Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 29, '12, 10:14 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mormonism

Justaservant, we ARE in a community with them. It's called Earth. And I am fine with my religion.

Of course, if Parker's goals are to hound people on this board and convert people, as many have tried to convert me away from my Catholicism in my work as a chaplain, then we can be dignified and tell them no, ban them and move on.

Representing Catholics to every other faith as I do in the hospital( and no one is less worthy of that than me), I have only brought people closer to respecting us by love and graciousness, nothing else. The times I've been drawn into debates, most often by my peers from other religions or by the occasional patient when I think it will somehow get me closer to them, it always, always fails.

I always think of the wonderful way the Sikhs decided to respond to the attacks on them after 9/11. Their leaders told their faithful not to argue, not to fight or even show anger at being harassed, but to simply state that they were sikhs and that they loved God and flet compassion for those who lost their lives. I appreciated that dignity.
Old Apr 29, '12, 12:09 pm

Quote:
They also believe in a godhead that is 3 individual gods, not 3 Gods in one person. When they pray to god, they are not praying to the same one Christians are. Of course they will argue differently.
Isn't it three persons in one God?
Old Apr 29, '12, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopekinguys View Post
Unfortunately, their theology is not clear. That can be seen by many of he mormon posters and threads on this site.

We have had some of them state that they do believe they will become gods of their own worlds, and had some say that isn't true.

We have had some say they believe god was once a sinful man like us, and others say no.

Then you have the whole blacks could not receive their priesthood, but now they can.

They also believe in a godhead that is 3 individual gods, not 3 Gods in one person. When they pray to god, they are not praying to the same one Christians are. Of course they will argue differently.

Couple all of this with Joseph Smith being a false prophet, (Remember, it only takes one false/failed prophecy to be a false prophet) and you have something that is not considered Christian. No matter how well intentioned they may be.

At one point in time, mormons also did not want to be indentified as Christian, but only as mormon or lds. That has changed in recent years, as their leadership wants them to be considered more mainstream.

Stating facts, and pointing out errors is not unChristian behavior, as long as it is none in a spirit of Charity. Facts are facts whether we like them or not.
Brother!

Re: per Parker's mention of the incensed Pharisees in John 8:53 - Jesus plainly said "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am". This is a declaration of DIVINITY. He is ONE with the Father. Jesus is not a separate "God".

Jesus says several times in the Book of John: I AM in reference (Exodus 3:14) to Yahweh at the burning bush - the prescribed penalty of the sin of BLASPHEMY for one CLAIMING DIVINITY is stoning. If Jesus is not God - Yahweh, Elohim, the great I AM WHO AM - as the Mormons claim, the Pharisees clearly should have completed their stoning process as Jesus would have been, according to Archbshp Fulton Sheen, the biggest liar, charlatan, cad that EVER walked the earth & we should have nothing to do with him. Either He is Yahweh, the God-Man, The Word Incarnate or NOT!

Jesus IS either GOD made man or nothing at all. There is NO middle ground.
Old Apr 29, '12, 2:57 pm

Religion: LDS (Mormon)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
I find this rather funny. A core doctrine such as the Trinity is apparently misrepresented above and yet twopikinguys can say of LDS, "Unfortunately, their theology is not clear."
Old Apr 29, '12, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
Sorry for the typo. Of course you are correct.
Old Apr 29, '12, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janderich View Post
I find this rather funny. A core doctrine such as the Trinity is apparently misrepresented above and yet twopikinguys can say of LDS, "Unfortunately, their theology is not clear."
That's the best you got? Going after a typo?

Just like in your reply above....twopikinguys......

BTW Mistyped is not the same thing as misrepresented.
Old Apr 29, '12, 3:32 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sure.....let us review:

The Father is Spirit (Lectures on Faith)
No, the Father is Flesh (D&C)

God was once a sinful man (Joseph Smith)
No, Adam is our God (Brigham Young)
No, Adam is Michael (Temple Ceremony)
We never taught Adam was God (Gordon B. Hinkley)

How about the First Vision?

First Vision

1832-
Who- Joseph’s Hand
Date/Place- No date, No location
His Age- In 16th Year
Revival- No revival mentioned
Who was there- The Lord
Religious Corruption- Not mentioned
Message- Sins Forgiven

1835-
Who- Told to Warren Parish, His Scribe
Date/Place- No date, Silent Grove
His Age- About 14
Who was there- Two unidentified personages and many angels
Message- Sins Forgiven, Jesus is Son of God

1835-
Who- Told to Warren Parish, His Scribe
Date/Place- No date, No location
His Age- About 14
Who was there- Just Angels
Message- No Message

Who- Joseph told Orson Pratt
Date/Place- No Date, Secret Place in a Grove
His Age- About 14
Who was there- Two unidentified personages who looked exactly alike
Religious Corruption- Churches teaching incorrect doctrines
Message- Sins Forgiven, Churches in error

Who- Times and Seasons, Church History
Date/Place- Early Spring 1820, The Woods
His Age- 14
Revival- Yes, added later
Who was there- Two personages
Religious Corruption- All sects corrupt

July 1843
Who- Joseph Letter to Daniel Rupp
Date/Place- No Date, Secret Place in Grove
His Age- About 14
Revival- Not mentioned
Who was there- Two unidentified personages who looked exactly alike

August 1843
Who- Joseph to a journalist
Date/Place- No Date, The woods
His Age- About 14
Revival- Yes
Who was there- Two personages

May 1844
Who- Joseph in his diary
Date/Place- No Date, The woods
His Age- not mentioned
Revival- Yes
Who was there- Two personages, one has light complexion and blue eyes
Message- Methodist Church Wrong, all Churches in error

How about Blacks and the Priesthood?

Joseph- God never changes
Black can;t hold PH
In big trouble with government, BYU faces no other Universities playing them in Sports
God panics and changes His mind about Blacks

How about Polygamy?
Joseph- God never changes
Joseph- we can have many wives
Government going to take all their holdings
God panics and changes His mind on polygamy.

I could go on and on.....

and on and on.......

and on and on........

About all the changes and back tracking and hiding and confusion in the LDS Church.....and typos will never change those facts.
Old Apr 29, '12, 5:16 pm

Quote:
twopeking had a typo not a misrepresentation of our basic beliefs. I have done the same thing myself.

I am not a polytheist as Mormons are, neither are they.
Old Apr 29, '12, 11:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

I talked quite a bit on multiple threads with Parker before he got banned. He was frustrating to talk to at times but he was not one to cut and run.
That said. If there are any Mormons interested in this ... I recently watched a video (posted on another thread here at CAF) by an x satanist (for over 20 years) now Catholic. He explained that satan was very organized, very focused, controlled large sums of money and had the allegiance of millions of people that willingly followed him.. to the death. He said one of his jobs in satan's army was to sew discord and work to bring down congregations/ churches with the goal of sending as many people as he can to hell... in order to spite God. He said that satan doesnt really care about the people one way or the other ... It is God that he is wanting to hurt. He said that he focused on Baptist Churches and was very adept at what he did. He said that the two denominations that satan specifically targets in the greatest numbers are Baptists and Catholics. He also said that satan never ever targets Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses or Seventh Day Adventists.
Another interesting point is that the Bible code has been tested in the Book of Mormon and it does not work.
I realize that these two points can be pigeon holed as irrelevant ... but they are food for thought.

Feedback?

Last edited by 1voice; Apr 30, '12 at 12:02 am.
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:08 am
Veteran Member

What is "Bible code"?
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:58 am

Stay on the thread topic please and not each other
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:54 pm

Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingWaters7 View Post
Are you referring to the Comma Johanneum? If so, that isn't in the Gospel of John, it's in the First Epistle of John. Also, the arguments about the authenticity of those verses is of course subject to academic debate. In and of itself, I find no problem with them as a Latter-day Saint, since, while we reject the Trinity doctrine, we do believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one in purpose, will, love, and intent, and are referred to collectively as "Godhead" or "God" in our scriptures and other writings.
I'm sorry but I'm confused. I thought that Mormons do not believe in the Trinity yet I keep running across the term "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost" in posts written by Mormons. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is the Trinity.

Will someone please explain this? Thanks.
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Old Apr 30, '12, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
I'm sorry but I'm confused. I thought that Mormons do not believe in the Trinity yet I keep running across the term "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost" in posts written by Mormons. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is the Trinity.

Will someone please explain this? Thanks.
For Mormons, they are not three-in-one. They are three distinct persons working together. Two have flesh and bones bodies.
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerusha View Post
For Mormons, they are not three-in-one. They are three distinct persons working together. Two have flesh and bones bodies.
Ah. Thank you! I have to admit that is a bit uh, strange to me. I'm assuming it is the Holy Spirit who does not have flesh and bones.

Another question: When polygamy was allowed, were women allowed to have multiple husbands?
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Old Apr 30, '12, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1voice View Post
I talked quite a bit on multiple threads with Parker before he got banned. He was frustrating to talk to at times but he was not one to cut and run.
That said. If there are any Mormons interested in this ... I recently watched a video (posted on another thread here at CAF) by an x satanist (for over 20 years) now Catholic. He explained that satan was very organized, very focused, controlled large sums of money and had the allegiance of millions of people that willingly followed him.. to the death. He said one of his jobs in satan's army was to sew discord and work to bring down congregations/ churches with the goal of sending as many people as he can to hell... in order to spite God. He said that satan doesnt really care about the people one way or the other ... It is God that he is wanting to hurt. He said that he focused on Baptist Churches and was very adept at what he did. He said that the two denominations that satan specifically targets in the greatest numbers are Baptists and Catholics. He also said that satan never ever targets Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses or Seventh Day Adventists.
Another interesting point is that the Bible code has been tested in the Book of Mormon and it does not work.
I realize that these two points can be pigeon holed as irrelevant ... but they are food for thought.

Feedback?
Having never heard of the Bible Code I shouldn't respond to that part of what you presented. But as for the rest of it, well, that is one human being who appears to be making statements that cannot be backed up and are personal opinion. They may even qualify as personal revelation, which we can't even discuss. I doubt very much that Satan does not target Mormons, JWs or Seventh Day Adventists. We are all targeted; every last one of us. If Satan hates God (which he does) and tempts us and takes our souls in order to hurt God, taking the soul of a Mormon would certainly hurt God as all Mormons are His children and He loves them so much.

Just sayin'.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions