Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 28, '12, 8:43 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can music be demonic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domandcarols View Post
That's not what I'd call music..
Well, if you listen all the way to the middle, the noise stops and there's an extremely pretty choral section!

As noisy and unpleasant as it sounds, as a musician I can say that it does require a lot of talent to execute. The timing is insanely complex. And the guy screaming his lungs out is actually a very talented singer. He's even done some Italian opera. He's most well known as the lead singer of the 90's metal band Faith No More, though.

"While truth is unchanging, it changes those who encounter it." - Fr. Cedric Pisegna
Old Apr 28, '12, 8:55 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNdoum View Post
The second one sounded like someone having some sort of attack. Oddly enough, the only other place I've heard that style is when a pagan friend of mine let me listen to her Mp3.

Is there a connection?
Possibly? Like I said, he's very fascinated with the occult. Among his works are titles like "Necronomicon," "Gnostic Preludes", "Goddess: Music for the Ancient of Days", "Satyr's Play/Cerberus", "What Thou Wilt", "IAO: Music in Sacred Light", "Magick", "Moonchild", "Rituals", "From Silence to Sorcery".... with a catalogue that literally numbers in the hundreds, I could go on. lol

"While truth is unchanging, it changes those who encounter it." - Fr. Cedric Pisegna
Old Apr 28, '12, 11:36 pm
Forum Master

Honestly, I doubt even so-called 'demonically inspired' music has that sort of effect if you just don't let it. It helps to not even care about the artist. Just the song and sound itself.

It's like what I do when I read. I don't rely on an author biography to tell me how to interpret a story. I just read it and digest it on my own terms.

Anyways, with regards to the pieces you've cited, it kind of proves my point. Upon listening to the first, I didn't care about who composed it. I just listened and saw myself driving towards the sunset down a seaside road. Granted that my head's been heavy lately, I suppose I could use something like that at times.

The second one though I couldn't even finish. Was it demonic though? Not really. Sounded like typical heavy metal if you ask me (though at this point, I will not claim to be a metal expert ). I'm just not in the mood to appreciate that kind of tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
I've heard that if you play Nickelback's music backwards it sounds demonic.

Unfortunately, if you play it forward it sounds like Nickleback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPetrosPio View Post
lol I don't know which is worse. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson2011 View Post
Talk about a lose-lose situation.
Ouch! Hey! Fan here!? D8>

C'mon guys, it's bad enough I gotta put up with all them Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga junk on my office's net radio of choice. -.-

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Apr 29, '12, 12:18 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
Honestly, I doubt even so-called 'demonically inspired' music has that sort of effect if you just don't let it. It helps to not even care about the artist. Just the song and sound itself.

It's like what I do when I read. I don't rely on an author biography to tell me how to interpret a story. I just read it and digest it on my own terms.

Anyways, with regards to the pieces you've cited, it kind of proves my point. Upon listening to the first, I didn't care about who composed it. I just listened and saw myself driving towards the sunset down a seaside road. Granted that my head's been heavy lately, I suppose I could use something like that at times.

The second one though I couldn't even finish. Was it demonic though? Not really. Sounded like typical heavy metal if you ask me (though at this point, I will not claim to be a metal expert ). I'm just not in the mood to appreciate that kind of tune.
I'm leaning towards this myself. I think there were probably other more pertinent factors that may have led to any demonic activity I may have been subjected to at that time in my life, i.e. past occult involvement, blasphemy, etc. Perhaps it was stronger in the period when I was listening to things like the second piece because of the chaotic moods it produced? And perhaps now it just reminds me of that time...

Honestly, over the course of the evening as I've been going back over old interviews and things--researching, if you will--it seems to me that his interest in all these dark things is a bit of a morbid fascination with the dark side of humanity. Alot of the grotesque subject matter he chooses to focus on he seems to do so as a kind of "social commentary".
Still, I find a lot of it disturbing. In fact, I have thrown out the artwork from some of the albums that I own.

As for his interest in Aleister Crowley and Jewish Demonology, well... I guess that's a whole 'nother matter. But anyway, thanks for your input!

Quote:

C'mon guys, it's bad enough I gotta put up with all them Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga junk on my office's net radio of choice. -.-
I'm sorry! I thought about it after I posted.. "Ya know, there's probably Nickelback fans around here and they'll probably be offended." I'm not a fan, but hey: as you can see, my history of musical taste is questionable, so...

Old Apr 29, '12, 8:10 am

Quote:

I know - they don't get any respect!

The band comes from around my neck of the woods BTW so I should be proud of them
Old May 8, '12, 7:06 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Music absolutely can encourage oppression. Some people, like with anything, are more sensitive to its effects. The devil wants to lure us away from God. You said yourself that you felt oppressed and were not close to God while you were listening to this music. Regardless if the music was the reason or a secondary reason, the music did effect you, and it certainly didn't bring you closer to God.

Since the beginning of time music has been used to create reactions and emotions. In many ways, music can control people. You can go from not feeling sad, angry, lost, to listening to a song and feeling all of those things.

One person could listen to Zorn and not be effected, but someone else, who is already going down a bad path, could be pushed over the edge by such occult inspired sounds.

Yes, some of it is very beautiful- there are many bands who follow Crowley and Lavey that produce incredibly beautiful music- just as the demonic often presents itself as an "angel of light".

And as for Zorn performing in those churches- evil is everywhere. Nuns are using reiki. Just because Catholics are doing it, doesn't make it right.
Old May 8, '12, 7:10 am

I remember when I was a little bit younger [than I am now] I went through a phase where I would listen to nothing but punk rock. And I don't mean that up-beat relient-k type stuff they have out there today, I mean real, 77-style anti-establishment, anti-religion anti-everything punk rock. And to say it didn't affect my mood or the way that I thought would be a lie. When I quit that stuff it was almost a relief, and when I got rid of it I felt as if my mind was being detoxed. Music affects people, like previous posters said, some more than others, though I think bad, negative messages affect everyone who listens.
Old May 8, '12, 8:07 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

How about songs produced using the Vocaloid and UTAU software? O:
Old May 8, '12, 8:10 am

Quote:

Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga!?
One moment please.
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:
You aren't alone. I tend to hear their songs whenever I go into internet cafes. Hence, I listen to J-pop.
Old May 8, '12, 8:12 am
Forum Elder

I didn't listen to either clip and I know nothing of that composer, so you can decide if my comments apply to your sepcific situation or not.

Yes, music affects people. In the same way, art and literature and even architecture also affect people. So it's certainly possible that the second clip you posted can disturb your peace.

That said, I do not think that an individual's personal worldview automatically infuses everything they create with some sort of subliminal message pulling people toward that worldview. If that first clip is a beautiful, peaceful song, I don't think it becomes occultish solely by virtue of the fact that the composer dabbles in the occult.

Just think if that were true for all worldviews: Anyone who listens to a hymn that is written by a practicing Catholic feels inexplicably and forcibly compelled to renounce sin and embrace Jesus as their Savior. Do you see that happening? I don't. If I did, I would load my iPod with Catholic penned hymns and blast it for everyone I come into contact with. Evangelization would be a piece of cake!

I do believe there is an objective element to music. For example, lower pitch notes more easily create an atmosphere of somberness, whereas higher notes more easily convey light-heartedness. If there was no objective element, composers would not be able to craft music for movies with the express intent of eliciting emotions such as suspense, surprise, or joy.

However, we cannot discount the subjective aspect of listening to music. People experience this sort of thing when they have a song that is "their song" with their boyfriend or girlfriend. If they go through a messy break up, suddenly that song elicits an entirely different set of emotions that has nothing to do with the objective aspects of the music. Perhaps your association of this composer to the occult is so strong that anything he has composed (no matter what) carries those negative associations for you. If that were the case, it may be best for you not to listen to it.

Further with regards to the objective vs. subjective aspects of music, I don't think that all musical associations -- even common ones -- are necessarily universal. For many people, the double bass drum of a heavy metal song is disquieting (to say the least). For me, it's just high energy. It's not always easy to clearly dillineate between the objective and subjective.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old May 9, '12, 12:36 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelia81 View Post
In many ways, music can control people. You can go from not feeling sad, angry, lost, to listening to a song and feeling all of those things.
What you're not acknowledging is how said emotions vary from person to person. To some, a certain style is just noise and negativity. To others, it's liberation and relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelia81 View Post
Yes, some of it is very beautiful- there are many bands who follow Crowley and Lavey that produce incredibly beautiful music- just as the demonic often presents itself as an "angel of light".
Really? This little musical piece was likely made by someone from a pagan country and is even likely to have been inspired by pagan cultures of the past. Are you saying I have been possessed and oppressed all this time because I've listened to this and similar other pieces found in fantasy J-RPGs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
How about songs produced using the Vocaloid and UTAU software? O:

I can't say it's demonically inspired but I will say a certain song by Rin Kagamine was rather full of... awkward connotations. >_>

On the other hand, I try to flush it out by listening to this one. (And at this point, I have officially unveiled my fantasy otaku identify for all this thread to see. )

Quote:
You aren't alone. I tend to hear their songs whenever I go into internet cafes.
Don't remind me. I used to run one of those. X(

P.S.

Do you listen any online anime stations by any chance? :3

New blog

Old May 9, '12, 2:28 am

Quote:
What you're not acknowledging is how said emotions vary from person to person. To some, a certain style is just noise and negativity. To others, it's liberation and relief.

Really? This little musical piece was likely made by someone from a pagan country and is even likely to have been inspired by pagan cultures of the past. Are you saying I have been possessed and oppressed all this time because I've listened to this and similar other pieces found in fantasy J-RPGs?

I can't say it's demonically inspired but I will say a certain song by Rin Kagamine was rather full of... awkward connotations. >_>

On the other hand, I try to flush it out by listening to this one. (And at this point, I have officially unveiled my fantasy otaku identify for all this thread to see. )

Don't remind me. I used to run one of those. X(

P.S.

Do you listen any online anime stations by any chance? :3
Which song of Rin Kagamine? o:

Hence me listening to J-pop on YT or downloading songs from legitimate sources.
Old May 9, '12, 5:30 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Which song of Rin Kagamine? o:
It has the words "Nugeru Mon" in its title. Search it if you dare. And please, don't ask me again. Just thinking about that song makes me want to shoot myself. >_<;;;;

New blog

Old May 9, '12, 5:34 am

Quote:
It has the words "Nugeru Mon" in its title. Search it if you dare. And please, don't ask me again. Just thinking about that song makes me want to shoot myself. >_<;;;;

Oh, that song. I've heard of it from my fellow Vocaloid fans. *shudders*
And yes, it is disgusting. Good grief!
Is it okay if we listen to Ievan Polkka instead?
Old May 9, '12, 5:42 am
Forum Master

Quote:

Oh, that song. I've heard of it from my fellow Vocaloid fans. *shudders*
And yes, it is disgusting. Good grief!
Nah, I would think Daughter of Evil and Servant of Evil were 'disgusting' with the whole beheading part. I think a better word to describe *censored* Nugeru Mon would really be embarrassing (as in want-to-curl-up-in-fetal-position-embarrassing). I have this Other Side of me that I really want squashed down and songs like that seriously want to take the beating up a notch. DX

New blog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media