Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 26, '12, 8:36 pm

Religion: In Discernment
Default RCIA while moving frequently?

I apologize if this message is in the wrong place and for the length.

I am the unbaptized child of two lapsed Catholics and am engaged to marry my wonderful Catholic fiancé in December. I have spent the last few years in a journey closer to Christ and am finally feeling ready for RCIA and preparation to become Catholic myself, after much reading, prayer, and attending Mass regularly with my fiancé. He and I had a beautiful relationship earlier, but as we’ve focused our relationship on Christ, it is so much more powerful, has even furthered my discernment of my vocation, and increased my hunger for the Lord. Unfortunately, this is not a very good time for me to enter into a long term commitment to RCIA. I will be starting my last semester of college in August (located in one Diocese), moving home (in a second Diocese) in December to be with my parents and get married, and then waiting on my fiancé (who will be in military training) to receive orders to move to someplace (in a third Diocese) where I can accompany him, which should be before Easter.

At this point I no longer want to wait. I truly desire the Sacraments, and especially the Eucharist. At the same time, I’m concerned that my situation will make RCIA extremely impractical, involving at 3 churches in 3 Dioceses, and I’m not sure how easy it would be to move around throughout the process. I feel terrible like I’m making excuses to not go (I did in the past, when I should’ve just admitted I wasn’t ready, and my Faith wasn’t as strong).

Is there anyone here who has dealt with similar situations? How hard would it be to navigate switching to RCIA classes in different places? Should I just attend in the different locations to learn and grow closer to God and His Church, but not expect to be received into the Church next Easter?

Any advice, input, or prayers would be appreciated.
Old Apr 26, '12, 10:46 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA while moving frequently?

There is no systematic way that different parishes use to implement RCIA, each parish can be totally different. So trying to match up three different partial programs to make one complete RCIA program would not work. I suggest that you wait till you are settled down in one place for awhile and then inquire at the local parish that you plan on attending. I think your RCIA experience would be much more fruitful (and un-rushed).
Old Apr 27, '12, 12:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaworm View Post
I apologize if this message is in the wrong place and for the length.

I am the unbaptized child of two lapsed Catholics and am engaged to marry my wonderful Catholic fiancé in December. I have spent the last few years in a journey closer to Christ and am finally feeling ready for RCIA and preparation to become Catholic myself, after much reading, prayer, and attending Mass regularly with my fiancé. He and I had a beautiful relationship earlier, but as we’ve focused our relationship on Christ, it is so much more powerful, has even furthered my discernment of my vocation, and increased my hunger for the Lord. Unfortunately, this is not a very good time for me to enter into a long term commitment to RCIA. I will be starting my last semester of college in August (located in one Diocese), moving home (in a second Diocese) in December to be with my parents and get married, and then waiting on my fiancé (who will be in military training) to receive orders to move to someplace (in a third Diocese) where I can accompany him, which should be before Easter.

At this point I no longer want to wait. I truly desire the Sacraments, and especially the Eucharist. At the same time, I’m concerned that my situation will make RCIA extremely impractical, involving at 3 churches in 3 Dioceses, and I’m not sure how easy it would be to move around throughout the process. I feel terrible like I’m making excuses to not go (I did in the past, when I should’ve just admitted I wasn’t ready, and my Faith wasn’t as strong).

Is there anyone here who has dealt with similar situations? How hard would it be to navigate switching to RCIA classes in different places? Should I just attend in the different locations to learn and grow closer to God and His Church, but not expect to be received into the Church next Easter?

Any advice, input, or prayers would be appreciated.
I wonder, is there any place you are going to be spending a few months there before you move on? Like do you have 2-3 months with your parents? If that is that case you might present your case to the priest and ask him if you can do a 1 on 1 accelerated study or personal study of Catholic faith with a test to be administered by him at the end before you move. He can then write you a letter stating that you have satisfactorially completed the course and should be eligable for Confirmation and the sacraments which you take to the next Parish/ Diocese for confirmation and review. Or he can say you need more understanding in these areas and is what you take to the next priest to help you focus on. Maybe this would work but I don't really know. It is worth a shot though if you truly feel like you are being called.
Old Apr 27, '12, 11:20 am

Religion: In Discernment

Thank you for the advice I thought it would probably be very difficult to complete a program in that manner. It's difficult to hear, but it's probably going to be best to wait til next year when we'll be at a permanent station, and I can immerse myself better in one program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK100
I wonder, is there any place you are going to be spending a few months there before you move on? Like do you have 2-3 months with your parents? If that is that case you might present your case to the priest and ask him if you can do a 1 on 1 accelerated study or personal study of Catholic faith with a test to be administered by him at the end before you move. He can then write you a letter stating that you have satisfactorially completed the course and should be eligable for Confirmation and the sacraments which you take to the next Parish/ Diocese for confirmation and review. Or he can say you need more understanding in these areas and is what you take to the next priest to help you focus on. Maybe this would work but I don't really know. It is worth a shot though if you truly feel like you are being called.
I won't know how long I'm staying home with my parents until at least mid-June, but likely not til sometime in October/November unfortunately. Just one of the burdens of starting out in the military life. This is an interesting idea though, and I will check into it, I know that accommodations are made for different preparation for other sacraments in extenuating circumstances, though I'm not sure whether this would qualify. I do truly feel called, and it's difficult to know that life isn't matching up with that. Thank you again.
Old Apr 27, '12, 4:25 pm

RCIA is not only about joining the Church Universal it is about joining a particular Catholic community - hence no 'RCIA online" programs. So I would recommend waiting until you are finally settled and ready to join your final parish.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization