Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '12, 8:43 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Maronite Priest- What is He Doing?

When I take my 3 year-old with me up for Communion the Priest puts the Ciborium on top of her head. What is that?

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:49 am

Religion: Ruthenian Catholic
Default Re: Maronite Priest- What is He Doing?

He is giving a blessing.
Old Apr 24, '12, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBlack View Post
He is giving a blessing.
I know that the practice of blessing kids on the communion line is frowned upon by many in the Latin rite. Is this not the case in the Maronite?

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Apr 24, '12, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringil View Post
I know that the practice of blessing kids on the communion line is frowned upon by many in the Latin rite. Is this not the case in the Maronite?
Different kind of blessing. Priest's don't give blessings when in the presence of the Eucharist. It just doesn't make sense to give a priestly blessing when in the presence of God. In this case however, the blessing is a Eucharistic blessing. Nothing wrong with that.
Old Apr 24, '12, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllhouette View Post
Different kind of blessing. Priest's don't give blessings when in the presence of the Eucharist. It just doesn't make sense to give a priestly blessing when in the presence of God. In this case however, the blessing is a Eucharistic blessing. Nothing wrong with that.
Thanks.

It's a nice practice.

Old Apr 24, '12, 9:49 am

Quote:
It is frowned upon for the EMHC's to give blessings to the children, but most priests do in all the churches I have ever been in. I don't know about the EF or the Maronites.
Old Apr 24, '12, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Catholic View Post
It is frowned upon for the EMHC's to give blessings to the children, but most priests do in all the churches I have ever been in. I don't know about the EF or the Maronites.
My understanding is that in the Latin rite many priests are questioning or frowning upon the practice of blessing kids in the communion line.

Of course Eucharistic ministers shouldn't be doing anything like that. I wouldn't approach one with my kid for concern that they may do this.

Last edited by ringil; Apr 24, '12 at 10:09 am.
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:00 am

that is so awesome !
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:05 am

Quote:
My understanding is that in the Latin rite many priests are questioning or frowning upon the practice of blessing kids in the communion line.

Of course Eucharistic ministers shouldn't be doing anything like that. I wouldn't approch one with my kid for concern that they may do this.
The problem is that in the Latin parishes people expect the priest to give a blessing while in this case it is a Eucharist blessing. Two different things, it is also important to look at the understanding of proper reception of communion according to Latin vs. eastern theology.
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:08 am

Religion: Industrial Strength Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Catholic View Post

Blessings in the Communion line

Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments (Protocol No. 930/08/L):

Quote:
1. The liturgical blessing of the Holy Mass is properly given to each and to all at the conclusion of the Mass, just a few moments subsequent to the distribution of Holy Communion.

2. Lay people, within the context of Holy Mass, are unable to confer blessings. These blessings, rather, are the competence of the priest (cf. Ecclesia de Mysterio, Notitiae 34 (15 Aug. 1997), art. 6, § 2; Canon 1169, § 2; and Roman Ritual De Benedictionibus (1985), n. 18).

3. Furthermore, the laying on of a hand or hands — which has its own sacramental significance, inappropriate here — by those distributing Holy Communion, in substitution for its reception, is to be explicitly discouraged.

4. The Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio n. 84, “forbids any pastor, for whatever reason to pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry”. To be feared is that any form of blessing in substitution for communion would give the impression that the divorced and remarried have been returned, in some sense, to the status of Catholics in good standing.

5. In a similar way, for others who are not to be admitted to Holy Communion in accord with the norm of law, the Church’s discipline has already made clear that they should not approach Holy Communion nor receive a blessing. This would include non-Catholics and those envisaged in can. 915 (i.e., those under the penalty of excommunication or interdict, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin).

REDEMTIONIS SACRAMENTUM
CHAPTER VIII

REMEDIES
2. Grave Matters[173.] Although the gravity of a matter is to be judged in accordance with the common teaching of the Church and the norms established by her, objectively to be considered among grave matters is anything that puts at risk the validity and dignity of the Most Holy Eucharist: namely, anything that contravenes what is set out above in nn. 48-52, 56, 76-77, 79, 91-92, 94, 96, 101-102, 104, 106, 109, 111, 115, 117, 126, 131-133, 138, 153 and 168.

This ritual appears nowhere in the approved liturgical books of the Church. In fact, a person, on his own authority, cannot invent a ritual and insert into the Mass.

The Documents of Vatican II, Sacrosanctum Concilium, III. The Reform of the Sacred Liturgy, A. General Norms: 3:

Therefore no other person, even if he be a priest, may add, remove, or change anything in the Liturgy on his own authority.

Redemptionis Sacramentum:

[11.] The Mystery of the Eucharist "is too great for anyone to permit himself to treat it according to his own whim, so that its sacredness and its universal ordering would be obscured".27 On the contrary, anyone who acts thus by giving free rein to his own inclinations, even if he is a Priest, injures the substantial unity of the Roman Rite, which ought to be vigorously preserved,28 and becomes responsible for actions that are in no way consistent with the hunger and thirst for the living God that is experienced by the people today.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1125 For this reason {lex orandi, lex credendi, the Church believes as she prays] no sacramental rite may be modified or manipulated at the will of the minister or the community. Even the supreme authority in the Church may not change the liturgy arbitrarily, but only in obedience of faith and with religious respect for the mystery of the liturgy.
And this one thing is certain . . . the Christianity of history is not Protestantism. If there ever were a safe truth, it is this . . . To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant. ~ Blessed John Henry Newman, former Anglican clergyman, Catholic convert, and soon-to-be saint
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:21 am

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

It's a blessing, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the reprobated practice of "blessing" in lieu of communion in the Latin Rite Novus Ordo.

In any case, unfortunately, the Maronite Church has not restored the practice of communion with infant baptism, so what is done is simply a blessing imparted to children who have not yet been admitted to the Eucharist. The practice is of very long standing (dating, I believe, to the late 16th century). When it is done (and it is not universal any longer -- many of the more "modern" clergy hardly even know of the practice), it is only done for children, and even then, only to children whose parents bring them forward in the communion line.
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:24 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllhouette View Post
aren't we always in the presence of God?

in that we can call his name and he is with us anywhere where we are - we cannot hide from God because he is so amazingly always with us. Amen
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishredrose View Post

in that we can call his name and he is with us anywhere where we are - we cannot hide from God because he is so amazingly always with us. Amen
Yes but if I follow your logic I can state that people should not ask for a blessing at all and I can bring it to the extreme and say that we also do not need to receive communion. Sacraments and sacramentals have very specific functions and effects.
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:43 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishredrose View Post

Different concept of "presence". As Catholics, we believe in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist - Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. It's a different theology than many Anglicans have.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by malphono View Post
It's a blessing, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the reprobated practice of "blessing" in lieu of communion in the Latin Rite Novus Ordo.

In any case, unfortunately, the Maronite Church has not restored the practice of communion with infant baptism, so what is done is simply a blessing imparted to children who have not yet been admitted to the Eucharist. The practice is of very long standing (dating, I believe, to the late 16th century). When it is done (and it is not universal any longer -- many of the more "modern" clergy hardly even know of the practice), it is only done for children, and even then, only to children whose parents bring them forward in the communion line.
Very informative- thank you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism