Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 12, '12, 3:06 pm

Default Moderator shuts off messages

Hi,
I received an infraction which I want to appeal, but the moderator who meted it out, Teresa Martin, is uncontactable via PM. Any suggestions as to how I can contact her?
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:28 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Moderator shuts off messages

I've run into this several times when trying to contact a moderator via PM. It seems a lot of them don't accept PM messages. You can try sending a PM to another mod and ask it to be passed on.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:32 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

I am a mod of a much smaller sports forum. In a forum of this size, if every moderator
was PM accessible, they would would spend 8 hours per day just answering them.

I am certain that a reason was given for the infraction, right?

My advice: read the infraction, and conduct yourself accordingly. This is a very friendly place.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post

My advice: read the infraction, and conduct yourself accordingly. This is a very friendly place.
This. Infractions are a matter of personal judgment. I got one myself a while ago and thought to myself "Really? Of all the things I've seen that were ... questionable, I am the one that ends up with an infraction?"

There's really no point in appealing, and try not to get irritated with the posts you see from others that go undisciplined.
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:45 pm

If the posts are truly over the line, you can report them.

Remember, though:

1. Please report true infractions, only. Disagreements are not infractions. Neither is borderline rudeness (ie, not the real in your face stuff). If you are offended by "not quite over the line" posts, put the poster on ignore. Problem solved

2. Do not expect a personal response to a report. (See my comments above about this forum's size). No response does not equal no action taken, even if that action is to keep a closer eye on the poster of the (to you) offensive post.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
I am a mod of a much smaller sports forum. In a forum of this size, if every moderator
was PM accessible, they would would spend 8 hours per day just answering them.

Please do not make rash judgements like that. I have read the reason for the infraction and it does appear heavy-handed in comparison to other threads on this forum.

Quote:
This. Infractions are a matter of personal judgment. I got one myself a while ago and thought to myself "Really? Of all the things I've seen that were ... questionable, I am the one that ends up with an infraction?"

There's really no point in appealing, and try not to get irritated with the posts you see from others that go undisciplined.
I'll give it a shot anyway. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for your support though
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIreland View Post
Please do not make rash judgements like that. I have read the reason for the infraction and it does appear heavy-handed in comparison to other threads on this forum.

I'll give it a shot anyway. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for your support though
I meant no offense.

Again: this is a very friendly place. Kick back and enjoy it

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:50 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Hi,
I received an infraction which I want to appeal, but the moderator who meted it out, Teresa Martin, is uncontactable via PM. Any suggestions as to how I can contact her?
I have received 2 myself. firstly the moderators are the boss, you’re not going to win. accept take note of the reason and don't reoffend. the last time I got an infraction was for posting about a fellow poster rather than replying directly to them.
I just sent a pm apologized and forgot about it. you can go the other road but you won't last long here if you do.
possible the reason you got one is who ever you were engaging with or someone else reading the thread reported you. this always gets the attention of the mods faster.
iv'e done it myself at times. posters will get infractions here but you may never know about it.
God bless
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaC View Post

I have had the same experience
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveusfromhell View Post
I have received 2 myself. firstly the moderators are the boss, you’re not going to win. accept take note of the reason and don't reoffend. the last time I got an infraction was for posting about a fellow poster rather than replying directly to them.
I just sent a pm apologized and forgot about it. you can go the other road but you won't last long here if you do.
possible the reason you got one is who ever you were engaging with or someone else reading the thread reported you. this always gets the attention of the mods faster.
iv'e done it myself at times. posters will get infractions here but you may never know about it.
God bless
Again, please do not make rash judgements about me like that. I have not broken any rules AFAIK, and I feel that I am being treated harshly compared with other threads on the forum. Also, with authority comes responsibility, and by blocking PMs, the moderator is refusing to accept accountability for her possible mistake. God bless you too.
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:06 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

I received one recently (third in six years, I usually play pretty nice ) A lot of it depends
on someone getting offended enough to report you, so on a given day/thread you mIght get away with something and not on a different day/thread, depending on who is participating in the thread.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:08 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

sorry i misunderstood, if you get an infraction generally a pm to explain, or some of your posts will have been deleted.
the moderator might not be working but here is the email address to contact re appeal
mailto:[email protected]
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:10 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Again, please do not make rash judgements about me like that. I have not broken any rules AFAIK, and I feel that I am being treated harshly compared with other threads on the forum. Also, with authority comes responsibility, and by blocking PMs, the moderator is refusing to accept accountability for her possible mistake. God bless you too.
But how often do you really know how other threads are being treated? You most likely will not be aware of most infractions or moderator action, unless the poster concerned is suspended or banned or the thread closed. And even thread closure may well happen for reasons other than your contribution.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Apr 12, '12, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
But how often do you really know how other threads are being treated? You most likely will not be aware of most infractions or moderator action, unless the poster concerned is suspended or banned or the thread closed. And even thread closure may well happen for reasons other than your contribution.
Good point. I did notice this "spam" thread though:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=578010

No hard feelings, saveusfromhell
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat