Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '12, 6:35 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Union members protest Walker appearance

From the State Journal Register:
Thousands of sign-wielding union workers angrily protested Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s speech before business leaders in Springfield Tuesday

The gathering outside the President Abraham Lincoln Hotel at some points seemed more rock concert than political rally, among other things featuring two 20-foot inflatable, red-eyed rats and a taller cutout of Walker with the words "Don't Badger Us" on it.

Walker’s signature on a bill that severely curtailed the collective bargaining rights of public-sector unions has made him an enemy to organized labor nationwide.
So much of an enemy, some of the rabble rousers were calling for his head to be cut off, Old Testament style.

See video of this here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQNl0OQA4MU
Old Apr 24, '12, 6:49 pm

Default Re: Union members protest Walker appearance

I live in Springfield, very close to the site of this rally. I was at work while this was going on but didn't notice a huge or extraordinary amount of activity. I work very near the Capitol and when there is a rally of any kind going on I usually can hear it from my office, but I did not on this day.

I find it very ironic that the unions should be out protesting Gov. Walker, who at least when he changed the union contract rules, did so by the legislative process and let everyone know ahead of time exactly what he intended to do, when OUR OWN Democratic governor, Gov. Quinn, reneged unilaterally on an existing union contract with state workers last year by simply ordering pay raises that were part of the contract not to be given. Now, I'm not a union member and I realize why this was done (lack of money in the state budget). Still, it seems to me that to abruptly announce on the day the raise was supposed to take effect, "Sorry, you're not getting it", with no warning whatsoever, is LESS honorable than what Gov. Walker did. But, since Gov. Quinn is a Democrat, you never hear about it outside of Springfield, I guess....
Old Apr 24, '12, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Square View Post
But, since Gov. Quinn is a Democrat, you never hear about it outside of Springfield, I guess....
Funny how that works, isn't it?

John Paul II had some interesting words on that very subject:
Just efforts to secure the rights of workers who are united by the same profession should always take into account the limitations imposed by the general economic situation of the country. Union demands cannot be turned into a kind of group or class "egoism", although they can and should also aim at correcting-with a view to the common good of the whole of society- everything defective in the system of ownership of the means of production or in the way these are managed. Social and socioeconomic life is certainly like a system of "connected vessels", and every social activity directed towards safeguarding the rights of particular groups should adapt itself to this system.

In this sense, union activity undoubtedly enters the field of politics, understood as prudent concern for the common good. However, the role of unions is not to "play politics" in the sense that the expression is commonly understood today. Unions do not have the character of political parties struggling for power; they should not be subjected to the decision of political parties or have too close links with them. In fact, in such a situation they easily lose contact with their specific role, which is to secure the just rights of workers within the £ramework of the common good of the whole of society; instead they become an instrument used for other purposes.
Encyclical Laborem Exercens, 20
Old Apr 24, '12, 7:54 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomalley View Post
Thousands of sign-wielding union workers angrily protested Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s speech before business leaders in Springfield Tuesday

The gathering outside the President Abraham Lincoln Hotel at some points seemed more rock concert than political rally, among other things featuring two 20-foot inflatable, red-eyed rats and a taller cutout of Walker with the words "Don't Badger Us" on it.

Walker’s signature on a bill that severely curtailed the collective bargaining rights of public-sector unions has made him an enemy to organized labor nationwide.
So much of an enemy, some of the rabble rousers were calling for his head to be cut off, Old Testament style.

The nerve of those union workers who are protesting. Let's all go back to the days of sweat shops with no child labor laws or workers' rights, as we had 100 years ago in the Triangle Waist Shirt factory in New York City, where so many young immigrant Italian and Jewish women lost their lives, and what we still have today in private schools, for example, in which the hiring and firing of teachers is solely at the whim of the headmaster. After all, unions serve no purpose except self-aggrandizement.
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:58 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
The nerve of those union workers who are protesting. Let's all go back to the days of sweat shops with no child labor laws or workers' rights, as we had 100 years ago in the Triangle Waist Shirt factory in New York City, where so many young immigrant Italian and Jewish women lost their lives, and what we still have today in private schools, for example, in which the hiring and firing of teachers is solely at the whim of the headmaster. After all, unions serve no purpose except self-aggrandizement.
Don't forget the millions who died (many Jews among them) when the Bolsheviks took over the Russian Empire on the backs of Unions.

Unions have done a lot of good in the world. That doesn't make them universally good (indeed they've committed too much evil for that to be true), or anything more than an anachronism.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Apr 24, '12, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Yeah, as if that's the only outcome of Gov. Walker's legislation. Nice false dichotomy.

"To love for the sake of being loved is human; to love for the sake of loving is Angelic." -- Alphonse de Lamartine
Old Apr 24, '12, 10:18 pm

Religion: Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomalley View Post

I can see why organized labor is not friendly with Walker; he's done nothing but hurt them since becoming governor. They won't rest until he's finally out of office, which i think will happen sooner then later.

Proud Independent Since 1973
Old Apr 25, '12, 5:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
I can see why organized labor is not friendly with Walker; he's done nothing but hurt them since becoming governor. They won't rest until he's finally out of office, which i think will happen sooner then later.
The fact that union labor is not endorsing Walker is a positive that he should use in the next election.
Old Apr 25, '12, 7:07 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Oh, let's go back further than that. What's the passage of 100 years in history, after all? Let's go back to ancient Rome. The slaves then had no union representation whatever. That's why they were slaves. And their slavemasters were oppressive Italians.

Cause and effect are clear. Italians should never be allowed to hold public office, or the next thing you know, they'll have state employees rowing galleys.
Old Apr 25, '12, 7:32 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to qui est ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
The fact that union labor is not endorsing Walker is a positive that he should use in the next election.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News