Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Friends of Opus Dei (Please join, and invite others)

Friends of Opus Dei (Please join, and invite others) Click here to visit this social group

Old May 2, '09, 8:43 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Let's talk about ...Opus Dei

Let's share experiences, questions etc here. Are you a member, do you want to join, need help, knowledge, let's talk about ...Opus Dei.

Do join, and write. Marc (p.s. must join group to write in threads, way the forum is made. God Bless. Marc)
Old May 26, '09, 2:39 pm

Default Re: Let's talk about ...Opus Dei

I recently read "Women of Opus Dei," and greatly enjoyed it. Highly recommend it to women and men who want to know more about Opus Dei from real people living in the world today.

I am very appreciative of all that Opus Dei offers the Catholic community at large, especially evenings of recollection and spiritual direction, irrespective of whether people are Opus Dei.

Currently, I always carry "Friends of God," a collection of Fr. Escriva's homilies around with me, to use it for spare moments of reflection during the day. Thus far, I have found all the writing of Opus Dei members to be extremely erudite and edifying, culling wisdom from the cream of all Catholic spirituality: Scripture, Fathers of the Church, popes, saints, and hallmarks from all Catholic spiritual perspectives - Carmelites, Franciscan, Benedictine, Dominican, Jesuit ect.

I am presently discerning whether I have a vocation as an assoicate or numerary. Is the main distinction that an associate may have secular jobs, but a numerary is usually employed by Opus Dei and lives in Opus Dei housing?

Has any one began as a supernumerary and later decided to become a numerary or associate? Are all supernumeraries married?

I originally posted to the group wall, but I think the forum is probably the more appropriate place to post. I've not been on catholic Answers in a while, years, and now there are so many more options.
Old Jun 1, '09, 7:03 am

For both (forum and wall), people need to visit in order to see: the forum, of course: is visible to all members of the forums on the main pages, when new threads are made, so is more likely to be noticed . I'd advise both!. We are still a small group (personally neither, but fascinated and enthralled by the saintliness of Opus Dei), so I hope there is someone who can help, otherwise, we should get more members soon enough. Marc
Old Jul 25, '09, 1:59 am

Religion: Tiber Swim Team 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
I am presently discerning whether I have a vocation as an assoicate or numerary. Is the main distinction that an associate may have secular jobs, but a numerary is usually employed by Opus Dei and lives in Opus Dei housing? Are all supernumeraries married?
The vocation of associate and numerary differ mainly in that associate has usually some family or professional reason to not to live in the opus dei center, while numeraries live in the residence. Both of them usually have a secular job. Assistant numerary then again lives in the center, but has a job in taking care of the center (weather men's or women's) in sense that is like being the mother of the center. Weather all supernumeraries are married I do not know, but vast majority is.

Hope this helps!

"I place trust in God, my Creator, in all things; I love Him with all my heart."~ St. Jeanne d'Arc
Old Jul 25, '09, 2:15 am

I have few questions of my own too.

I am not a member, but being hanging near the Work for 2years now. Since that a lot has happened, moved to new country, got married, expecting a baby.. I had here in a center a numerary 'friend', I visited them once and she sent me some emails for a while. Now, train tickets are expensive and I have not been able to visit them since (almost half a year). She has not written me anything for months. Does that mean that she decided that I am not OD-material, therefor being 'friends' is not profitable? I read about this happening from John L. Allen's book 'Opus Dei':

The thing is that I am very much interested of them, and I am still in touch with my spiritual director from my former country of residence. I just don't understand why he always thought I could make it as a supernumerary, but this woman immediately thinks I am a waste of air. In the fall we will be moving to the same city where the center is located, but I am not even sure I want to write to the numerary about it, or weather I want to have anything to do with them. I feel so hurt by her actions and I really do not know what to do. Any advice anyone?

"I place trust in God, my Creator, in all things; I love Him with all my heart."~ St. Jeanne d'Arc
Old Jul 27, '09, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaela View Post

I am not a member, but being hanging near the Work for 2years now. Since that a lot has happened, moved to new country, got married, expecting a baby.. I had here in a center a numerary 'friend', I visited them once and she sent me some emails for a while. Now, train tickets are expensive and I have not been able to visit them since (almost half a year). She has not written me anything for months. Does that mean that she decided that I am not OD-material, therefor being 'friends' is not profitable? I read about this happening from John L. Allen's book 'Opus Dei':

The thing is that I am very much interested of them, and I am still in touch with my spiritual director from my former country of residence. I just don't understand why he always thought I could make it as a supernumerary, but this woman immediately thinks I am a waste of air. In the fall we will be moving to the same city where the center is located, but I am not even sure I want to write to the numerary about it, or weather I want to have anything to do with them. I feel so hurt by her actions and I really do not know what to do. Any advice anyone?
Write her on an everyday issue- if she does not reply- then perhaps she does not understand the Gospel's value of ordinary friendship.

With all the false information about Opus Dei- I do not know the accuracy of that book- as you may know i am not a member of Opus Dei. I cannot give insight of that manner.
Old Jul 28, '09, 2:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Aupiais View Post
Write her on an everyday issue- if she does not reply- then perhaps she does not understand the Gospel's value of ordinary friendship.
Thank you for your answer. This book is actually been said to be, even by OD members one of the most neutral one on them. For instance, the writer is Catholic. Anyway he states what Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor in UK was worried about, that OD members tend to use 'friendships' and 'befriending' for purposes of attracting people to the group. I really like St. Josemaria, but I am not sure on my stance on OD. I need to think on this one, pray for what to do, perhaps I find my answer..

Old Aug 5, '09, 12:29 am
Greeter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to jaaraf
Cool Re: Let's talk about ...Opus Dei

Quote:
Weather all supernumeraries are married I do not know, but vast majority is.
Majority of supernumeraries are married, but there are a few who are widowed and some who have never been married before. A few of my friends are in the latter kind.

J.A.
P.S. I'm a female associate of Opus Dei
Old Aug 5, '09, 12:36 am
Greeter

Wink Re: Let's talk about ...Opus Dei

Quote:

There's always a possibility that your numerary friend has been transferred elsewhere or may be attending to tasks of govenment in the Work that she might be still adjusting too, so maybe the emails are not coming. Nevertheless, try to write her again. The best way may be to go to the Opus Dei center and inquire about her.
I myself try to be in touch with all of my friends, Opus Dei material or not, even those who outright say that my invitations to attend activities are not welcome. Still, I don't let go of friendships, but at times, it's the other party that lets go or communication becomes more difficult because of matters of work, family, other obligations.
That's just my personal opinion. I'm not claiming that it's the case here.

J.A.
P.S. I'm a female associate of Opus Dei
Old Aug 12, '09, 9:44 pm

I've been reading The Way and I'm about half way through it so far. I love how St. Josemaria is so straightforward and poetic at the same time. I've been trying to incorporate what he says into my own life and I have seen positive results.
Old Sep 3, '09, 8:57 am
Greeter

[quote=serendipity;5247816]

Has any one began as a supernumerary and later decided to become a numerary or associate? Are all supernumeraries married?
QUOTE]

I know several people who started out as supernumeraries then later decided to become numeraries or associates. At the time I was trying to decide my place in Opus Dei, it was suggested that I could join as a supernumerary then become an associate or numerary when I had really discerned. Eventually, I discovered that God wanted me to be an associate of Opus Dei (most of the time though, I was trying to decide whether I was meant to be a supernumerary or a numerary )

Not all supernumeraries are married, but since they do not live apostolic celibacy, they usually get married in the near future. A few of my friends are unmarried supernumeraries, still waiting for the right guy.
Old Mar 28, '12, 3:25 pm

I have been discerning this for me, being a supernumerary. I am married with two beautiful children but I wonder if God is calling me also to be a supernumerary. I know this question is poorly worded, but, what does one need to do to "join"? Please let me know.

From what I understand, one goes to daily mass, one prays the rosary daily, one attends retreats, one attends group talks (don't know what they are called). That is all I know.... can you please guide me more as to what else. Thank You.
Old Apr 21, '12, 4:38 am
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearningforGod View Post
I have been discerning this for me, being a supernumerary. I am married with two beautiful children but I wonder if God is calling me also to be a supernumerary. I know this question is poorly worded, but, what does one need to do to "join"? Please let me know.

From what I understand, one goes to daily mass, one prays the rosary daily, one attends retreats, one attends group talks (don't know what they are called). That is all I know.... can you please guide me more as to what else. Thank You.
You would need to talk to a priest of Opus Dei about this as well as a lay member... You might look into becoming a cooperator, someone who is not a member of Opus Dei but prays for Opus Dei and helps materially or with work.on some undertaking. In that manner, you may see if this is really God's plan for you. I encourage you to continue attending recollections and other formative activities
offered. I'll pray for you.

Full disclosure: I've been an associate of Opus Dei for the past 11 years, since shortly before graduating from college.
Old Jun 7, '12, 7:45 am

Religion: Roman catholic

Quote:

Well, I must sympathise with you on this, because I know it could feel terrible to think that you have been left out because you didn't meet expectations.
However, please take into consideration this friend's temperament and the fact that she may be struggling with many things. Try to reach out to her, even if you only say hello, she'll remember and be glad to see u.
There are many ways to holiness, Opus Dei is just one of them. She knows that, I'm sure. So she can't love u any less just because u may not have a vocation to Opus Dei.

With love.

Busybee
Old Jul 24, '12, 11:32 am
Trial Membership

Greetings!

I'm currently in a location that is nowhere near an Opus Dei center, but I am interested in discerning whether I have a vocation. If nothing else, I would like to be directed in spiritual formation within an Opus context. Any of the Opus Dei members on the forum have suggestions? Am I just out of luck unless I move?

Thanks,

Josh

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Friends of Opus Dei (Please join, and invite others)