace its own work or fund Protestant evangelization instead?
Sobering questions.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:05 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:

I think we shouldn't be converting people to anything anyway. Only God can convert people's hearts. We can only help answer some of their questions but ultimately its up to them to go where they find God. We should also always pray for them.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:07 pm

Interesting trap.

Old Apr 10, '12, 9:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
I think we shouldn't be converting people to anything anyway. Only God can convert people's hearts. We can only help answer some of their questions but ultimately its up to them to go where they find God. We should also always pray for them.
So in terms of the great commission given by Christ, you think we should just wait and pray? Or should we preach? If we should preach, which message should we go for?

I think the Protestant message seems pretty effective considering how we can construct a good stripped down appealing version for most non-Christians, right?
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:10 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin812 View Post
Interesting trap.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:11 pm

I have wondered that as well.

On one hand it seems like a good idea, that having maybe some relationship with God is better than having none, and having them take that step first would make them more open to the truth.
On the other hand, it seems deceptive to try to convert someone to a faith that you know isn't the whole truth, and then later try to tell them that Catholicism is true... Why would they believe you the second time around?
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:12 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:

I believe in preaching/sharing my faith whenever there is an opening. We are all called to preach in different ways. For some, it is more their charism, but at some point we all have an opportunity to speak of the joy of the Lord.

Now I'm going to see how long it takes for someone to quote St. Francis, who by the way, was an awesome preacher.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM

Last edited by TrueLight; Apr 10, '12 at 9:24 pm.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:13 pm

Yes, the temptation to put my foot in my mouth is really strong. I'll pass for now.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laircy View Post
I have wondered that as well.

On one hand it seems like a good idea, that having maybe some relationship with God is better than having none, and having them take that step first would make them more open to the truth.
On the other hand, it seems deceptive to try to convert someone to a faith that you know isn't the whole truth, and then later try to tell them that Catholicism is true... Why would they believe you the second time around?
Well if salvation is the end goal, and salvation is indeed possible by being a good Protestant, it would seem like the best way to reach the goal. There would also seem to be no deception since the Catholic Church would be asking them to convert to Protestantism for salvation which according to many, is what the church is saying as possible today anyway.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
So in terms of the great commission given by Christ, you think we should just wait and pray? Or should we preach? If we should preach, which message should we go for?

I think the Protestant message seems pretty effective considering how we can construct a good stripped down appealing version for most non-Christians, right?
What do you think the Great Commission says? Obviously in scripture the Apostles never forced anyone to become Christians. Preach, sure. But preaching isn't converting. People can listen and they can decide if they want to convert or not. Then again, some people think they are preaching when in fact they are just proselytizing. I don't consider that preaching at all.

Why not follow St. Francis of Assisi? Preach with your actions, use words only when necessary. Acts of love has brought conversion to more people than rhetorical debates.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:34 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
I believe in preaching/sharing my faith whenever there is an opening. We are all called to preach in different ways. For some, it is more their charism, but at some point we all have an opportunity to speak of the joy of the Lord.

Now I'm going to see how long it takes for someone to quote St. Francis, who by the way, was an awesome preacher.
Take note I wrote my previous post before I got to read your post. I'm convinced at this point that while we argue a lot and differ in many opinions, the core of our faith and way of thinking is the same

Yes, we should preach and teach. But as I said, its not what directly leads to conversion. We shouldn't preach with conversion as the goal. If we do, then we're just marketing, we're just proselytizing. Our goal should be always to tell the truth and proclaim the Good News. We shouldn't be worried about converting other people, God will take care of that.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:34 pm

Religion: The One True Religion

Protestants won't have access to the plethora of graces that Catholics can receive through the sacraments. What you'd be trying to do is giving them half-truths in the hopes that they might be able to sneak into heaven on the bare minimum. That's kind of like trying to go on a cross country journey using a doughnut tire.

To claim that there can be multiple true religions is to claim that God is a contradiction and thus not perfect. It stands to reason, then, that there can only be ONE true religion.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Curt Jester View Post
Protestants won't have access to the plethora of graces that Catholics can receive through the sacraments. What you'd be trying to do is giving them half-truths in the hopes that they might be able to sneak into heaven on the bare minimum. That's kind of like trying to go on a cross country journey using a doughnut tire.
Then again, maybe becoming Protestant is just part of the journey that leads them to Catholicism.

Also, consider that I have seen a lot of good works from Protestants. Who's to say that the Kingdom of Heaven is any less theirs than the myriad of nominal Catholics?
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:44 pm
Banned

Quote:
What do you think the Great Commission says? Obviously in scripture the Apostles never forced anyone to become Christians. Preach, sure. But preaching isn't converting. People can listen and they can decide if they want to convert or not. Then again, some people think they are preaching when in fact they are just proselytizing. I don't consider that preaching at all.

Why not follow St. Francis of Assisi? Preach with your actions, use words only when necessary. Acts of love has brought conversion to more people than rhetorical debates.
Well, you have to preach 'something' right? I am saying that 'something' would be more attractive in the form of Protestantism.

So when someone says, I really like your attitude in life, and what must I do to follow your faith, you can say be a Protestant and here are the set of things you must adhere to. With such a minimal set of requirements, I can't see them refuse. Think of how many Christians with issues on same sex marriage etc that you can convert by simply suggesting them to join a Lutheran parish.

We would have a fully Christian world in no time.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism