Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: How well is your parish doing?
Well enough 60 89.55%
Not very well 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 12, '12, 10:23 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: C&E are over, has your parish finally gotten the new translation down?

My parish has a lot of CEO (Christmas and Easter only) Catholics, so the Easter Mass was a bit jumbled as the old responses and the new mixed together. At the college chapel, the old people who show up for daily Mass often slip up.

“We belong to the Church militant; and She is militant because on earth the powers of darkness are ever restless to encompass Her destruction.” -Pius XII, AD 1953
Old Apr 12, '12, 11:51 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: C&E are over, has your parish finally gotten the new translation down?

The only thing that I can't get down for the life of me is the Sanctus when its just spoken in English. Sung, I'm gravy, but I always start to say power instead of hosts when we just say it.
Old Apr 12, '12, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Francis View Post
The only thing that I can't get down for the life of me is the Sanctus when its just spoken in English. Sung, I'm gravy, but I always start to say power instead of hosts when we just say it.
I have the same problem when the "Our Father" is chanted. I always know what to say when we recite it, but whenever we chant it, I actually have to think about what comes next.
Old Apr 12, '12, 1:24 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicZ09 View Post
I have the same problem when the "Our Father" is chanted. I always know what to say when we recite it, but whenever we chant it, I actually have to think about what comes next.
He who sings, prays twice - St Augustine

That's why singing is praying twice, I suppose, because you have to think harder and do mini-meditations on almost every word. Which is different than just saying it, I gather!

Old Apr 12, '12, 1:52 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalViews View Post

That's why singing is praying twice, I suppose, because you have to think harder and do mini-meditations on almost every word. Which is different than just saying it, I gather!

Huh. It's just the opposite for me. I don't have to think when singing/chanting. (Unless I don't know the notes/tones. )
Old Apr 12, '12, 6:17 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Francis View Post
I'm the same with the Gloria - 'Lord Jesus Christ, only-begotten Son' comes easily when we sing it, but saying it I find it aged not to revert to 'Lord Jesus Christ, only Son of the Father ...'

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Apr 12, '12, 6:56 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

Actually the phrase is bis orat qui bene cantat… "he who sings well prays twice."

What St. Augustine did say:

Qui enim cantat laudem, non solum laudat, sed etiam hilariter laudat; qui cantat laudem, non solum cantat, sed et amat eum quem cantat. In laude confitentis est praedicatio, in cantico amantis affectio…For he who sings praise, does not only praise, but also praises joyously; he who sings praise, is not only singing, but also loving Him whom he is singing about/to/for. There is a praise-filled public proclamation (praedicatio) in the praise of someone who is confessing/acknowledging (God), in the song of the lover (there is) there is deep love.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2006/06/who-s...ays-twice-not/
Old Apr 13, '12, 1:19 pm

Quote:

I think it depends on what you are use to. I had to use the "cheat sheets" this week to SAY the Gloria. I do ok when we sing it. Even with the old translation I had to think about it when we said it and I could coast singing. But, it is the other way for the Our Father. When we sing (VERY rare) I have to think more about it. I realize now that is true for some of the responses. as well. I actually like it when I have to think about what I say more.
Old Apr 15, '12, 6:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHW View Post
Huh. It's just the opposite for me. I don't have to think when singing/chanting. (Unless I don't know the notes/tones. )
Well then it doesn't apply to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Actually the phrase is bis orat qui bene cantat… "he who sings well prays twice."

What St. Augustine did say:

Qui enim cantat laudem, non solum laudat, sed etiam hilariter laudat; qui cantat laudem, non solum cantat, sed et amat eum quem cantat. In laude confitentis est praedicatio, in cantico amantis affectio…For he who sings praise, does not only praise, but also praises joyously; he who sings praise, is not only singing, but also loving Him whom he is singing about/to/for. There is a praise-filled public proclamation (praedicatio) in the praise of someone who is confessing/acknowledging (God), in the song of the lover (there is) there is deep love.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2006/06/who-s...ays-twice-not/
He who sings well prays twice.

That doesn't apply to me then either. I can't sing a note if it were one I wrote.

Old Apr 15, '12, 7:22 pm

Religion: cradle Catholic

I realized today that my own parish actually has the responses down pretty well. Today we went to Mass at my DFIL's nursing home. Talk about mumbled chaos. For obvious reasons, many of the residents don't have a clue about the changes. Combine this with the fact that the nursing home is the retirement center for the order of nuns who run the place where many of the nuns won't say "Him" or "He" in reference to God the Father and it was almost entertaining in a sad sort of way.

Kris
Old Apr 15, '12, 7:40 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Well then it doesn't apply to you

He who sings well prays twice.

That doesn't apply to me then either. I can't sing a note if it were one I wrote.
Try singing in Latin or Italian. A lot of people have trouble singing in English.
Old Apr 15, '12, 7:46 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Try singing in Latin or Italian. A lot of people have trouble singing in English.
I do find it much easier to sing Latin than English, yes, even though I haven't had a lick of formal Latin courses.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Apr 15, '12, 7:59 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
I'll have to ask my neighbour's permission first
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTradCath View Post
I do find it much easier to sing Latin than English, yes, even though I haven't had a lick of formal Latin courses.
Ah, but I need to pray twice to sing rather than sing well to pray twice.

Old Apr 15, '12, 8:12 pm

I am still hearing a lot of everything blended. I think I have it down pretty well...

My only problem is forgetting to kneel for the Eucharistic prayer because everyone is standing, and I know that we are supposed to kneel, but then I catch myself halfway through it.

I will get that down!! (I'm a former C&E... made the commitment on Ash Wednesday!)
Old Apr 16, '12, 1:29 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Pleased to report that yesterday we said 'it is right and just' - and not a single solitary 'it is right to give Him thanks and praise' nor even an 'it is mumble mumble mumble'

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments