Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 30, '12, 7:43 am
blessedbyt blessedbyt is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 31, 2010
Posts: 14
Religion: Catholic
Default Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Can a protestant be excommunicated from the Catholic Faith?

I know, initially, this sounds like a silly question. How can you be excommunicated from something you are not in, right?

But then I read that Protestants, by virtue of their baptism, ARE members of The Church... although rebellious ones.

So, for example, a Protestant who was involved with an abortion, or had one, or some other automatic excommunication thing like that...well, would they have to get the excommunication lifted officially/properly at some point, if they were to become a Catholic?...and wanted to receive the sacraments in good standing?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:07 am
Fone Bone 2001 Fone Bone 2001 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 6, 2007
Posts: 1,849
Religion: Catholic Christian
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Because of the validity of their baptism and faith, they are in some sense accessing grace and therefore the Catholic Church, which is necessary for salvation.

But in a visible, legal, ecclesiastical sense, they are not members of the Catholic Church, and it is only on that external, ecclesiastical level that excommunication exists. It is an ecclesiastical penalty.

So no, I do not believe that Protestant Christians can be excommunicated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:22 am
constantconvert's Avatar
constantconvert constantconvert is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: April 20, 2012
Posts: 560
Religion: Cath♥lic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fone Bone 2001 View Post
Because of the validity of their baptism and faith, they are in some sense accessing grace and therefore the Catholic Church, which is necessary for salvation.

But in a visible, legal, ecclesiastical sense, they are not members of the Catholic Church, and it is only on that external, ecclesiastical level that excommunication exists. It is an ecclesiastical penalty.

So no, I do not believe that Protestant Christians can be excommunicated.
This is correct. Any ex-communicable sins would absolved at 1st Reconciliation, although they would have to let the priest know ahead of time that they had committed an ex-comminicable sin so that the priest can contact the Bishops office if neccesary. Usually common ex-communicable sins, like abortion, at least here in America, priests have permission from the Bishop to grant absolution without advanced permission.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:40 am
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,157
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbyt View Post
But then I read that Protestants, by virtue of their baptism, ARE members of The Church...
They are members of the Body of Christ by virtue of their baptism. They are not Catholics, and they are not under Catholic canonical jurisdiction. Therefore, no, canonical penalties do not apply to them.

Can. 11 Merely ecclesiastical laws bind those who have been baptized in the Catholic Church or received into it, possess the efficient use of reason, and, unless the law expressly provides otherwise, have completed seven years of age
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:44 am
blessedbyt blessedbyt is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 31, 2010
Posts: 14
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Hi ConstantConvert,

Thank you for your response (above) but it doesn't really help b/c, with your response about the excommunication being lifted at 1st Reconcilliation, that has me wondering again if the person WOULD have been in an excommunicated state, upon entering the confessional at their 1st reconcilliation. (And then they get it taken care of while they are at their 1st Confession.). See?
And so that is the opposite of the poster above that said that, no, the convert would NOT have been excommunicated, ever, in the first place. (Because they had been a Protestant when the excommunicationable thing.)

So rather than agreeing with the 1st answer, your answer is actually the opposite.

I think I will ask an apologist.
But thanks anyway.
K
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:47 am
blessedbyt blessedbyt is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 31, 2010
Posts: 14
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Thank you 1ke. Now THAT is a helpful response!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:47 am
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,157
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbyt View Post
that has me wondering again if the person WOULD have been in an excommunicated state, upon entering the confessional at their 1st reconcilliation.
No, they would not. A canonical penalty can only be imposed upon a Catholic.

Perhaps you misunderstand what excommunication is. Can you explain what you think it is?
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:49 am
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,157
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantconvert View Post
This is correct. Any ex-communicable sins would absolved at 1st Reconciliation, although they would have to let the priest know ahead of time that they had committed an ex-comminicable sin so that the priest can contact the Bishops office if neccesary. Usually common ex-communicable sins, like abortion, at least here in America, priests have permission from the Bishop to grant absolution without advanced permission.
this is not correct. Excommunication is a canonical penalty that can be imposed only upon Catholics.

A non-Catholic cannot be under excommunication.
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:27 am
constantconvert's Avatar
constantconvert constantconvert is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: April 20, 2012
Posts: 560
Religion: Cath♥lic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
this is not correct. Excommunication is a canonical penalty that can be imposed only upon Catholics.

A non-Catholic cannot be under excommunication.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I was agreeing that non-Catholic Christians can't be excommunicated. Sins like abortion that would count as an automatic excommunication for Catholics are forgiven at 1st Reconciliation.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:36 am
Fone Bone 2001 Fone Bone 2001 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 6, 2007
Posts: 1,849
Religion: Catholic Christian
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbyt View Post
Hi ConstantConvert,

Thank you for your response (above) but it doesn't really help b/c, with your response about the excommunication being lifted at 1st Reconcilliation
That's not what he said. He said "any excommunicable sins" would be absolved at first Reconciliation. He never said an actual excommunication would be incurred. As others have established - thank you, 1ke! - a non-Catholic cannot be excommunicated.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:54 am
steve b steve b is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 27, 2004
Posts: 7,483
Religion: Cradle Catholic
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbyt View Post
Can a protestant be excommunicated from the Catholic Faith?

I know, initially, this sounds like a silly question. How can you be excommunicated from something you are not in, right?

But then I read that Protestants, by virtue of their baptism, ARE members of The Church... although rebellious ones.

So, for example, a Protestant who was involved with an abortion, or had one, or some other automatic excommunication thing like that...well, would they have to get the excommunication lifted officially/properly at some point, if they were to become a Catholic?...and wanted to receive the sacraments in good standing?
.If they were to become Catholic, their sacramental confession of this and all their sins would be enough to restore them to sanctifying grace and therefore bring them fully into the Church. It's really the inner spiritual condition of the soul we're speaking of.
__________________
To doubt is the greatest insult to the Divinity.[St Padre Pio]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 30, '12, 6:27 pm
Ignatius Ignatius is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 5, 2005
Posts: 4,840
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Ignatius
Default Re: Can a Protestant be excommunicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbyt View Post
Can a protestant be excommunicated from the Catholic Faith?
To be excommunicated from The Catholic Faith means to no break from communion with The Catholic Faith. Protestants aren't in communion so they cannot fall out of communion.
__________________
-
Wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.
Dirige Domine Deus meus, viam meam in conspectu tuo.
http://catholictruth.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBa...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Y1G...eature=channel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8257Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4345Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3833SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3569Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3228Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3126Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3048For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:53 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.