Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Right Wing Catholics

Right Wing Catholics Click here to visit this social group

Old Jun 25, '11, 11:30 am

Religion: Catholic (ex-atheist)
Default Sick of liberal "Catholics"

I just joined CAF and I'm already sick of all the liberal "Catholics." I use quotation marks because you cannot be a social liberal and assent to the Church's teachings. In my eyes, there are no "cafeteria Catholics;" there are only believers and unbelievers.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much activity here...
Old Jul 30, '11, 3:35 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Sick of liberal "Catholics"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematoons View Post
I just joined CAF and I'm already sick of all the liberal "Catholics." I use quotation marks because you cannot be a social liberal and assent to the Church's teachings. In my eyes, there are no "cafeteria Catholics;" there are only believers and unbelievers.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much activity here...
I 100% agree with you, you can not be liberal and Catholic. Both have completely different beliefs.
Old Oct 11, '11, 11:44 am

Religion: Catholic

I agree and I have a problem with them as well. I live in a heavily democratic area and so many of the parisher's are 1. democrats and 2. liberals. And they speak out both sides of their mouths. I questioned one about it once, how could she support that ideology and still be catholic and she replied that she believed that religion and politics are separate.

I say that there is no way to separate your faith and your politics. It's like serving two masters. I don't get it.
Old Oct 24, '11, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa_lyn23 View Post
I agree and I have a problem with them as well. I live in a heavily democratic area and so many of the parisher's are 1. democrats and 2. liberals. And they speak out both sides of their mouths. I questioned one about it once, how could she support that ideology and still be catholic and she replied that she believed that religion and politics are separate.

I say that there is no way to separate your faith and your politics. It's like serving two masters. I don't get it.
I agree as well. I used to be in the "cafeteria" but not a liberal. The first Commandment says it all and this Sunday's Gospel reading as well. Love God above all things. If we believe this, then we need to live our lives to represent this belief. The liberal mindset is puts God no where near the top.
Old Feb 2, '12, 5:29 pm

Hi- I saw your thread and becasuse I struggle with politics in this country right now. I hope you won't mind me joining in.: I want desparately to do what is right and struggle because of some of the policies in the Conservative movement. right now This is a real faith struggle for me. Looking at both the Rep. and Dem. - one can say that neither follows God's law to the letter. And because of the abortion issue and the GOP claiming moral high ground on pro-life issues, I have always voted Republican for that reason alone.

However, in this election I don't think I can in good conscience vote Republican again based only on abortion. . After much prayer and after talkiing to my priest I have come to the conclusion that abortion is really the only pro-life issue the Republicans can claim. Maybe I am wrong but I see the proliferation of guns, environmental issues and programs to help people like food stamps, unemployment - including health care reform - as pro-life issues as well. Yet the GOP seems to oppose all of those.

Thus my moral dillema. I don't feel that "to beat Obama" should be the sum total of what they want to do. . But that seems to be all they talk about. I have little respecf for the Liberatarian Tea Party yet GOP leadership seems to be basing all their policies on their narrow views. I am also upset at the terrible way the GOP has been portraying illegal immigrants (most of whom are Catholic), Muslims and the way they have been portraying the poor as "welfare cheats, etc". This is not meant to be a slam it is meant to seek your help to better understand why this "new GOP" should have my vote. I want badly to supporft them because of abortion, but don't see a "heart or compassion for others in what they are saying or how their majority in the House has acted. Thank you and God bless.
Old Mar 1, '12, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Joy View Post
Hi- I saw your thread and becasuse I struggle with politics in this country right now. I hope you won't mind me joining in.: I want desparately to do what is right and struggle because of some of the policies in the Conservative movement. right now This is a real faith struggle for me. Looking at both the Rep. and Dem. - one can say that neither follows God's law to the letter. And because of the abortion issue and the GOP claiming moral high ground on pro-life issues, I have always voted Republican for that reason alone.

However, in this election I don't think I can in good conscience vote Republican again based only on abortion. . After much prayer and after talkiing to my priest I have come to the conclusion that abortion is really the only pro-life issue the Republicans can claim. Maybe I am wrong but I see the proliferation of guns, environmental issues and programs to help people like food stamps, unemployment - including health care reform - as pro-life issues as well. Yet the GOP seems to oppose all of those.

Thus my moral dillema. I don't feel that "to beat Obama" should be the sum total of what they want to do. . But that seems to be all they talk about. I have little respecf for the Liberatarian Tea Party yet GOP leadership seems to be basing all their policies on their narrow views. I am also upset at the terrible way the GOP has been portraying illegal immigrants (most of whom are Catholic), Muslims and the way they have been portraying the poor as "welfare cheats, etc". This is not meant to be a slam it is meant to seek your help to better understand why this "new GOP" should have my vote. I want badly to supporft them because of abortion, but don't see a "heart or compassion for others in what they are saying or how their majority in the House has acted. Thank you and God bless.
I really disagree with your entire view that the GOP's position on the issues you listed as somehow morally inferior to that of any other party. While you've cast the GOP's position as "Mean Spirited" it is merely a different and quite honestly more fundamentally fair than any other party IMHO.

Matt. 5:44
But I say to you: Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. And pray for those who persecute and slander you.
Old Mar 2, '12, 3:01 pm

Whitey- Thank you for your reply. How do you view the GOP views on illegal immigrants, guns, programs to help the poor, their view on the environment, global warming, and their support of Grover Norquist? I am trying to come to terms that their views on those issues are "fair".
Old Mar 3, '12, 2:19 pm

62Joy,
Over one million babies are aborted every year:
Quote:
Some 1.21 million abortions were performed in 2008, down from 1.31 million abortions in 2000.[4]

reference:
4. Jones RK and Kooistra K, Abortion incidence and access to services in the United States, 2008, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2011, 43(1):4150.
This is more than any and all wars the US has been involved in since WWII. It keeps going too. The gun issue is a second ammendment right. There is nothing debateable about that. So is the freedom of religion and exercise thereof. This right has recently come into attack by the current administration. This issue would be one that I would think any fence sitters will make up their mind over.

Ilegal immigration is just that, illegal. No GOP candidate is against immigration, just illegal. Personally, I believe we need to shut down the border so that the people on the other side are forced to look themselves in the mirror and fix what's wrong with their country and not use us (the US) as their welfare system. Another way you can look at it is this, the PRI Partido Revolutionario Institutional (Institutional Revolutionary Party) was in charge for the 80 years. It is Mexico's version of the Democrat party. Look what's happened there. This is what we do not want here. The last two presidents are from the PAN National Action Party, Only this last president has had the guts to take on the cartels. If the people in mexico are forced to work out their issues, then they can have a country that their poor do not need to flee from. I am a first generation American and my parents are from Mexico.

The environment issue is one that both parties can agree on but with the understanding that our economic strength and sovereignty should not be stepped on to acheive the environmentalist goals. We can move toward renewable energy but this time is not the time to go all in. The economy is hurting and being beholden to foreign powers on oil is not a position of strength nor economic and energy independence. We need to controll that no other nations or powers nor the extreme environmentalists.

Global warming issue has not been resolved. There are as many scientists that believe it does exist as there are that do not.

Grover Norquist.... has he been convicted of breaking any laws like Rezco or the weatherundergroud people? I don't know much about him other than what I read on Wiki so I have no real response here but there does not seem to be an issue here. You may have to enlighten me.

When a person was not considered to be a full fledged communist, the title given to new converts was "progressive". We need don't need to "fundamentally change" this country but restore it.

Overall, the progressive ideal is one that is without God.

God Bless
Old Mar 29, '12, 6:44 am

Quote:
Whitey- Thank you for your reply. How do you view the GOP views on illegal immigrants, guns, programs to help the poor, their view on the environment, global warming, and their support of Grover Norquist? I am trying to come to terms that their views on those issues are "fair".
1. Illegal Immigrants - The Republican view is, there are immigration laws that need to be enforced and the Dems haven't enforced them. Protect our borders and deport those that are here illegally. Bigger question - what to do with those illegals that have been here for years. Dems don't want to enforce the laws since they want the vote of the illegals and hire more expensive social services that have to be provided to them by the states.

2. guns - I stronglly support the Second Amendment and am disgusted by the anti-gun lobby.

3. programs to help the poor - this is an expense that has to come from somewhere, question, who is "the poor" is it the family that can't make ends meet that has 4 cell phones, internet, cable and a 60 inch plasm TV?

4. Environment - so the Republicans don't want a carbon tax? seriously the dems just want to regulate your life and trample on personal freedoms

5. Global Warming - if this is actually real then the only way to solve it is to foster independent commerce focused on this topic. No government regulation of your or my life is going to make one iota of difference in terms of the amount of CO2 that in the atomosphere.

6. Grover - well somebody better start focusing on the huge debt burden we are leaving our kids. I for one think that it is morally wrong to saddle an entire generation with debt because we want to pay for things we can't afford.

Matt. 5:44
But I say to you: Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. And pray for those who persecute and slander you.
Old Apr 14, '12, 9:45 am

Religion: Catholic (ex-atheist)

Quote:

Frankly, I don't care what the Republican Party does. As a Catholic you cannot vote for anyone who is not pro-life.

There are 4,500 surgical abortions every day in this country, plus many more induced by contraceptives. Those 4,500 alone are like 9/11 happening every day. We have no right to be upset about 9/11 until we are far more upset about abortion.

Most people are more upset when a tree is chopped down than when a mother murders her baby through abortion. When babies are seen as lower than vegetation, all other issues must fall by the wayside. America now has more blood on its hands than Nazi Germany thanks to abortion. A pro-abortion person is therefore no better than a Nazi. I know that sounds mean, but I don't believe in sugar-coating the truth.

Would you rather vote for Hitler or a Republican? If you would rather vote for Hitler, then by all means, vote Democratic.
I have left the forum because I do not believe I can continue to post here without supporting by my presence the immoral activity and ideas that this forum has come to (at the very least) tolerate and have always and everywhere been condemned by the Church.
Old Apr 15, '12, 6:02 am

I agree that you can't just vote for a candidate based on being a republican because not all of them are pro-life. You have to screen them carefully on all of their views. That is as close as I can come to agreeing with 62Joy.

I think the biggest problem I have with her comments is the willingness to give government control on all aspects of life. If you really want to see what a candidate is all about see how much money they donate to charities. And then look at what charities they donate (if they have any). I kinda resent the heartless way that conservative republicans are protrayed when lets face it.... they are caring and to give money (and many times lots of money) to their charities. Liberal democrats very, very little.

62Joy you think that programs like foodstamps, unemployment are great and to that I say they are necessary but they should not be unlimited. Many liberals democrats are all for "helping" families, but if they are asked to "give" then it is "not me" or "I can't afford that".

Jesus ask us to care for the poor, not the government. It is my job and yours also 62Joy, not the God has no place here government.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Right Wing Catholics