Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:06 pm
YoungIreland YoungIreland is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 93
Default Moderator shuts off messages

Hi,
I received an infraction which I want to appeal, but the moderator who meted it out, Teresa Martin, is uncontactable via PM. Any suggestions as to how I can contact her?
  #2  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:28 pm
Corki's Avatar
Corki Corki is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 22, 2005
Posts: 13,826
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

I've run into this several times when trying to contact a moderator via PM. It seems a lot of them don't accept PM messages. You can try sending a PM to another mod and ask it to be passed on.
__________________
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
  #3  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:32 pm
Luigi Daniele's Avatar
Luigi Daniele Luigi Daniele is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 17, 2007
Posts: 8,447
Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

I am a mod of a much smaller sports forum. In a forum of this size, if every moderator
was PM accessible, they would would spend 8 hours per day just answering them.

I am certain that a reason was given for the infraction, right?

My advice: read the infraction, and conduct yourself accordingly. This is a very friendly place.
__________________
ORA et LABORA-ut in omnibus glorifectur Deus

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
  #4  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:37 pm
AthenaC AthenaC is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 4, 2011
Posts: 792
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
I am certain that a reason was given for the infraction, right?

My advice: read the infraction, and conduct yourself accordingly. This is a very friendly place.
This. Infractions are a matter of personal judgment. I got one myself a while ago and thought to myself "Really? Of all the things I've seen that were ... questionable, I am the one that ends up with an infraction?"

There's really no point in appealing, and try not to get irritated with the posts you see from others that go undisciplined.
  #5  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:45 pm
Luigi Daniele's Avatar
Luigi Daniele Luigi Daniele is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 17, 2007
Posts: 8,447
Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

If the posts are truly over the line, you can report them.

Remember, though:

1. Please report true infractions, only. Disagreements are not infractions. Neither is borderline rudeness (ie, not the real in your face stuff). If you are offended by "not quite over the line" posts, put the poster on ignore. Problem solved

2. Do not expect a personal response to a report. (See my comments above about this forum's size). No response does not equal no action taken, even if that action is to keep a closer eye on the poster of the (to you) offensive post.

__________________
ORA et LABORA-ut in omnibus glorifectur Deus

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
  #6  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:46 pm
YoungIreland YoungIreland is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 93
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
I am a mod of a much smaller sports forum. In a forum of this size, if every moderator
was PM accessible, they would would spend 8 hours per day just answering them.

I am certain that a reason was given for the infraction, right?

My advice: read the infraction, and conduct yourself accordingly. This is a very friendly place.
Please do not make rash judgements like that. I have read the reason for the infraction and it does appear heavy-handed in comparison to other threads on this forum.

Quote:
This. Infractions are a matter of personal judgment. I got one myself a while ago and thought to myself "Really? Of all the things I've seen that were ... questionable, I am the one that ends up with an infraction?"

There's really no point in appealing, and try not to get irritated with the posts you see from others that go undisciplined.
I'll give it a shot anyway. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for your support though
  #7  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:47 pm
Luigi Daniele's Avatar
Luigi Daniele Luigi Daniele is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 17, 2007
Posts: 8,447
Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIreland View Post
Please do not make rash judgements like that. I have read the reason for the infraction and it does appear heavy-handed in comparison to other threads on this forum.



I'll give it a shot anyway. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for your support though
I meant no offense.

Again: this is a very friendly place. Kick back and enjoy it
__________________
ORA et LABORA-ut in omnibus glorifectur Deus

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
  #8  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:50 pm
saveusfromhell's Avatar
saveusfromhell saveusfromhell is offline
Banned
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: March 2, 2009
Posts: 2,289
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIreland View Post
Hi,
I received an infraction which I want to appeal, but the moderator who meted it out, Teresa Martin, is uncontactable via PM. Any suggestions as to how I can contact her?
I have received 2 myself. firstly the moderators are the boss, you’re not going to win. accept take note of the reason and don't reoffend. the last time I got an infraction was for posting about a fellow poster rather than replying directly to them.
I just sent a pm apologized and forgot about it. you can go the other road but you won't last long here if you do.
possible the reason you got one is who ever you were engaging with or someone else reading the thread reported you. this always gets the attention of the mods faster.
iv'e done it myself at times. posters will get infractions here but you may never know about it.
God bless
  #9  
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:59 pm
Jeanne S's Avatar
Jeanne S Jeanne S is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 14, 2012
Posts: 3,683
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaC View Post
This. Infractions are a matter of personal judgment. I got one myself a while ago and thought to myself "Really? Of all the things I've seen that were ... questionable, I am the one that ends up with an infraction?"

There's really no point in appealing, and try not to get irritated with the posts you see from others that go undisciplined.
I have had the same experience
  #10  
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:02 pm
YoungIreland YoungIreland is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 93
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveusfromhell View Post
I have received 2 myself. firstly the moderators are the boss, you’re not going to win. accept take note of the reason and don't reoffend. the last time I got an infraction was for posting about a fellow poster rather than replying directly to them.
I just sent a pm apologized and forgot about it. you can go the other road but you won't last long here if you do.
possible the reason you got one is who ever you were engaging with or someone else reading the thread reported you. this always gets the attention of the mods faster.
iv'e done it myself at times. posters will get infractions here but you may never know about it.
God bless
Again, please do not make rash judgements about me like that. I have not broken any rules AFAIK, and I feel that I am being treated harshly compared with other threads on the forum. Also, with authority comes responsibility, and by blocking PMs, the moderator is refusing to accept accountability for her possible mistake. God bless you too.
  #11  
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:06 pm
LilyM's Avatar
LilyM LilyM is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: February 1, 2006
Posts: 33,193
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

I received one recently (third in six years, I usually play pretty nice ) A lot of it depends
on someone getting offended enough to report you, so on a given day/thread you mIght get away with something and not on a different day/thread, depending on who is participating in the thread.
__________________

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!


God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
  #12  
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:08 pm
saveusfromhell's Avatar
saveusfromhell saveusfromhell is offline
Banned
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: March 2, 2009
Posts: 2,289
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

sorry i misunderstood, if you get an infraction generally a pm to explain, or some of your posts will have been deleted.
the moderator might not be working but here is the email address to contact re appeal
mailto:[email protected]
  #13  
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:10 pm
LilyM's Avatar
LilyM LilyM is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: February 1, 2006
Posts: 33,193
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIreland View Post
Again, please do not make rash judgements about me like that. I have not broken any rules AFAIK, and I feel that I am being treated harshly compared with other threads on the forum. Also, with authority comes responsibility, and by blocking PMs, the moderator is refusing to accept accountability for her possible mistake. God bless you too.
But how often do you really know how other threads are being treated? You most likely will not be aware of most infractions or moderator action, unless the poster concerned is suspended or banned or the thread closed. And even thread closure may well happen for reasons other than your contribution.
__________________

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!


God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
  #14  
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:16 pm
YoungIreland YoungIreland is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 93
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
But how often do you really know how other threads are being treated? You most likely will not be aware of most infractions or moderator action, unless the poster concerned is suspended or banned or the thread closed. And even thread closure may well happen for reasons other than your contribution.
Good point. I did notice this "spam" thread though:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=578010

No hard feelings, saveusfromhell
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8350Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: awsiukiewicz
5089CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4409Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3858SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3677Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3268Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3245Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3085For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:20 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.