Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #91  
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:39 pm
TrueLight's Avatar
TrueLight TrueLight is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2011
Posts: 9,954
Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: EF a different rite than OF, some say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegudiel View Post
Judge me as you will -- I couldn't possibly care any less, but I have seen several others (bother here and in the real world) be very diplomatic about the novus ordo/NO matter and they were met with dug-in anger.
Sorry, but your aggressive attacks on anyone who uses the term Novus Ordo is not going to change things.
__________________


HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
  #92  
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:40 pm
EcceAgnusDei EcceAgnusDei is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 4, 2012
Posts: 503
Religion: Catholic (Traditional)
Default Re: EF a different rite than OF, some say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlycool89 View Post
I don't wan to be calling people out or anything, but I know that some people like to call it the EF because they like to think that "extraordinary" means "better" or "remarkable" or "better than ordinary" when it doesn't. When the Church says "extraordinary", it means "that which is not ordinary" as in "not the ordinary form (OF) of the Mass".

It's the same type of language as when we say "disordered" (example - same sex attraction is disordered); we mean "not properly ordered" (as in "sexuality is properly ordered toward procreation, therefore same sex attraction is disordered").
Am I understanding you correctly? Are you comparing the calling of the Traditional Latin Mass as the Extraordinary Form to calling same-sex attraction disordered?

I'm hoping to get some clarification on this, because as it appears to me you are being highly offensive. I hope I've misunderstood you.

(and why hasn't Jegudiel jumped on this highly offensive suggestion...? "novus ordo" and all...)

+ PAX
  #93  
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:18 pm
thewanderer thewanderer is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 6, 2012
Posts: 5,053
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: EF a different rite than OF, some say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcceAgnusDei View Post
Am I understanding you correctly? Are you comparing the calling of the Traditional Latin Mass as the Extraordinary Form to calling same-sex attraction disordered?

I'm hoping to get some clarification on this, because as it appears to me you are being highly offensive. I hope I've misunderstood you.

(and why hasn't Jegudiel jumped on this highly offensive suggestion...? "novus ordo" and all...)

+ PAX
I'm pretty sure he was just giving an example of a word that can have two different meanings. Its not entirely clear because he doesn't explicitly say the two different meanings of disordered, but why would you assume that he was directly trying to compare the EF to SSA when he clearly said "its the same type of language" showing that the comparison was to do with the language used, not to do with what is expressed by the language.
  #94  
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:21 pm
Jegudiel Jegudiel is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 17, 2012
Posts: 513
Default Re: EF a different rite than OF, some say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
Sorry, but your aggressive attacks on anyone who uses the term Novus Ordo is not going to change things.
I didn't attack anyone. But I will agree, mentioning how offensive the use of NO/novus ordo is won't do anything in most cases because the only people still using such nomenclature have an agenda -- to offend others or to denigrate the OF Mass. They realize what they are doing.
  #95  
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:31 pm
thewanderer thewanderer is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 6, 2012
Posts: 5,053
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: EF a different rite than OF, some say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegudiel View Post
I didn't attack anyone. But I will agree, mentioning how offensive the use of NO/novus ordo is won't do anything in most cases because the only people still using such nomenclature have an agenda -- to offend others or to denigrate the OF Mass. They realize what they are doing.
See I think this is what truelight meant by attacking others. You refuse to acknowledge that there are many people who really don't have an agenda behind using it that way. Assuming that they have such an agenda and judging them for it and then refusing to believe them if they tell you otherwise feels like an attack to me. I know I would feel like I was being attacked if I used the phrase novus ordo online simply out of habit (as I almost have multiple times, even, as I mentioned before, while writing down EF for the older form of the mass) and had somebody assume I meant it as an attack against the OF. (whats funny is I just wrote down NO here while typing and had to correct myself. Trust me, it happens even to those who are trying to avoid it because they don't want to be attacked, and trust me, the reason I avoid it is because I don't want to be attacked by others, I really don't see it as an offensive term in and of itself. )
  #96  
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:34 pm
Jegudiel Jegudiel is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 17, 2012
Posts: 513
Default Re: EF a different rite than OF, some say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewanderer View Post
See I think this is what truelight meant by attacking others. You refuse to acknowledge that there are many people who really don't have an agenda behind using it that way. Assuming that they have such an agenda and judging them for it and then refusing to believe them if they tell you otherwise feels like an attack to me. I know I would feel like I was being attacked if I used the phrase novus ordo online simply out of habit (as I almost have multiple times, even, as I mentioned before, while writing down EF for the older form of the mass) and had somebody assume I meant it as an attack against the OF. (whats funny is I just wrote down NO here while typing and had to correct myself. Trust me, it happens even to those who are trying to avoid it because they don't want to be attacked, and trust me, the reason I avoid it is because I don't want to be attacked by others, I really don't see it as an offensive term in and of itself. )
Let's look at this specific situation. First we're on CAF which typically attracts those who are at least somewhat familiar with the Church. Second the individual made the effort to use "EF" yet still used "NO" rather than "OF." To suggest someone does that because they are "used" to writing "NO/novus ordo" simply does not ring true.

When advised that "NO" is viewed as a slur by many the person didn't respond in a manner like: "yeah, OK", "whoops sorry about that", "I had no idea, thanks", etc. They dug-in and insisted their use was correct. An extremely easy read.

Someone else was right though. It makes no sense to comment about how offensive "NO/novus ordo" is on a forum like because by and large they've already made the commitment to use the slur.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8479Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3330Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:12 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.