Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 30, '12, 4:01 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Thumbs down Re: Being banned from the Priesthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1000 View Post
About: Rejecting Church teaching
Only in theory, but actually many seminaries do not care anymore.
As a religious studying for the priesthood I have to say that this is a very offensive comment.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:23 pm

Religion: Traditionalist Catholic
Default Re: Being banned from the Priesthood

Obviously, women and married men cannot become priests. However, I think that you can become a priest if your marriage is annulled or if your wife dies.

I wonder if a man could still be a priest if he has illegitimate kids who are in the mother's custody (i.e. he doesn't have an obligation to care for them). Having sex outside of marriage is, of course, a mortal sin, but if the guilt of it has been absolved through confession, then it might not matter.

A person who is excommunicated cannot become a priest until the excommunication is lifted.

A person cannot become a priest if he has a serious physical or mental disability that prevents him from performing him duty adequately.

A major prerequisite to entering seminary is willingness to totally dedicate oneself to our Lord Jesus Christ. If someone is not willing to do this, then he may not become a priest.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:26 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat682 View Post
Obviously, women and married men cannot become priests. However, I think that you can become a priest if your marriage is annulled or if your wife dies.
Actually married men can and do become priests.

It is only in the Latin Church that the discipline for celibacy for secular priests is held but the Latin Church does ordain married men who are ministers in other ecclesiastical communities that convert to Catholicism.
Old Apr 30, '12, 6:16 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
As a religious studying for the priesthood I have to say that this is a very offensive comment.
As a lay woman, I found it offensive too. While seminarians are not immune from heterodoxy, I can't imagine anyone dedicating his life to the Church if he didn't care.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 30, '12, 6:32 pm

Religion: Orthodox (catechumen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
As a lay woman, I found it offensive too. While seminarians are not immune from heterodoxy, I can't imagine anyone dedicating his life to the Church if he didn't care.
I found the comment strange and misplaced. My thoughts to priests, lay women and all of those who give their life and time to the church. Bless you all.
Old Apr 30, '12, 6:33 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailHolyQueen90 View Post
Are there any specific things that would ban someone from going into seminary and becoming a Priest and if so, what are they?
CIC (and parallel in the CCEO)

ARTICLE 3: IRREGULARITIES AND OTHER IMPEDIMENTS

Can. 1040 Those bound by an impediment are to be barred from the reception of orders. An impediment may be simple; or it may be perpetual, in which case it is called an irregularity. No impediment is contracted which is not contained in the following canons.

Can. 1041 The following persons are irregular for the reception of orders:

1. one who suffers from any form of insanity, or from any other psychological infirmity, because of which he is, after experts have been consulted, judged incapable of being able to fulfill the ministry;

2. one who has committed the offence of apostasy, heresy or schism;

3. one who has attempted marriage, even a civil marriage, either while himself prevented from entering marriage whether by an existing marriage bond or by a sacred order or by a public and perpetual vow of chastity, or with a woman who is validly married or is obliged by the same vow;

4. one who has committed willful homicide, or one who has actually procured an abortion, and all who have positively cooperated;

5. one who has gravely and maliciously mutilated himself or another, or who has attempted suicide;

6. one who has carried out an act of order which is reserved to those in the order of the episcopate or priesthood, while himself either not possessing that order or being barred from its exercise by some canonical penalty, declared or imposed.

Can. 1042 The following are simply impeded from receiving orders:

1. a man who has a wife, unless he is lawfully destined for the permanent diaconate;

2. one who exercises an office or administration forbidden to clerics, in accordance with canon 285 and 286, of which he must render an account; the impediment binds until such time as, having relinquished the office and administration and rendered the account, he has been freed;

3. a neophyte, unless, in the judgment of the Ordinary, he has been sufficiently tested.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism