Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 28, '12, 12:51 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: The Priest Scandal of 2000/ Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjovie View Post
So far the replies have been interesting, but I don't think the question posed by the OP has been really answered. A fiend of mine who isn't catholic is asking the same thing and none of these replies will serve as satisfactory answers. Why is everything about it hushed up? I am in West Africa, mind you, so we don't know exactly what happened. That didn't stop the rumours spreading though, and he thinks that the fact that the priests know better about the scandal and are not saying anything shows they are trying to hide the truth: The Church is a fraud. The Church cannot have such scandals if it is really protected from error, and priests should be allowed to marry, he says.
You could explain how a problem which mostly occurred in the US (and I think Ireland) has little relevance in West Africa. By the way, my family is also from West Africa (we're Cameroonians). Where are you from?

You could also explain the steps the Church took towards making it so that such abuses could not occur again. They are almost a bit too strict, as we are finding it almost impossible for our small parish to set up any kind of youth program. There must be at least two adults at any function involving children, and one adult per 8 at any function in the church. A priest is not allowed to be alone with children at any time, etc. The average Catholic doesn't know about these reforms either. I don't think it's purposeful lack of proclaiming it, but lack of looking for information that is readily available. You must also realize that children are present at church every Sunday, and it would be rather inappropriate to discuss it in front of them. I suppose since it was not a large number of priests who did it, and because the news was so active in spreading it everywhere, it wasn't really stressed, seeing as one doesn't really try to overstress any tragedy.
Old May 3, '12, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by john78 View Post
Why keep silent about a very big problem within the Church, and not on another ?

I guess I run the risk of being kicked out of the Catholic Church because if it was me I cant play games like that, I do understand the seperation between church and state, and that the Church does not preach politics from the pulpit that is not what i am talking about, I am talking about scandalous issues with in the Church.

So does anyone know of any material on subjects like this, on what to do or what has happened when a Priest has had to speak up about something that was immorally wrong or unjust or illegal ?
This question seems to address some of the internal politics of the Church. Some issues are given greater attention by the bishops than others, and we are called/expected to follow and support the bishops' lead. This is not to say that we cannot speak up on other issues that should be addressed, but the preference is that we focus our efforts to the causes of the bishops.

I suggest keeping an eye on what happens with LCWR. These women tend to speak out on health care and human trafficking, and are being called to task by the bishops for not speaking out more boldly on issues that the bishops have emphasized (e.g. abortion). This might answer your question in time. Meanwhile, I refer you to St. Francis of Assisi: he so passionately spoke out against corruption in the Church that there was talk of excommunication; yet, when the pope had a chance to meet Fracnis and talk to him, they worked things out and Francis came away with the pope's blessing.
Old May 4, '12, 7:26 am

Religion: Roman catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNdoum View Post
You could explain how a problem which mostly occurred in the US (and I think Ireland) has little relevance in West Africa. By the way, my family is also from West Africa (we're Cameroonians). Where are you from?

You could also explain the steps the Church took towards making it so that such abuses could not occur again. They are almost a bit too strict, as we are finding it almost impossible for our small parish to set up any kind of youth program. There must be at least two adults at any function involving children, and one adult per 8 at any function in the church. A priest is not allowed to be alone with children at any time, etc. The average Catholic doesn't know about these reforms either. I don't think it's purposeful lack of proclaiming it, but lack of looking for information that is readily available. You must also realize that children are present at church every Sunday, and it would be rather inappropriate to discuss it in front of them. I suppose since it was not a large number of priests who did it, and because the news was so active in spreading it everywhere, it wasn't really stressed, seeing as one doesn't really try to overstress any tragedy.
Thank you. I didn't know that. I will tell him, but after my last response where I explained that I didn't think it was necessary to "overstress any tragedy" and added an article, he has not responded. I am from Nigeria. Good to know you are from my side of the world. You (Camerounians) speak french right?

With love.

Busybee
Old May 6, '12, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjovie View Post
You (Camerounians) speak French right?
Yes, we do. There are English-speakers as well, though, and others speak indigenous languages. My family is one of francophones.
Old May 8, '12, 9:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGracie View Post
This question seems to address some of the internal politics of the Church. Some issues are given greater attention by the bishops than others, and we are called/expected to follow and support the bishops' lead. This is not to say that we cannot speak up on other issues that should be addressed, but the preference is that we focus our efforts to the causes of the bishops.

I suggest keeping an eye on what happens with LCWR. These women tend to speak out on health care and human trafficking, and are being called to task by the bishops for not speaking out more boldly on issues that the bishops have emphasized (e.g. abortion). This might answer your question in time. Meanwhile, I refer you to St. Francis of Assisi: he so passionately spoke out against corruption in the Church that there was talk of excommunication; yet, when the pope had a chance to meet Fracnis and talk to him, they worked things out and Francis came away with the pope's blessing.
thank you silvergracie i think this is the best answer thus far, and everyone has had very interesting input, and very interesting about St. Francis of Assisi, i need to research ,more on him.
Old May 8, '12, 10:26 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by john78 View Post
Why keep silent about a very big problem within the Church, and not on another ?
We heard about it. Our diocese even had a program to address prevention. There was the John Jay report. I think by 2000 the Church was addressing the issue.

Yes, it is addressed a lot differently than contraception because the problem is different. Child abuse required a solution first and foremost to stop it, or make it as scarce as hen's teeth. The current issue is a polical quandry that the Church is being placed in of possibly having to violate an immoral law. There is no question that laws against child abuse are moral.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice