Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans

Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans Click here to visit this social group

Old Apr 23, '12, 6:30 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default I ate meat yesterday =[ but it didn't taste nice

I've been a vegetarian for more than 2 months now and yesterday I had a huge craving for a cheeseburger. So I had one.

And it just did not taste the same. In my memory it was nice, juicy and moreish. But it just tasted to me slightly burnt (it wasn't) and it made my stomach feel funny.

I feel bad about it now, really bad. Is this normal regarding it not being the same?
Old Apr 25, '12, 2:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I ate meat yesterday =[ but it didn't taste nice

We did that same thing once. The hamburger tasted so greasy and flat. It was amazingly, surprisingly awful. Each time I think I need something off our vegetarian/vegan sensible way of eating, it's the same thing. Nothing hits the mark for feeling good like a plate of nice veggies. And the more we stay away from sugars - it gets even better.

Old May 23, '12, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
I've been a vegetarian for more than 2 months now and yesterday I had a huge craving for a cheeseburger. So I had one.

And it just did not taste the same. In my memory it was nice, juicy and moreish. But it just tasted to me slightly burnt (it wasn't) and it made my stomach feel funny.

I feel bad about it now, really bad. Is this normal regarding it not being the same?
Do you feel bad as in you violated your conscience, or are you saying you just felt physically bad from the burger?
Old Jun 3, '12, 2:19 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - revert

I did the same thing after about 3 months (like 12 years ago) ate a chicken cheesesteak sub. It was not nearly what I had imagined in my mind. It was all I needed to continue with vegetarianism. Meat will not typically will not live up to your cravings.
Old Jun 4, '12, 5:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post

Once we give something up we tend to put it up on a pedestal in our mind of being better than it actually is. I've had meat probably 3 times since going plant-based and it just tastes like pure grease and fat. Similarly, I don't normally drink soda so when I do try it maybe once a year it tends to burn my throat and make my eyes really teary for a good 15 minutes!

Don't feel bad, if anything this is just reassurance that your taste is shifting to a (hopefully) healthier way of eating!
Old Jun 7, '12, 5:29 pm

Religion: catholic

I have eaten red meat after being vegan for awhile and in some strange sense I felt like a cannibal.. It was actually revolting. Unfortuanately I think there are so many additives, preservatives, hormones etc etc and unknowns in the typical American diet that we are addicted and it takes time to break addictions. This isn't just true of meat but of soda pop and other industry greats.
Old Jun 8, '12, 10:05 am

For me it is a violation of my spirituality; I feel as though I have violated my conscious and to some degree, my body as well. I will eat it in certain social situations out of love, but I prefer to stay away from meat, knowing what the meat industry is doing to our environment.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans