Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 27, '12, 9:03 am
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is this the most anti-male comment in the media for 2012 so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLight View Post
I don't agree with her statement but I don't think its sexist. I think that she has a pessimistic view of human nature. That the well being of one sex cannot be trusted with the other.
I don't see any indication in Quinn's writing that she believes the same would be true in the reverse, i.e. that a group of females could not possibly treat a group of males justly. Do you have an example from her in mind?
Old Apr 28, '12, 2:44 am

Religion: Beaten-up Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEddie View Post
Bad comparison, as fleas and Mosquitos can both carry fatal microbes.

ICXC NIKA
That`s why i said "a healthy person", to at least try to cover that possibility. After all, some spiritually unhealthy folks have been stricken with severe illnesses from that quarter.
The other thing is: i couldn`t think of anything more contemptible than a flea or a mosquito.
That`s what i think of the outlook of those types.

Any more apt suggestions for next time? Keep in mind that they also have to cause irritation!

Last edited by Fiasco; Apr 28, '12 at 2:59 am.
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
The radical feminists aren`t above it, though. They hate us men, but they want to be like us. And they have a lust for power.
They are like men in that they lust for power, yes.

They are not like men in the sense that they are systematically denied power within the Church due to their gender.
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:22 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: off-the-record "discerning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEddie View Post
I'd say the statement has more to do with anti-celibacy and anti-Church than anti-male, per se.
Yes, I agree with this interpretation...as per several other posters, here.
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:32 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: off-the-record "discerning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
The radical feminists aren`t above it, though. They hate us men, but they want to be like us. And they have a lust for power.

Feminists don't hate all men.
They dislike dumb men in charge who make decisions out of fear and selfishness that prevent women from living to their rightful, God-given potential.

And believe me--they do not want to be like you...not in a zillion years.

Hey...if we call women who have a lust for power "radical feminists"...what's the name we call men who have a lust for power?
Is there derogatory word for men, too, who feel and do the exact same thing?
Masculinist?

Nah. I think the word is...Ambitious! Assertive!
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
Hey...if we call women who have a lust for power "radical feminists"...what's the name we call men who have a lust for power?
Masculinist?

Yep, pretty much.
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
"That those in charge of the Catholic Church are all celibate men already eliminates the possibility of justice."
Sally Quinn, Washington post, 4/24/12, commenting on the forthcoming doctrinal assessment of the LCWR.

She's pretty much saying that if you are a male who's not sexually active, you can't treat a woman justly.

Not having read the thousands of anti-male statements made so far this year, I would still have to say that it's going to take a lot to top this one.

I don't hear feminists saying that the nuns who were sanctioned are incapable of making just decicions because those in charge are a group of celibate women. It is assumed by so many feminists that men are evil, unless they can prove themselves good on a case-by-case basis. The fact that the priests aren't sexually active makes them all the more suspect, but that's window dressing for her, really. The route cause of this supposed essential injustice is their maleness.

The writer didn't say that a goup of celibate people can't make just decisions. She said "That those in charge of the Catholic Church are all celibate men already eliminates the possibility of justice." It's clear that she's saying that any group of celibate men are, by nature, incapable of being just. She doesn't know exactly which men will be making decisions. The problem isn't with any particular man or group of known men. The problem is simply with men.

Yes. That was a very anti-male statement. That the statement was also anti-Catholic hierarchy is only evidence of a very efficient day at the keyboard for the author -- 2 birds with one stone and all.
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalt View Post
Not having read the thousands of anti-male statements made so far this year, I would still have to say that it's going to take a lot to top this one.

I don't hear feminists saying that the nuns who were sanctioned are incapable of making just decicions because those in charge are a group of celibate women. It is assumed by so many feminists that men are evil, unless they can prove themselves good on a case-by-case basis. The fact that the priests aren't sexually active makes them all the more suspect, but that's window dressing for her, really. The route cause of this supposed essential injustice is their maleness.

The writer didn't say that a goup of celibate people can't make just decisions. She said "That those in charge of the Catholic Church are all celibate men already eliminates the possibility of justice." It's clear that she's saying that any group of celibate men are, by nature, incapable of being just.
Just as the Church is saying that ALL women are "by nature" incapable of being leaders.

One good turn deserves another, it seems.
Old Apr 30, '12, 6:32 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
They dislike dumb men in charge who make decisions out of fear and selfishness that prevent women from living to their rightful, God-given potential.

Masculinist?

nope, we call em jerks, power hungry, controlling, having a "god complex" and an array of other things. usually people who call them "ambitious, assertive" are of the same ilk.
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea View Post
Just as the Church is saying that ALL women are "by nature" incapable of being leaders.

Is that what the Church says? That women are incapable of being leaders? You'll have to provide a link to that particular doctrine.

Too late to edit, but root not route.
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalt View Post
Is that what the Church says? That women are incapable of being leaders? You'll have to provide a link to that particular doctrine.

Too late to edit, but root not route.
I'm not sure how they phrase it as a rule, but if you hear of a woman running a parish or a diocese or becoming Pope, definitely let me know about that.

As far as I'm aware, they are not allowed lead due to one crucial flaw: they are female.
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:30 am

Quote:
I'm not sure how they phrase it as a rule, but if you hear of a woman running a parish or a diocese or becoming Pope, definitely let me know about that.

As far as I'm aware, they are not allowed lead due to one crucial flaw: they are female.

You'll have to provide the facts on that. You're making a statement and are even saying what you think the reason/motive is, but you haven't shown that the Church says that women can't be leaders in the first place,

I know that the Church doesn't have female priests, but does the Church really say that women can't be, "aren't capable of being", leaders?
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:42 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

There are plenty of women running parishes.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Apr 30, '12, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scott View Post
"What this says is that the Catholic hierarchy is on a suicidal mission and beginning to disintegrate."

Is that why every "progressive" and "open" community, such as the Episcopalians, are falling apart before our eyes? And is that why the Catholic Church is receiving record number of seminarians in many parts of the world in 40+ years?

I don't think so.
Some fools believe that they can merely state that something is happening, and that by doing so, they sow the seed that will make it become true and happen.

How fortunate for the rest of the world that it simply doesn't work that way!
Old May 1, '12, 1:58 am

Religion: Beaten-up Catholic

Quote:
They are like men in that they lust for power, yes.
Explain it that way to Dame Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, Mrs Gandhi, Boadicea and other women who have been great leaders. i don`t think they`d like your choice of words. They got to their positions through MERIT, not by throwing tantrums like spoilt brats!

Quote:
They are not like men in the sense that they are systematically denied power within the Church due to their gender.
i know!!! It`s disgusting, isn`t it, how that nasty, celibate male-dominated Vatican refuses to "ordain" women and empower them in other ways that the radical feminists have demanded! Just ask Our Lady: she`ll tell you.

Quote:
Such as?
Quote:
Phew!!! That`s a relief!!! (Wipes brow in gratitude.)
The only question, then, is: As most of them don`t want to be like women, certainly not like feminine women anyway, who or what DO they want to be like?
i`m afraid of the answer!
Quote:

"[W]omen are `by their nature` incapable of being" "PRIESTESSES". PERIOD!
Quote:
On that day, the Catholic Church will cease to exist. Thankfully, we have Our Lord`s Word that that won`t happen, Sr Joan Chittister or any other like-minded individual notwithstanding.
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, they are not allowed lead due to one crucial flaw:
they are female.
Don`t use the word "flaw" in front of a happily married wife and mother. There are some, you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMike View Post
Some fools believe that they can merely state that something is happening, and that by doing so, they sow the seed that will make it become true and happen.

How fortunate for the rest of the world that it simply doesn't work that way!
Amen! And long after their "scholarly" er......writings have turned to dust and been blown away by the wind, the Church founded on the Rock will be here.
The problem with viral outbreaks like this one is that you tell the same lie often enough, and some gullible folks will fall for it.

Last edited by Fiasco; May 1, '12 at 2:09 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence