Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 16, '12, 11:48 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic
Default So what is going to Happen to the churches that Refuse

To support the one man /one woman marriage amendment ?
Old Apr 17, '12, 1:05 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: So what is going to Happen to the churches that Refuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKimmer View Post
To support the one man /one woman marriage amendment ?
Constitutionally, nothing should happen. Churches are free to practice their religion. The question is, sociologically what will happen? We've already seen several Protestant denominations cave in. The Catholic Church will never fall into this trap however, so perhaps the Church will see an influx of Protestants trying to escape their Church's attempt at trying to please society. Time will tell.
Old Apr 17, '12, 2:56 am

Religion: Christian (non-demoninational)

The mainline churches won't change to suit the Government's ideas. Catholics are against gay marriage, as are (the vast majority of) Anglicans, and the evangelical and Pentecostal churches. Thankfully we still have freedom of religion and conscience in the UK, so I don't see that changing.

What worries me is what happens to society when traditional marriage is no longer considered special. As a nation, we are losing our Christian foundations, and that can only be a bad thing.
The idea that science can enable us to live without [religion] is one of these silly modern stories. There's nothing in science that says the world can be finally understood by the human mind. John Gray, BBC News Online
Old Apr 17, '12, 3:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godith View Post
The mainline churches won't change to suit the Government's ideas.
I would agree with you but for the example of concraception. Once upon a time all Christian Churches were against its use... not so today. In the area of abortion, I have been alive long enough to see more and more "mainline churches" tolerate (if not accept) it here in the US. I watched as a mainline Protestant denomination ordained a homosexual bishop. Other denominations, considered mainline, have followed suit. Since then it appears that more and more of these other churches are blessing unions or outright marrying same sex couples. It's very sad.
Old Apr 17, '12, 4:01 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godith View Post
The mainline churches won't change to suit the Government's ideas. Catholics are against gay marriage, as are (the vast majority of) Anglicans, and the evangelical and Pentecostal churches. Thankfully we still have freedom of religion and conscience in the UK, so I don't see that changing.

What worries me is what happens to society when traditional marriage is no longer considered special. As a nation, we are losing our Christian foundations, and that can only be a bad thing.
Yes society is heading down a very dangerous path. I for one don't hold much hope for sociey, and whilst im not an advocate of any upcoming end of the world scenarios, i truly believe nuclear war in the future will prevent any of this from becoming a bigger issue because society will simply be unable to rebuild.
Old Apr 17, '12, 4:52 am

Families who are strong in the Lord and pray and worship together regularly according to the Lord's will are the building blocks of society.

We who are aware of the truth need to become more prayerful together. There is hope, and a strong remnant of believers can set the world on fire with the love of Christ!

Holy priests and women religious can come from such families; and men and women who marry putting the Lord first in their lives.

With God all things are possible!
Old Apr 20, '12, 4:36 pm

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Red face Re: So what is going to Happen to the churches that Refuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by serviichristii View Post
Yes society is heading down a very dangerous path. I for one don't hold much hope for sociey, and whilst im not an advocate of any upcoming end of the world scenarios, i truly believe nuclear war in the future will prevent any of this from becoming a bigger issue because society will simply be unable to rebuild.

We have to pray a lot!
Old Apr 21, '12, 8:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietjen View Post
Constitutionally, nothing should happen. Churches are free to practice their religion. The question is, sociologically what will happen? We've already seen several Protestant denominations cave in. The Catholic Church will never fall into this trap however, so perhaps the Church will see an influx of Protestants trying to escape their Church's attempt at trying to please society. Time will tell.
I left the Episcopal Church when they started ordaining homosexuals. Took me 11 years to find my way home to the Catholic Church. My mother still attends the Episcopal Church I was baptized and confirmed in. Their mass is presided over by a woman priest, a priestess I guess she is called.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence