Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 16, '12, 7:32 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default The Effect of The Annunciation and Your Discipleship

Mary said, "Yes" to God at the Annunciation of the lord and throughout her life gave example and witness to what it means to be a true disciple.
---------
How have you embraced Mary's example of discipleship and how will her example encourage you in discipleship?

THANK YOU
Old Apr 17, '12, 4:59 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Effect of The Annunciation and Your Discipleship

Pope John Paul II wrote someplace that Mary's "Fiat" was not just "I accept"; She said "I want it." Her will was perfectly aligned with God's Will. Later, she didn't just endure the Crucifixion; she actively willed it.

Of late I am coming to realize more and more that, when I pray for something and it turns out otherwise, I am to be thankful. I then know that what I really wanted was that which I got; not that which I asked for. I am learning to pray thanks for the lessons and tests of the day which bring my will closer to God's Will.

Some sixty years ago a Passionist priest told us of an incident when he was in the seminary. At that time they got up at 2am to do one of the offices of the breviary. He overheard one of his classmates mumbling - "Fiat, dammit, Fiat" - as his stumbled down the stairs to the chapel. [I can identify with that. ]
Old Apr 17, '12, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
...Mary's "Fiat" was not just "I accept"; She said "I want it."
...Let it be done to me...

-Tim-
Old Apr 25, '12, 7:51 pm

Question Re: The Effect of The Annunciation and Your Discipleship

Quote:
Pope John Paul II wrote someplace that Mary's "Fiat" was not just "I accept"; She said "I want it." Her will was perfectly aligned with God's Will. Later, she didn't just endure the Crucifixion; she actively willed it.
It is incomprehensible to me that Mary could will the Crucifixion. So what is being said is that her will was so perfectly aligned with the will of the Father that she could will the Crucifxion because of what it would accomplish? It's still amazing. Does anyone know where John Paul II wrote this? Has anyone else written anything like this? I am trying to understand this.
Old Apr 25, '12, 8:11 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCTSgrad View Post
It is incomprehensible to me that Mary could will the Crucifixion. So what is being said is that her will was so perfectly aligned with the will of the Father that she could will the Crucifxion because of what it would accomplish? It's still amazing. Does anyone know where John Paul II wrote this? Has anyone else written anything like this? I am trying to understand this.
I read it someplace credible, but haven''t been able to find his words.
Old Apr 26, '12, 5:48 am

Quote:
I read it someplace credible, but haven''t been able to find his words.
I am not doubting that you read it, I was just hoping someone else might know where this statement is from.
Old Apr 27, '12, 1:17 am

Religion: catholic

Only God knows the secret of the soul. We can not know what any other soul experiences and we are all unique. Mary's uniqueness is primarily derived from her relationship with the Holy Trinity. She is daughter of the Father, Mother of the Son, and spouse of the Holy Spirit. She is God's masterpiece, His most perfect creation, not only without fault or sin, but perfect in all virtue also.

God Himself, contemplating the perfection of His own creation, this woman, is captivated by her beauty.

Although Mary is a creature, a finite being, human like us, we can not come close to knowing or understanding what the inner life was like of such a creature.

Those who have seen her in apparitions say she is so beautiful they would be willing to die just to see her again. They saw her outward appearance. Only God sees her soul.

She has many titles. They help us understand who she is. To God this woman is mother, daughter, spouse and His Queen. To the angels she is Queen of heaven, but she is not an angel. She is a woman. To us she is queen and mother.

Saint Therese says of her, she is more mother than queen. There then, with God we know the secret of her soul, all that is in her will, even though we can not see it. It is to love, only to love.

God so loved the world that He gave His only Son for us. He willed it, that Jesus would drink this cup.

So did Mary the poor widow so love us that she gave all she had for us, her only Son. She willed it.

God not only put Himself through the horror of Calvary for us. He put His mother, spouse and daughter through it for us.

When things happen to people they often say, "Why me"?

I understand God does what He does, because He loves us who do evil, but I don't understand why. He sees what goes on all over the world, all the abortions, depravity in politics, the avarice and selfishness, and He loves us.

He can not reject the intercessory prayers of our Mother and Queen, but why does she love us?
Old Apr 27, '12, 1:45 pm
Book Club Member

I see Mary as the First Disciple. I see how she lives her life for others. I watch how she accepts the Will of God and ponders all things in her heart. Mary lives her vocation of wife and mother joyfully. She does not seek after riches, power, or notoriety. She shows me how to live as a daughter of the Father. She teaches me about her Motherhood which extends beyond her son, Jesus, to all of us. Her spousal relationship with the Holy Spirit helps me to contemplate my own relationship and union with the Spirit. I disciple Jesus through Mary.
Old Oct 28, '13, 10:23 pm

Mary's response to the visit of the angel is an excellent example for people of God. I don't fully understand what God is doing with my life, but I trust God and embrace the divine will. After a fashion, after all. I am only human and seek strength and inspiration from the example of Jesus in the garden. Though I would prefer that God let the cup pass untasted, I accept that sometimes God intends for me to drink it. And I hold my nose.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Catholic Answers Magazine (formerly This Rock)