Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 25, '12, 12:04 pm

Religion: Industrial Strength Catholic
Default Re: What do Baptists believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post
That is not really accurate Jimdandy. Henry sought an annulment, not a divorce. And it would likely have happened if it were not for the fact that Catherine of Aragon was not the aunt of the King of Spain. Henry was only allowed to marry Catherine due to a special dispensation from the Pope.

There was at least as much politics involved as religion. But it is also true that Henry was a very wicked man.
Catherine of Aragon was the daughter of the King and Queen of Spain, Ferdinand and Isabella, and Emperor Charles V was her nephew, according to my Western Civilizations history text. (The "not" in your post was a typo, right?) This website of Tudor history says Henry sought a "divorce." But it was an annulment -- thanks for the correction.

http://www.the-tudors.org.uk/catherine-of-aragon.htm

Back to topic, or we'll get demerits.
And this one thing is certain . . . the Christianity of history is not Protestantism. If there ever were a safe truth, it is this . . . To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant. ~ Blessed John Henry Newman, former Anglican clergyman, Catholic convert, and soon-to-be saint
Old Apr 25, '12, 2:31 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
Nah, but if you want you start a thread on the Kleenex God.
Old Apr 25, '12, 3:14 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hilbert View Post
I'd read that thread!
Old Apr 25, '12, 5:50 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Catherine of Aragon was the daughter of the King and Queen of Spain, Ferdinand and Isabella, and Emperor Charles V was her nephew, according to my Western Civilizations history text. (The "not" in your post was a typo, right?) This website of Tudor history says Henry sought a "divorce." But it was an annulment -- thanks for the correction.

http://www.the-tudors.org.uk/catherine-of-aragon.htm

Yes the "not" was a typo, I have had stoke and sometimes fail misserably, sorry.
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:37 pm

Religion: Considering Anglican Church in North America

Quote:
My apology to you and to g, Anna. I didn't know the background. Much obliged for your post.
No problem JD.

Anna
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:39 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hilbert View Post
Old Apr 28, '12, 2:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewstew03 View Post
Well done JustaServant. As a former SBC congregant, I'm going to bookmark this post...
Bravo JustaServant. As a cradle Catholic, I'm going to bookmark this post too

peace
Old Apr 28, '12, 3:13 pm

wished I woulda seen this thread when it started.
I'm 46 yr old dad with 4 kids in N.E Georgia. Done an extremely BAD job raising my kids with religion.
I just started goin back to the Catholic church a few years ago (because my 3rd child wanted to become Catholic after goin the last 4 or 5 years with my mom). I was a cradle Catholic who just wondered away from religion in general over the years.
About 25 yrs ago my brother basically converted to Baptist because of the woman he was married to at the time. And I know the preacher put it in my brothers head that Catholicism was Communism. Because the Pope was from Poland!! My brother still attends a Baptist Church today but has drastically changed his views about his original religion.
But now my Dad has joined a Baptist Church here in our town a few years ago and has actually got my 19 yr old son very INVOLVED with that church. Last summer my Dad invited me to go to their church one day, I told em I would go on a Wednesday but couldnt go on a Sunday. He asked y and I told em I had my own church. Then he proceeds to tell me that Catholics is a "dead" religion full of "Pagans"!! Now the saddest part was I wasn't sure what "pagan" meant so I had to look it up . So he few days later after he gave me a KJV bible (and told me it was the ONLY bible I needed, and when I asked what makes that one the 'ONLY" bible, he says "cause I said it is".) and he AGAIN tells me that it is a "dead" religion and full of Pagans. So I ask him if he doesnt consider my mom a Christian, and he said "yes she is, but her religion isnt
Now my Dad had NO issues with my mom raisin me and my brother Catholic, and he never went to church durin my youth (altho he was raised in a Southern Baptist Church), but the only thing that I can see would give him these thoughts about our church would be his preacher and his church in general

And bein raised in the south around all the Southern Baptist, I can tell ya I have heard the statue worship and Mary worship my entire life!!
Old Apr 28, '12, 3:22 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadair View Post
wished I woulda seen this thread when it started.
I'm 46 yr old dad with 4 kids in N.E Georgia. Done an extremely BAD job raising my kids with religion.
I just started goin back to the Catholic church a few years ago (because my 3rd child wanted to become Catholic after goin the last 4 or 5 years with my mom). I was a cradle Catholic who just wondered away from religion in general over the years.
About 25 yrs ago my brother basically converted to Baptist because of the woman he was married to at the time. And I know the preacher put it in my brothers head that Catholicism was Communism. Because the Pope was from Poland!! My brother still attends a Baptist Church today but has drastically changed his views about his original religion.
But now my Dad has joined a Baptist Church here in our town a few years ago and has actually got my 19 yr old son very INVOLVED with that church. Last summer my Dad invited me to go to their church one day, I told em I would go on a Wednesday but couldnt go on a Sunday. He asked y and I told em I had my own church. Then he proceeds to tell me that Catholics is a "dead" religion full of "Pagans"!! Now the saddest part was I wasn't sure what "pagan" meant so I had to look it up . So he few days later after he gave me a KJV bible (and told me it was the ONLY bible I needed, and when I asked what makes that one the 'ONLY" bible, he says "cause I said it is".) and he AGAIN tells me that it is a "dead" religion and full of Pagans. So I ask him if he doesnt consider my mom a Christian, and he said "yes she is, but her religion isnt
Now my Dad had NO issues with my mom raisin me and my brother Catholic, and he never went to church durin my youth (altho he was raised in a Southern Baptist Church), but the only thing that I can see would give him these thoughts about our church would be his preacher and his church in general

And bein raised in the south around all the Southern Baptist, I can tell ya I have heard the statue worship and Mary worship my entire life!!
The remark about the KJV Bible tells me he is probably going to an INDEPENDENT fundamentalist Baptist church. If they are KJV only they have their toes in cult territory. I would suggest you read as much as you can on Catholic apologetics because I can guarentee YOU are thier "mission". Also, be aware any service you go to will be geared toward Catholicism (overt or covert) with the intention of getting you "saved".
I would avoid these people and do all you can to get your son away from that "church".
Old Apr 28, '12, 3:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Holy War 11 View Post
As a former hardcore southern Baptist I'll tell you what they believe.

They believe.........
-by faith alone you are saved (not so bad)
-you must be baptized by immersion (not really a big issue to me)
-they believe the Bible is the only source of info about Jesus etc. (not true)
-mainly just have a personal relationship with Christ
-the "rapture" with the invisible disappearance thing
-millenium
-singular one antiChrist

Some believe........
-the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon
-that you should wrestle snakes because God gave you authority
-the pope is the antiChrist

They are generally good people though
^^ this!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
The remark about the KJV Bible tells me he is probably going to an INDEPENDENT fundamentalist Baptist church. If they are KJV only they have their toes in cult territory. I would suggest you read as much as you can on Catholic apologetics because I can guarentee YOU are thier "mission". Also, be aware any service you go to will be geared toward Catholicism (overt or covert) with the intention of getting you "saved".
I would avoid these people and do all you can to get your son away from that "church".
wow JustaServant, u hit the nail on the head!!

my oldest son refuses to go when they ask em, my 13 yr old daughter just made her 1st communion and my 9 yr old daughter is goin to church with me!! as for the 19 yr old, I try and sit em down and "discuss", but unfortunately I have a lot of my dad in me and my son has a lot of me in him plus he has a girlfriend at that church and they have him "preaching" now. and the preachin thang is more of their "peer pressure" techniques. But I will let em do his thing and I can't blame anyone but myself!!
Old Apr 28, '12, 4:08 pm

It's not just in the south. When I was a kid, maybe 12 or so, one of my best friends was a Baptist and his pastor found out he was friends with a Catholic. He gave him some pamphlets to help bring his poor friend to Christianity. My favorite and only one I really remember had a drawing of the Vatican behind a worried looking guy and a title of "My name in the Vatican?" It was about how Catholics had a list of the names of all of the Christians (Baptists) and were going to eradicate them or something. Still, he is a great guy and we are friends to this day.
Old Apr 28, '12, 4:18 pm

On the Kleenex issue, we should focus on the fact that we all use Kleenex even if some don't see the obvious value of lotion and realize that even the Puffs users have much in common with us.
Old Apr 29, '12, 3:52 am

Quote:
^^ this!!

wow JustaServant, u hit the nail on the head!!

my oldest son refuses to go when they ask em, my 13 yr old daughter just made her 1st communion and my 9 yr old daughter is goin to church with me!! as for the 19 yr old, I try and sit em down and "discuss", but unfortunately I have a lot of my dad in me and my son has a lot of me in him plus he has a girlfriend at that church and they have him "preaching" now. and the preachin thang is more of their "peer pressure" techniques. But I will let em do his thing and I can't blame anyone but myself!!
"Dating ministry"? I'm not making that up. Its a common technique in these churches for girls to 'date' "unsaved" guys for the purpose of getting them "saved". I would guess the girl is a big pull. Emotion is a powerful thing, and I hope your son is not being played.
Old Apr 29, '12, 3:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat4 View Post
It's not just in the south. When I was a kid, maybe 12 or so, one of my best friends was a Baptist and his pastor found out he was friends with a Catholic. He gave him some pamphlets to help bring his poor friend to Christianity. My favorite and only one I really remember had a drawing of the Vatican behind a worried looking guy and a title of "My name in the Vatican?" It was about how Catholics had a list of the names of all of the Christians (Baptists) and were going to eradicate them or something. Still, he is a great guy and we are friends to this day.

Vatican to Deathstar...Vatican to Deathstar....come in Deathstar.
Old Apr 29, '12, 8:32 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

That bothers me when people say that Catholics "worship" Mary and other Saints because we have statues of them.

THIS IS UNTRUE!

We are simply doing what God commands us to do in His Fourth Commandment: Honor Your Father and Mother.

She is the Blessed Virgin, our Heavenly Mother, chosen by God Himself to bear the light of the world, Jesus, into this world for our salvation.

What greater gift than this?

Psalm 127:3
"Children too are a gift from the Lord, the fruit of the womb, a reward.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions