Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Help! How does CAF work?

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 23, '12, 4:18 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Default Scapular Medal

Does the four way cross medal suffice as a brown scapular?
"Glory forever!"
Old Apr 23, '12, 5:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Scapular Medal

It does not suffice, you will have to get a special thingy for it to be valid. I read it on a pamphlet I got when I ordered a scapular online.
Old Apr 23, '12, 6:12 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuarc View Post
It does not suffice, you will have to get a special thingy for it to be valid. I read it on a pamphlet I got when I ordered a scapular online.
"thingy"?

It is valid to wear a scapular medal. A four way is just the scapular medal fused together with three other medals. It's usually, but not always in the shape of a cross. There is no reason that the presence of the other three medals somehow negates the scapular medal.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 23, '12, 7:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
"thingy"?

It is valid to wear a scapular medal. A four way is just the scapular medal fused together with three other medals. It's usually, but not always in the shape of a cross. There is no reason that the presence of the other three medals somehow negates the scapular medal.
This is from the pamphlet that came with the scapular. I got it from the Fatima Center (their website Fatima.org). And I do quote:

"The Scapular medal: Many Catholics may not know that it is the wish of our Holy Father, the Pope, that the Scapular Medal should not be worn in place of the Cloth Scapular without sufficient reason. Mary cannot be pleased without anyone who substitutes the medal out of vanity, or fear to make an open profession of their religion. Such persons run the risk of not receiving the Promise. The Medal has never been noted for any of the miraculous preservations attributed to the Brown Cloth Scapular"

That's their story and I am sticking to it.
Old Apr 23, '12, 7:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Thanks, Corki, I thought that it was valid but wasn`t sure. I have been enrolled in the brown scapular and the medal has been blessed. I used to have a scapular medal that contained a piece of the brown scapular enclosed in it but somehow I must have lost it unfortunately.
The only time I remove the four way medal is when I shower.
"Glory forever!"
Old Apr 23, '12, 7:51 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuarc View Post
This is from the pamphlet that came with the scapular. I got it from the Fatima Center (their website Fatima.org). And I do quote:

"The Scapular medal: Many Catholics may not know that it is the wish of our Holy Father, the Pope, that the Scapular Medal should not be worn in place of the Cloth Scapular without sufficient reason. Mary cannot be pleased without anyone who substitutes the medal out of vanity, or fear to make an open profession of their religion. Such persons run the risk of not receiving the Promise. The Medal has never been noted for any of the miraculous preservations attributed to the Brown Cloth Scapular"

That's their story and I am sticking to it.
However, in 1910, the Pope gave permission for anyone enrolled in the scapular to wear the medal instead.

Quote:
Since 1910 and the regulation of the Holy Office of 16 December of that year (Acta Apost. Sedis, III, 22 sq.) it is permitted to wear, instead of one or more of the small scapulars a single medal of metal. This medal must have on one side a representation of Jesus Christ with His Most Sacred Heart and on the other an image of the Mother of God. All persons who have been validly invested with a blessed woollen scapular may replace such by this medal. The medal must be blessed by a priest possessing the faculty to bless and invest with the scapular or scapulars which the medal is to replace. The faculties to bless these medals are subject to the same conditions and limitations as the faculties to bless and invest with the corresponding scapulars. If the medal is to be worn instead of a number of different scapulars, it must receive the blessing that would be attached to each of them, i.e. as many blessings as the number of scapulars it replaces. For each blessing a sign of the Cross suffices. This medal must also be worn constantly, either about the neck or in some other seemly manner, and with it may be attained all the indulgences and privileges of the small scapulars without exception.
I think I will take the word of the Pope over that of a site run by a priest who has had his faculties revoked. (BTW, I don't think you are allowed to post that URL here on CAF)
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 23, '12, 7:54 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chococat View Post
Thanks, Corki, I thought that it was valid but wasn`t sure. I have been enrolled in the brown scapular and the medal has been blessed. I used to have a scapular medal that contained a piece of the brown scapular enclosed in it but somehow I must have lost it unfortunately.
The only time I remove the four way medal is when I shower.
I would love to have a medal like the one you describe. I love my four way, however, and never take it off (not even when I shower).

Even if you subscribe to the more restrictive positon of needing a good reason to wear the medal instead of the cloth - that's my reason. I couldn't wear the cloth all the time but I can wear the medal 24/7. That's a pretty good reason.

Old Jul 9, '13, 9:45 am

This is really good to know. I just received a four-way scapular medal and have been looking all over trying to figure out if it could substitute for wearing a cloth scapular. Thanks guys!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Help! How does CAF work?