Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Discerning the Priesthood

Discerning the Priesthood Click here to visit this social group

Old Dec 13, '11, 9:30 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default DEAD

Well, this is certainly a DEAD forum. I thought I might (at least attempt to) bring it back to life. How is everyone's discernment going?
Old Jan 11, '12, 2:57 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: DEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobballen_18 View Post
Well, this is certainly a DEAD forum. I thought I might (at least attempt to) bring it back to life. How is everyone's discernment going?
Slow & sometimes frustrating...My heart is ready to answer the call, but my situation will not allow it at this time. I pray every day for patience and understanding, and that other young men who are called, avoid hesitation and discern their vocation before taking on life.

Please visit my blog at: http://anewvocation.blogspot.com
Old Apr 23, '12, 11:01 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Default Re: reviving???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobballen_18 View Post
I know, eh? Well, my discernment is going well. I've just discovered the writings of St. Catherine of Siena! Quite inspiring. I've also just finished 1st theology.

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old Apr 24, '12, 5:38 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post
I know, eh? Well, my discernment is going well. I've just discovered the writings of St. Catherine of Siena! Quite inspiring. I've also just finished 1st theology.
Congratulations on completion of a step. Its one step closer to knowing your calling!

Please visit my blog at: http://anewvocation.blogspot.com
Old Apr 25, '12, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post
St. Catherine of Siena, eh? Interesting!

Anyway this forum is still dead...lol but congrats on finishing first theology!

I may as well respond to my own thread...haha.

When I posted this thread, I was 99% sure I was going to seminary this coming fall. Now, I am 100% sure I am not...although I still am 90+% sure that I need to give seminary a try. My vocations director, after a couple more interviews, apparently found some under-development in my personality, as he said I need to develop "a greater of circle of friendships to cope with the responsibilities of being a parish priest" or something like that, as well as getting a "more well-rounded life experience." - therefore, he came to the conclusion that he would not allow me to enter seminary this fall.

Now, I don't really agree with his assessment of me at all. However, I believe that it was God that closed that door for me, for a very good reason. Now, even though I am for sure going to complete my last two years of undergraduate studies here at my college like normal, and I even may be open to the possibility of dating, I am still of the mindset that I need to try seminary to discern in the best way possible. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if exactly two years from now, I'm applying again to seminary. This feeling is just so strong...................it's crazy...and amazing at the same time. That God might be calling me to be a priest.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to discern and try to totally be open to God's will for me. Despite the convictions I seem to have that God is calling me, I still have strong desires for marriage, family of my own, etc. So it's tough...I plan these next two years just to take things as they come. I know I'll eventually thank God for this journey he's taking me through right now. After all, it is slowly but surely leading me closer and closer to Him, which is the most important thing, really.

God bless everyone here and good luck with discernment!

"Our hearts were made for You, O Lord, and they are restless until they rest in you."
-St. Augustine of Hippo

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Discerning the Priesthood