Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Praying for our Future Spouse

Praying for our Future Spouse Click here to visit this social group

Old Dec 27, '11, 5:42 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to trinichiqn
Default Re: Ways of praying for your future spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekNFind View Post
I've found a lot of Novenas for praying for a spouse but is it okay to say them all or should I do them at different times (ie start with one prayer for 9 days, wait, then do another)? Sorry if it's a silly questions but I'm new to praying novenas. Thanks!
Seek, this is my own thoughts but I don't think it is wrong. I think of it like storming heaven with prayers for your intentions. Think about it this way if you asked your friend John to pray for you does that mean you can't ask your friend Olivia to pray for you at the same time. Novenas are like asking various people (Saints) to pray for you.

Everything is possible to one who has faith.

I am wonderful because God loves me

How Much Is My Life Worth? A Lot Jesus Died To Save It
Old Dec 27, '11, 12:13 pm
Registering
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinichiqn View Post
Seek, this is my own thoughts but I don't think it is wrong. I think of it like storming heaven with prayers for your intentions. Think about it this way if you asked your friend John to pray for you does that mean you can't ask your friend Olivia to pray for you at the same time. Novenas are like asking various people (Saints) to pray for you.
Thanks for your response. I said them all last night. I'm about to say them again now. I hope these help. Here's what I'm doing: I start with the sign of the cross, then The Our Father, the novenas, the Glory Be to the Father, and finally end with the sign of the cross.

I should add that I'm a Protestant in RCIA so praying for the intercession of saints is very new for me. Although, when I was in trouble earlier in the year (before I even thought again about doing RCIA), I prayed for St. Michael to help me and God granted my request.

Last edited by SeekNFind; Dec 27, '11 at 12:24 pm.
Old Dec 28, '11, 9:33 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I said them all last night. I'm about to say them again now. I hope these help. Here's what I'm doing: I start with the sign of the cross, then The Our Father, the novenas, the Glory Be to the Father, and finally end with the sign of the cross.

I should add that I'm a Protestant in RCIA so praying for the intercession of saints is very new for me. Although, when I was in trouble earlier in the year (before I even thought again about doing RCIA), I prayed for St. Michael to help me and God granted my request.
I can relate, I was a Catholic that didn't really address the saints much, preferred austere church interiors and so on. It changed at some point, and for the better. On the other, it's always good to remember who the saints actually are and understand the proper context of intercession, as opposed to mixing things up and regarding them close to minor deities. I've prayed for St. Michael's intercession on occasions, too.
Old Dec 29, '11, 7:13 am
Registering
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier View Post
I can relate, I was a Catholic that didn't really address the saints much, preferred austere church interiors and so on. It changed at some point, and for the better. On the other, it's always good to remember who the saints actually are and understand the proper context of intercession, as opposed to mixing things up and regarding them close to minor deities. I've prayed for St. Michael's intercession on occasions, too.
Now when I talk to/pray to the saints and angels, I imagine them bowing before God and asking Him to grant my request. It's been a powerful visual for me. At this point in my journey and desire for marriage, I feel like I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'm willing to admit that there are powers and forces in the spiritual realm (ie saints and angels) that I won't ever fully understand but that doesn't mean they can't help me.

God bless EVERYONE who earnestly seeks their future spouse!
Old Jan 8, '12, 12:29 pm
Registering
Prayer Warrior

I've decided to focus on one novena at a time in addition to praying the 54 day rosary with the rest of the group. Today, I felt dram to Philomena so I'll pray the novena to her for the next 9 days. I also found a litany for Philomena. Can I pray a litany alone or is it meant for at least two people (since there's responses)?
Old Jan 8, '12, 4:04 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
I've decided to focus on one novena at a time in addition to praying the 54 day rosary with the rest of the group. Today, I felt dram to Philomena so I'll pray the novena to her for the next 9 days. I also found a litany for Philomena. Can I pray a litany alone or is it meant for at least two people (since there's responses)?
As far as I know you can pray a litany on your own, I know I certainly do

Old Jan 8, '12, 8:30 pm
Registering
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinichiqn View Post
As far as I know you can pray a litany on your own, I know I certainly do
Thank you.
Old Jan 13, '12, 10:33 am

How's it going with the novena SeekNFind? I've joined the group with the daily rosary for January. I pray it during my drive to work. ..."pray without ceasing"...I believe, 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
Amen to that!

Old Jan 13, '12, 9:09 pm
Registering
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
How's it going with the novena SeekNFind? I've joined the group with the daily rosary for January. I pray it during my drive to work. ..."pray without ceasing"...I believe, 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
Amen to that!

Hi pomegranate! The novenas are going ok. . .I'm doing the Rosary novena with everyone and saying one to St. Philomena. I dunno but I guess I'm not used to asking saints for intercession so I don't necessarily feel anything as I'm saying them. With the rosary, I'm reflecting on the mysteries so it's different. I wonder if my lack of faith will hinder me getting results But I'm pushing forward because I know that I don't understand everything in the spiritual realm and praying for a bit of God's grace. How about you?
Old Feb 1, '12, 12:57 pm

Hey SeekNFind, although I also meditate on the mysteries when I pray my daily rosary, I follow the Medjugorje.org prayers before/after the rosary---so, I basically mention my intentions at the beginning prayers and then I continue with the rosary.

With regards to requesting the intercession of saints, I have several favorite saints, and I'll sporadically pray novenas. At one point, I'd ask for the same intention for most of these Saints---was getting the feeling I was 'bugging them'.
I had an opportunity to go to mass yesterday morning and the homily really hit me--as Padre Pio says: Pray, hope, and don't worry! So. Pray, pray, pray is the message I got.

I failed to mention to you sooner, sorry for not being able to make it to last Saturday's call. I was running around town trying to get my car fixed before the weekend was over---I need my car for work weekdays. Hope it went well, though.
Old Apr 27, '12, 7:39 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hello all!
I just wanted to share a little prayer that my priest told me to pray for my husband but it would work well for any man praying for his wife as well.

"Loving Father in Heaven, please send me the right person, and a loving awareness to know him (may substitute her) when I meet him (may substitute her). Amen."

Also I have run across a courtship prayer to our Holy Mother.

"Remember, O most blessed Mother, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, unworthy as I am of thy protection, in the presence of God the Father, the Author of Life, of God the Son, Who gave marriage the dignity of a sacrament, of God thy Holy Ghost, Who sanctified marital love, I entrust my courtship to thy motherly protection.
Guide me in the choice of a partner. Keep my courtship pure and chaste. Bless our union with a holy love. Watch over us from Heaven. Send us grace to live in the favor of God and to share in the eternal love in which we shall be united forever in Heaven." Amen"

And also two to St. Raphael the Arch Angel.

O Raphael, lead us towards those we are waiting for, those who are waiting for us! Raphael, Angel of Happy Meetings and Catholic singles, lead us by the hand towards those we are looking for! May all our movements, all their movements, be guided by your Light and transfigured by your Joy. Angel Guide of Tobias, lay the request we now address to you at the feet of Him on whose unveiled Face you are privileged to gaze. Lonely and tired, crushed by the separations and sorrows of earth, we feel the need of calling to you and of pleading for the protection of your wings, so that we may not be as strangers in the Province of Joy, all ignorant of the concerns of our country. Remember the weak, you who are strong--you whose home lies beyond the region of thunder, in a land that is always peaceful, always serene, and bright with the resplendent glory of God. Amen.

And this one could be use as a novena:

St. Raphael, you were sent by God to guide young Tobiah in choosing a good and virtuous spouse. Please help me in this important choice which will affect my whole future. You not only directed Tobiah in finding a wife, but you also gave him guidelines which should be foremost in every Christian marriage: "Pray together before making important decisions." If through prayer we keep God as the "third Partner" in our marriage, we will have the strength and grace we need to always accept and do His will. Amen.
Pray 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, 1 Glory be...

Praying for all of you and your spouses!

Teresa
Old Sep 7, '12, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediHockey View Post
I pray 3 Hail Mary's before going to bed for her purity
I like this idea
Old Nov 11, '12, 11:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Red face Re: Ways of praying for your future spouse

I'm late to the conversation, so this may be an inactive thread by now.
My future spouse is among my intentions at every Rosary and Mass. (And if marriage is not part of God's plan for me, He'll know what to do with my prayers!)

I haven't been praying specific novenas for that intention lately, but I wanted to mention ways in which I pray for my future spouse at odd times because of seemingly trivial reasons:
When I'm feeling sorry for myself because of someone's tactless comment, or I feel lonely because I see couples and families together, I'll take a deep breath, remind myself that I'm not alone, and ask my patron saints and guardian angel to join me in praying for him. When I'm sick or have a headache, I'll pray for his health and strength. When I'm putting away leftovers because I cooked too much (again!), I pray that he's eating well. Sometimes it even comes into my head to pray for his parents, my future in-laws!
And, at times like these, when I'm having trouble at work, I pray that his work is going well: I add the worker's prayer to St. Joseph for both of us.

Anyway, God bless him, whoever he is. And for now, I have my own work in front of me . . .
Old Nov 12, '12, 7:23 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaR View Post
I'm late to the conversation, so this may be an inactive thread by now.
My future spouse is among my intentions at every Rosary and Mass. (And if marriage is not part of God's plan for me, He'll know what to do with my prayers!)

I haven't been praying specific novenas for that intention lately, but I wanted to mention ways in which I pray for my future spouse at odd times because of seemingly trivial reasons:
When I'm feeling sorry for myself because of someone's tactless comment, or I feel lonely because I see couples and families together, I'll take a deep breath, remind myself that I'm not alone, and ask my patron saints and guardian angel to join me in praying for him. When I'm sick or have a headache, I'll pray for his health and strength. When I'm putting away leftovers because I cooked too much (again!), I pray that he's eating well. Sometimes it even comes into my head to pray for his parents, my future in-laws!
And, at times like these, when I'm having trouble at work, I pray that his work is going well: I add the worker's prayer to St. Joseph for both of us.

Anyway, God bless him, whoever he is. And for now, I have my own work in front of me . . .
This thread is never really inactive and can be posted to at anytime. I love your ways of praying for your future husband. I do pray for his day and his health but I have never thought to pray for his parents. I love how different aspects of your day cause you to pray for him. I am trying to live intentionally and purposefully, these are perfect opportunities for that. Thank you for sharing, I will definitely be using some of these.

Old Nov 17, '12, 2:07 am

Hi,
I am Julia from Ireland. I love what you said about asking his angel to bring him to you. I will definitely use that.
God Bless

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Praying for our Future Spouse