Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 14, '12, 7:57 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita
Default Contemplative/mysticism forum?

Dear folks,

I just love CAF. It has been a major factor in overhauling my life from miserable and afraid and literally in poverty, to incredible peace and joy.

There seem to be a growing number of posters who like to post things of a contemplative nature, such as relates to mystical theology.

Would CAF possibly consider adding a forum for such discussions? Kind of like the Traditional Catholic section, I think a section like that could help people like me and others discuss these things in depth without so much interference from those who aren't familiar with mysticism or contemplation and tend to think we're a bunch of kooks.

Thank you for your consideration of this request. In fact, I'll do this. If you add such a section, I'll donate $50 to the forums for your trouble.

Alan
Old Apr 14, '12, 9:01 pm

Default Re: Contemplative/mysticism forum?

Although this idea sounds good, the first thing that comes to my mind is that the no private revelations policy would require very, very heavy moderator vetting of this forum. That alone may put it beyond the limit of feasibility.
Old Apr 14, '12, 10:55 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Although this idea sounds good, the first thing that comes to my mind is that the no private revelations policy would require very, very heavy moderator vetting of this forum. That alone may put it beyond the limit of feasibility.
I thought the rule against discussion of private revelation was to limit unapproved apparitions as topics. People already discuss private revelations when they mention having certain kinds of experiences, dreams and so forth. This kind of private revelation is understood to be only for the person receiving it, not something to be disseminated to the general public. One of the benefits to such a forum for someone who has a "message received" sort of experience, is that they will get feedback from others who may have had similar experiences and not get themselves too far off track trying to interpret by themselves.

I wouldn't think it would come up that much, though.
Old Apr 15, '12, 6:13 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
I thought the rule against discussion of private revelation was to limit unapproved apparitions as topics. People already discuss private revelations when they mention having certain kinds of experiences, dreams and so forth. This kind of private revelation is understood to be only for the person receiving it, not something to be disseminated to the general public. One of the benefits to such a forum for someone who has a "message received" sort of experience, is that they will get feedback from others who may have had similar experiences and not get themselves too far off track trying to interpret by themselves.
The subject of dream interpretation might be okay, but I can see where some cases might cross the line.

The ban on private revelations is fairly broad.

This is from the pinned threads of the Spirituality forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara Collins, moderator
I want to remind our participants of Content Rule 6:

Do not post material from unapproved private revelations.

Material from unapproved private revelations includes:
Personally experienced 'visions'
Messages God asked you to transmit
Messages from Bayside
Messages from Medjugorje, etc.

If you post material from unapproved private revelations, your account will be subject to the Enforcement Rules, which could include immediate suspension or banning of your account.
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=434589

And this is from the Banned Topics list for all of CAF
Quote:
26. Promoting unapproved apparitions and revelations (those not approved by the Church for private or public devotion) or alleged private locutions
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=270175
Old Apr 15, '12, 6:21 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

This is a good reason we need this. Here we can talk about our experiences and our thoughts without "polluting" the spirituality forum.

Where else in God's green earth, would be a better place for the modern day mystics (and mystics wannabees and thoughtIwasses) to congregate? It's very difficult to describe and discuss mystical ideas on the other forums (both on CAF and off CAF) without constantly having to defend against literalists and others who don't have any knowledge of Mystical Theology.

People on this forum are going through the Dark Night and other things, most without a guide and like Johnston says, "the road is fraught with peril." We help people with all sorts of personal issues like very specifically described sexual sins.

If we give it a shot and it doesn't work, I'll donate a second $50. Of course $100 isn't as much as it would cost, but I'm using it as a token of my appreciation and my sincerity in asking for this.

Alan
Old Oct 26, '12, 11:00 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I've resurrected this thread from earlier this year because I think that it would be a very good idea
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

- Saint Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris (1963)
Old Oct 26, '12, 12:13 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Spirituality Forum

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Oct 26, '12, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
Spirituality Forum
I am aware of that my dear brother While Catholic mysticism is not radically different from more devotional forms of spirituality, mysticism is a particularly focused part of spirituality.

Within the very broad category of "spirituality", a term which encompasses a huge range of practices, ideas and approaches, mysticism is characterised by a certain intimacy with the divine.

One can, I think, consider oneself spiritual without necessarily having a mystical orientation or outlook on life (although the converse is not true, one cannot be a mystic without a cultivated spiritual life).

To this end mysticism is often viewed by scholars as a distinct category of spirituality. I am of the opinion that an additional forum devoted excusively to this very particular dimension of the spiritual life, what Richard McBrien defines as, "the graced transformation of conciousness that follows upon a direct or immediate experience of God leading to a deeper union with God" - or at least the desire for such, might be of benefit to many members on this forum and also for more general awareness of the rich mystical tradition of our Church by the general public.

A mysticism forum would allow for an acute focus upon strictly personal experiences with prayer, whether meditation or contemplation, and of God (not private revelations); discussion of and study of prominent exemplars of the mystical life, such as Sts John of the Cross and Teresa of Avila, Blesseds John Ruysbroeck and Henry Suso, Meister Eckhart etc; their writings, teachings, the different mystical schools (Rhineland, Carmelite etc.) and much else besides...It would just be a more in-depth and specific forum than the more general spirituality one and would offer CAF members the opportunity to reflect upon, receive brotherly support/advice and information on their inner development and desire for closer contact with God, firmly anchored in the great mystical tradition of the Church and our many role models of the mystic path.

Nonetheless, I am perfectly comfortable discussing mysticism under the more inclusive category of "spirituality", I am merely saying that I think Alan's suggestion has merit
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

- Saint Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris (1963)

Last edited by Vouthon; Oct 26, '12 at 1:03 pm.
Old Oct 26, '12, 1:40 pm

I thank you for the kind response.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Oct 27, '12, 12:55 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic, Carmelite OCDS

I wouldn't think a separate forum with an assigned moderator would benefit very many people, just from observing the scant responses whenever the subject comes up in the ordinary forum. For example, type this in your google search line: "Contemplation" Site:forums.catholic.com
Notice how seldom the topic arises, and whenever it does, there are very few partipants and posts.

Maybe it would be good to open up a group instead?
Old Oct 27, '12, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirach2 View Post
I wouldn't think a separate forum with an assigned moderator would benefit very many people, just from observing the scant responses whenever the subject comes up in the ordinary forum. For example, type this in your google search line: "Contemplation" Site:forums.catholic.com
Notice how seldom the topic arises, and whenever it does, there are very few partipants and posts.

Maybe it would be good to open up a group instead?
Excellent idea!

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Oct 28, '12, 3:34 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFromWichita View Post

People on this forum are going through the Dark Night and other things, most without a guide and like Johnston says, "the road is fraught with peril." We help people with all sorts of personal issues like very specifically described sexual sins.

Alan
I would be totally game for a forum or group of this nature. As an individual who has been experiencing, with extremely scant respites, the Dark Night for over a decade (since my disease and cancer diagnosis when my first brain tumor was removed) I would be eternally grateful for a place to discuss my experiences and seek the support and prayerful, Godly input from other like-minded brothers and sisters in Christ.

It always surprises me to see explicitly detailed struggles with sexual issues, but one cannot discuss potential mystical experiences...if not here, then where shall we go for such support? Even if it's just Alan & I writing....it would be worth it to me

Old Oct 28, '12, 4:58 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic, Carmelite OCDS

Why not open a thread in Spirituality so others can join you? There is no need to await a separate forum, because you have the freedom to post there where many more members will have the opportunity to see your thread and respond. I'll watch for your thread.
Old Oct 29, '12, 10:19 am

I like the idea of starting a group as opposed to a separate forum. For one thing, in a group only interested persons are likely to apply to join.

And I agree, that starting a thread like this in Spirituality is a great place to start. After trying to do that with Life in the Spirit, I have learned a about keeping people on track, for example letting people know when they are derailing the thread.

I sure support the idea of this topical focus in some way.

I think members could discipline anyone who starts talking about "messages for the world". I think most folks realize that if we have an insight or "touch" in prayer that it is usually for our own benefit. We may or may not want to share that.

Julian of norwich

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box