Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '12, 7:28 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Conversing with a Protestant friend.

How do I respond to a friend who is trying to "open my eyes" to "true Christianity" i.e. the Baptist Church.
Old Apr 24, '12, 7:45 pm

Default Re: Conversing with a Protestant friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BListon View Post
How do I respond to a friend who is trying to "open my eyes" to "true Christianity" i.e. the Baptist Church.
If you're up to it, spar with him. There's all kinds of resources available to answer whatever issues he brings up.

If you're not the debating kind of person, just be polite and show him by your actions that Catholics love and follow Christ.

In either case, he certainly means well, so it should be possible to keep things friendly.
Old Apr 24, '12, 7:52 pm

Keep in mind that when it comes to religious discussions with non-Catholics, they use a completely different vocabulary then we do.
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:03 pm

Quote:
That depends on what he's asking. The link below has explanations and Scriptures of the topics that could come up.
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:03 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

If he knows you are Catholic and has made this remark about showing you "True Christianity, ask him what he thinks is not "true Christianity about the Catholic Church. Then - when he gives you some answer you can gently correct whatever misunderstanding he has about the Church - if you don't immediately know the answer to a given objection, simply tell him that you will get back to him on that one.

Generally these kinds of comments come from misunderstandings about church teachings.

Mostly try to demonstrate from Scripture just how biblical the Church actually is. This is not difficult to do.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:10 pm

As a former Fundamentalist Baptist, I would encourage charity, first and last. Your friend likely feels the way I was taught, that we were the only ones who really paid attention to the Bible. Everyone else, we were told, were following the traditions of men or were simply wrong. Questions answered in a kind way will go far.

Be prepared to explain:
that we don't worship statues, why we baptize infants, the reason for confession (You will be quoted the verse about there being one mediator between God and man.), that clerical celibacy is a discipline, that we don't worship Mary, Purgatory, that papal infallibility only applies to his speaking ex cathedra in matters of faith and morals and is not to suggest a pope is sinless, and the Eucharist.

The best preparation I have found is Karl Keating's "Catholicism and Fundamentalism."
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:11 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Please show your friend this link below and also, any books by Dr. Scott Hahn, formerly ordained in the presbyterian church who, along with his wife Kimberly, converted to the Catholic Faith, (he first, she following.) Their story is told in the wonderful book "Rome Sweet Home" and another beautiful book is "The Lamb's Supper, The Mass as Heaven on Earth."
Blessings,
Kathryn Ann
Here is the link that will perhaps open your friend's eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN5f-EWPTP4
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: I want to be Catholic. I also follow elements of Buddhism.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Holy War 11

Tell him or her, "I am already a true Christian, my church is Christ's Church, Christ Himself laid the foundation of my church when He said "You are Peter, and upon this rock I Will Church. For 1,500 years there was only one Church, The Catholic Church."
Old Apr 24, '12, 8:16 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert

As an ex-protestant, I can tell you that you need make sure that of you can define the terms you are using. They need to do the same. I would suggest that you read the book Catholicism and Fundamentalism. All too often conflicts flare up b/c what we say and what they hear is different. It may sound silly, but you need to make sure you are talking apples to apples. For example, my best friend didn't have a problem with my converting. But imagine my surprise when she realized, just this past weekend, that we truly believe in the real presence of the Eucharist. She is a lifelong Baptist and teaches Sunday School. Whenever she heard that it was the body and blood of Christ...she heard that we really meant that it was symbolic.
Old Apr 25, '12, 11:20 am
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Well, let's face it: the majority of Protestant-Catholic apologetics is a matter of committing several dozen basic arguments to memory, as well as acceptable responses and counter-responses to them. To that end, it makes sense to go to the main page of this apostolate, and review the many tracts that are available there.

But let's also face another fact, the better educated you are in your own faith, the less likely you are to be troubled by such conversations.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization