Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 25, '12, 1:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Does Asteroid Mining Violate Space Law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueCentrist View Post
My reading is that if some other company wanted to mine the same asteroid, Planetary Resources would have no legal recourse. They would have to allow the other company to also operate on their asteroid. I don't think its saying that we can't exploit resources in space, just that we can't claim some region in space as our own.
I think you misunderstood me, of course you can mine an asteroid. You are correct though, there are no property rights and some other company could mine the the asteroid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Of course, the English colonists in North America were in theory still subject to England as well, but that didn't work out.
Well, that's a distinct possibility, although we have to develop technology to survive in space first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblaidon View Post
Maybe the moon also should be free domain. If you are willing to colonize the moon or develop a station there, you should be able to do it freely as long as you are able to populate the station or use it on a regular basis.
The Moon is covered by the same Outer Space Treaty. No one can claim any part of the moon as their own territory.

Lord God, we ask you to bless and protect the Holy Catholic Church.
"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8
Old Apr 25, '12, 2:01 pm

Religion: Catholic

Given the enormous cost of space travel, entrepreneurs would need to locate an astreroid made of solid cocaine to make a profit from mining; Many South American governments would object to that. Still, a government that subsides obsolete solar cell technology and ethanol production from corn might be dumb enough to subsidize such a venture for someone with the right political connections.
Old Apr 25, '12, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomalley View Post
From Space Magazine:[indent][font="Georgia"]Several well-known billionaires are forming the new company Planetary Resources with plans to send a robotic spacecraft to mine precious metals from an asteroid and bring them back to Earth. Google executives Larry Page and Eric Schmidt and their business partners say the enterprise will "add trillions to the global GDP."
I'm pretty sure that while in theory these asteroids "belong" to everyone or their appointed representatives, in practice it will always work out that those with more money and power will always benefit the most.
Old Apr 25, '12, 3:47 pm

Religion: christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
As the article makes clear, international law is unclear regarding this topic. But limiting the exploitation of asteroids or other bodies in space isn't without earthly precedent.

The continent of Antarctica is protected from commercial exploitation and development by the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty. And national claims to sections of the land were suspended by the Antarctic Treaty of 1959 and related agreements.
I think the laws are what holds back space exploration. If we had this kind of nonsense in 1500, no one would have settled the new world. People moved and faced the dangers because they would be able to make money -- Spain sent thousands of expeditions in search of gold. No one went "just to see what is there" -- it was dangerous, dirty, and lonely work. Space is all that and then some. It costs millions to launch a man into space and if there's no profit to doing so, it's going to end up being a lark rather than a serious attempt to found colonies and mine resources. And larks are easily abandoned.
Old Apr 25, '12, 3:54 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimine View Post
I think the laws are what holds back space exploration. If we had this kind of nonsense in 1500, no one would have settled the new world. People moved and faced the dangers because they would be able to make money -- Spain sent thousands of expeditions in search of gold. No one went "just to see what is there" -- it was dangerous, dirty, and lonely work. Space is all that and then some. It costs millions to launch a man into space and if there's no profit to doing so, it's going to end up being a lark rather than a serious attempt to found colonies and mine resources. And larks are easily abandoned.
I agree. And even though the moon is a close enough celestial object to be considred a part of the earth, even the treaty prohibiting private ownership of any part of it could simply doom further moon exploration. What company would take the risk for no potential benefit?
Old Apr 25, '12, 7:01 pm
Banned

Religion: Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Given the enormous cost of space travel, entrepreneurs would need to locate an astreroid made of solid cocaine to make a profit from mining; Many South American governments would object to that. Still, a government that subsides obsolete solar cell technology and ethanol production from corn might be dumb enough to subsidize such a venture for someone with the right political connections.
Asteroids are made out of rare metals like platinum. There is incredible profit potential.
Old Apr 25, '12, 11:56 pm

You only possess what you can defend. Therefore, space materials are free game until some powerhouse sets up shop and enforces its territory. International law is largely a joke if it is not enforced.
Old Apr 26, '12, 5:16 am

Asteroids are the communal property of all Earthlings alright, but yet they could destroy us all. I'm all for neutralizing asteroid risk and making profit at the same.

The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News