Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Sandbox

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 15, '12, 6:57 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Made a mistake.

Today on my way into mass I deliberately snubbed my Pastor as he was standing outside greeting everyone. I did wish him a good morning but did not shake his hand as he extended to me. I feel terrible and felt this way all day. I want to apologize to him but unsure how I should approach him. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 15, '12, 8:13 pm

Religion: Industrial Strength Catholic
Default Re: Made a mistake.

Why did you do this? (Ask yourself, I don't need to know.) Go to him in the sacrament of Confession and admit it.
And this one thing is certain . . . the Christianity of history is not Protestantism. If there ever were a safe truth, it is this . . . To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant. ~ Blessed John Henry Newman, former Anglican clergyman, Catholic convert, and soon-to-be saint
Old Apr 15, '12, 8:14 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Don't worry about it! That's not snubbing. But if it's really truly bothering you, just approach him at the next Mass, and say "Hello Father! I'm sorry, I meant to shake your hand last time but I just had to leave! How are you?" (and extend your hand to shake his).

Now, it would be different if you didn't shake his hand because you wanted to send him a message...that you don't like him. In that case, indeed do go to confession! Mention it to him. Remember, Priests are God's men.

But if not, doncha worry

Old Apr 15, '12, 8:18 pm
Trial Membership

Smile Re: Made a mistake.

I wouldnt be so upset about it, or let it get you down. Everyone has bad days, and the fact that you are remorseful about it, shows your character, which im sure your pastor has already seen many times before! I'm sure your pastor didnt think too much of it, so id just start over the next time you see him!
Old Apr 15, '12, 8:27 pm

Religion: Atheist

I'd say you're being too hard on yourself. He probably thought nothing of it. But if it's really bugging you, just make sure that you shake his hand next time.
Old Apr 15, '12, 9:25 pm
Banned

Look, even if you DID do it to send him message like, I don't like you,
it is NOT a mortal sin to not like a particular priest, and you
have NOTHING to confess even if that were the case.
Now, not "liking" and not "loving" ((i.e., wishing him salvation and the grace of God)) him
are two different things.

I got upset, for a minute, at the holy souls whom I had been praying all day for for over a week, with the St. Gertrude prayers. WHY?
Because saints over and over again assure us that when we pray for the Holy Souls,
they are so grateful that they obtain us everything we need.
Well, I needed to accomplish certain things last week at work.
Not "wanted to" but NEEDED TO, and I asked the Holy Souls to help ensure I accomplished what I **needed** to accomplish.
Well, it didn't happen.

So, in a moment of frustration, I said, you know holy souls, I've been praying for and helping relieve hundreds of thousands of you this week, and you wouldn't even help me?
If you won't pray for me, then I won't pray for you anymore, either.

Then, less than 5 seconds later, I realized that that was a rude, unkind thing to say to the Holy Souls who, despite their prayers, CANNOT force other people's free wills, any more than God will, and I immediately apologized to them and said, "look, I've been praying for you Holy Souls for a lot more, more charitable reasons than just hoping you'll pray for me in return, so OF COURSE I'm going to keep praying for you, please forgive me for saying that."

Now, they are not Saints, they are not prophets, they are not anointed Priests in the afterlife, but wouldn't you know, the Devil immediately attacked my scrupulous conscience, telling me over and over, "you've just committed a mortal sin by blaspheming the Holy Souls!!!"
And it started really bugging and scaring me, even though I had apologized to them within seconds of saying that frustrated remark. Finally, I said GO AWAY SATAN, you are not going to falsely accuse me of mortal sin for being, and saying that I was, briefly angry with my departed brothers and sisters. We all get briefly upset at our fellow Christians, and as long as we do not nuture it, it is NOT mortal sin. The Holy Souls aren't Super Saints, they are our brothers and sisters who aren't even perfected yet. They love us, we love them, and sometimes we feel, and say, that we are disappointed in them. It is NOT mortal sin, unless you nurse the frustration as a GRUDGE.

Now, therefore, even IF there is something about your priest that makes you dislike him personally, that is NOT a mortal sin. Even if you DELIBERATELY chose not to shake his hand, it is not a Sin, much less a mortal one. Now, if you DISRESPECTED his PRIESTHOOD, that's another matter. But you don't dislike him, and you don't disrespect the priesthood, so don't worry at ALL about this. DON'T go to confession about this, either, unless you want to be extra nice, which is okay of course.
Otherwise, just pat him on the back and do what the poster above suggested, say something like, hey, I'm sorry I didn't shake your hand the other day, don't know what I was thinking, or something like that. No need to grovel. People fail to shake our CATHOLIC hands all the time, priests and laity, and they're not sinning at all.
Peace to you, brother.
Jaypeeto4
Old Apr 16, '12, 9:56 am
Trial Membership

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I actually do have a problem with him and it was done intentional. I believe I owe him a personal apology and I need to forgive what he may have not known what he did to me. I am glad to know this is not a sin and I will apologize to him directly.
Old Apr 16, '12, 10:10 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
Why did you do this? (Ask yourself, I don't need to know.) Go to him in the sacrament of Confession and admit it.
Old Apr 16, '12, 10:14 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Just give him a ring and say what you said here.
Old Apr 16, '12, 10:20 am

Religion: Meeting With FSSP Priest To Become Catholic

My advice, if you have a problem with him then go talk to him and work it out, while you’re doing this explain to him about the rejected handshake.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Sandbox