Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > The Rosary Group

The Rosary Group Click here to visit this social group

Old Dec 9, '11, 6:37 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Question You or Thee?

Our parish prays the beautiful Rosary before all Masses. A few new leaders have excellent voices and pray distinctly. A concern is their usage of "You" instead of "Thee" while leading the Hail Mary. Thoughts?
Old Dec 9, '11, 8:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Default Re: You or Thee?

Our Contemporary Choir sang that at the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. I cringed (as I often do with the contemporary choir ) because I'm a Thee kind of guy all the way.

But that's just me.

Pax†

'Ad Jesu Per Mariam' - 'to Jesus through Mary'.
Old Dec 9, '11, 8:20 pm

I prefer "thee", but in modern English "you" in the Hail Mary is not bad grammar or disrespectful. I'd go with whatever the group is doing while praying the Rosary in a group, and pray it with the "thee" and "thou" and "thy" in private if you prefer it.

Now if they were using a more modern version of the Lord's Prayer I would say that's not a good idea. We all know the old version so well and it has been incorporated into the modern liturgy as is, with all the Tudor language. I think it would be a bad idea, distracting from prayer, if they used a different version for a group Rosary.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Mar 15, '12, 7:25 am
Prayer Warrior

I'm a "thee" guy as well but in my children's religious education class they taught the Hail Mary with "you" so I pray it that way with my children. I did tell them that "thee" and "you" are the same, so when a thee slips out, my kids understand what I'm saying somewhat.

In adult groups, I just go with "thee"

I believe one of God's most under-appreciated gifts to us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Old Apr 13, '12, 4:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscastro View Post
I'm a "thee" guy as well but in my children's religious education class they taught the Hail Mary with "you" so I pray it that way with my children. I did tell them that "thee" and "you" are the same, so when a thee slips out, my kids understand what I'm saying somewhat.

In adult groups, I just go with "thee"
I also use the words "thee" and "thou" with my prayer although like your children ny grand daughter sometimes uses "you".

I think that the use of "you" gets very confusing for other kids because they tend to mix their "you" and "thou" together.

God Bless

Maria Aurea
Old Apr 13, '12, 6:10 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I find it unbelievable that someone saw it necessary to change the wording, and start instructing the young parishioners to not use "thee" and "thou" in the first place. Not only does this cause great confusion in group prayer, it makes it much more difficult on RE teachers. Just another needless secular/liberal infiltration on our beautiful faith. I stand firm on tradition.
Old Apr 27, '12, 2:03 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Faithful to Pope Francis~ Roman Catholic

Yes I was very annoyed to see at my Parish they say you instead of the traditional way. It annoyed me that they did it for the Our Father too .
I don't like it at all , it's like , are they in a way protesting to the traditional way to say it. I'm almost tempted to say something

"O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee"

Where to send your petitions -
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=451946
Old Apr 27, '12, 4:43 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRATEFULONEjim View Post
I find it unbelievable that someone saw it necessary to change the wording, and start instructing the young parishioners to not use "thee" and "thou" in the first place. Not only does this cause great confusion in group prayer, it makes it much more difficult on RE teachers. Just another needless secular/liberal infiltration on our beautiful faith. I stand firm on tradition.
I am a thee and thou man , and im not changing

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Apr 28, '12, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bademus View Post
Our parish prays the beautiful Rosary before all Masses. A few new leaders have excellent voices and pray distinctly. A concern is their usage of "You" instead of "Thee" while leading the Hail Mary. Thoughts?
I also lead the rosary from time to time before mass but I always use "thee" and "thou" in praying the Hail Mary. I still like the traditional way of saying this prayer.

God Bless
Maria Aurea

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > The Rosary Group