Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 25, '12, 8:55 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default It's official!

Well, it's official....I'm a trained doula!

I'm working on completing my certification, which obviously requires attending births. Do any of you -- those who are doulas, or any of you who have had doulas for your labors and births -- have any suggestions for me?

I'm so excited to be able to help people and I'm itching to get going!
Old Apr 25, '12, 11:04 am

Default Re: It's official!

That's great! Congrats!

Old Apr 25, '12, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle10 View Post

I'm working on completing my certification, which obviously requires attending births. Do any of you -- those who are doulas, or any of you who have had doulas for your labors and births -- have any suggestions for me?

How did you do it? Do you have to be an LNA or an RN to do this?
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:23 pm

Religion: Catholic

Wonderful! I had two homebirths and doula's are such a blessing. I hope you enjoy your training.
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
No, a doula does not need to be a nurse (RN or LPN/LVN) nor does she even need to have nurse's aide training, although many L/D nurses and techs opt to go through doula training and certification since the natural approach to birth and providing support isn't a big part of OB nursing clinicals in college and definitely not included in surgical tech training. A doula doesn't do anything medical (okay, they aren't supposed to...). Here's a link for doula training/certification from one of more recognized organizations for doulas (the hospital system I worked in for years had "staff doulas" that were available for a patient if she didn't have the funds to hire one of her own and this is the organization that the staff doulas needed to have certification through:

http://www.dona.org/develop/certification.php

There are other agencies out there, but this is the one I'm familiar with (and am a past member)
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:47 pm

Nice! I'm actually working at a client in upstate NY, so IF next year this time I happen to be pregnant and IF this time next year I am almost due and IF this time next year I am still on the same client ... (that's a lot of IF's) I'll be sure to look you up.
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:54 pm

Quote:

Congrats and best wishes! Find the hospitals that are friendliest towards doulas when you are looking for births to attend. Generally the clients you will be attending to (in your training and otherwise) will be choosing facilities and practitioners that are open to doulas. The Childbirth Educators at your local hospitals may be able to put you in touch with clients that want a doula, but can't pay for one, so that will give you an opportunity to get some births in while you are working on certification requirements.
Old Apr 25, '12, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicmamajoy View Post
No, a doula does not need to be a nurse (RN or LPN/LVN) nor does she even need to have nurse's aide training, although many L/D nurses and techs opt to go through doula training and certification since the natural approach to birth and providing support isn't a big part of OB nursing clinicals in college and definitely not included in surgical tech training. A doula doesn't do anything medical (okay, they aren't supposed to...). Here's a link for doula training/certification from one of more recognized organizations for doulas (the hospital system I worked in for years had "staff doulas" that were available for a patient if she didn't have the funds to hire one of her own and this is the organization that the staff doulas needed to have certification through:

http://www.dona.org/develop/certification.php

There are other agencies out there, but this is the one I'm familiar with (and am a past member)
Thanks! Congratulations to you and best of luck with your first deliveries!

Old Apr 26, '12, 4:50 am

Congratulations! I bet you can't wait to get to work!
Old Apr 26, '12, 6:47 am

Congrats!!!
Old Apr 26, '12, 7:30 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
No, as one of the other posters explained, it's a separate, non-medical training. I'm doing my certification through DONA International.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaC View Post
Nice! I'm actually working at a client in upstate NY, so IF next year this time I happen to be pregnant and IF this time next year I am almost due and IF this time next year I am still on the same client ... (that's a lot of IF's) I'll be sure to look you up.
I'm not sure I understand -- you're a doula working with a client in upstate NY? Or you're moving to upstate NY? Either way I appreciate that you'll keep me in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicmamajoy View Post
Congrats and best wishes! Find the hospitals that are friendliest towards doulas when you are looking for births to attend. Generally the clients you will be attending to (in your training and otherwise) will be choosing facilities and practitioners that are open to doulas. The Childbirth Educators at your local hospitals may be able to put you in touch with clients that want a doula, but can't pay for one, so that will give you an opportunity to get some births in while you are working on certification requirements.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also thinking I'll go to some crisis pregnancy centers and give them my name. If I can help someone who needs it maybe it'll help them not have an abortion and that would be great!

There are two organizations of doulas in my area. They are all independent doulas, but the groups help market everyone even though they do not employ anyone. I've heard good and bad, so I'm not sure if I want to join, though it would help me get going. Lots to think about. I also have a good friend who is an L&D nurse, so she's been helpful too.
Old Apr 26, '12, 1:08 pm

Quote:
No, as one of the other posters explained, it's a separate, non-medical training. I'm doing my certification through DONA International.

I'm not sure I understand -- you're a doula working with a client in upstate NY? Or you're moving to upstate NY? Either way I appreciate that you'll keep me in mind!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also thinking I'll go to some crisis pregnancy centers and give them my name. If I can help someone who needs it maybe it'll help them not have an abortion and that would be great!

There are two organizations of doulas in my area. They are all independent doulas, but the groups help market everyone even though they do not employ anyone. I've heard good and bad, so I'm not sure if I want to join, though it would help me get going. Lots to think about. I also have a good friend who is an L&D nurse, so she's been helpful too.
Do you get a license from your state when you complete the course? I'm curious because I know doulas were all the rage just a few years after my sons were born. I had natural births but not at home - the first was in a "birth suite" that included a bathtub and freedom to do whatever I wanted to do until the baby started to come. I didn't have any time to doodle around when #2 came! 20 minutes after we got to the hospital, it was "Good Morning Sunshine!" LOL
Old Apr 26, '12, 1:09 pm

I hired a doula and it was an amazing experience. congratulations!

get ready for working lots of night shifts

Old Apr 26, '12, 3:35 pm

@Belle10 - what I meant was, simply, "I'm in the area."
Old Apr 26, '12, 5:03 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Do you get a license from your state when you complete the course? I'm curious because I know doulas were all the rage just a few years after my sons were born. I had natural births but not at home - the first was in a "birth suite" that included a bathtub and freedom to do whatever I wanted to do until the baby started to come. I didn't have any time to doodle around when #2 came! 20 minutes after we got to the hospital, it was "Good Morning Sunshine!" LOL
Sounds like my third -- one push and there she was!

No, the state doesn't license doulas. I'll have certification through DONA International. Since it's a non-medical position, the state doesn't get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
I hired a doula and it was an amazing experience. congratulations!

get ready for working lots of night shifts
Yeah I don't think I'll mind that, it's figuring out what to do with my kids when my DH is away for work that's going to be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaC View Post
@Belle10 - what I meant was, simply, "I'm in the area."
Got it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting