Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 28, '12, 1:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Resurrection of Jesus on Sunday

Hi All

Below verses show that the Resurrection of Jesus was anticipated in Old Testament Scriptures.

Does it proof that Jesus was Resurrected on the Sunday and not on the Sabbath day (Saturday) ?

Leviticus 23:10-11

10Speak to the children of Israel, and thou shalt say to them: When you shall have entered into the land which I will give you, and shall reap your corn, you shall bring sheaves of ears, the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest:
11Who shall lift up the shed before the Lord, the next day after the sabbath, that it may be acceptable for you, and shall sanctify it.

1 Corinthians 15:20-23

20But now Christ is risen from the dead, the firstfruits of them that sleep :
21For by a man came death, and by a man the resurrection of the dead.
22And as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive.
23But every one in his own order: the firstfruits Christ, then they that are of Christ, who have believed in his coming.
Old Apr 28, '12, 3:36 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Resurrection of Jesus on Sunday

Is there ever a doubt that Jesus resurrected on a Sunday? It is very clear in the Gospel that He resurrected the day after Sabbath.
Old Apr 28, '12, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
Is there ever a doubt that Jesus resurrected on a Sunday? It is very clear in the Gospel that He resurrected the day after Sabbath.
No, there is no doubt in my mind. I am in discussion with a friend who converted to a Jewish Sabbath keeper ministry and this is just one of many untrue claims they are making against the Catholic Church. Actually a lot of there teachings are against the Catholic Church

Quote: "Did you know the 7th Day is actually a Saterday, not a Sunday? Did you know YAHUSHUA (Jesus) actually arose on the 7th Day Sabbath, not the Sunday? Did you know the Romans Catholics changed this day from Saterday to Sunday? (The Catholic Mirror, official organ of Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893.) GOD's true Sabbath is the Saterday and this is the day that HE has blessed, not the 1st Day and not the 6th Day, but the 7th Day. The 10 Commandments have not fallen away and the Sabbath should be remembered and Set-Apart as it is written."

I am looking for additional proof. If I can refute this one I might be a step closer to show him his on the wrong path.
Old Apr 28, '12, 5:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Presbyterian

The Sabbath (Shabbat) day begins at sunset on the Friday and ends on the afternoon of Saturday. This is because the Hebrew calendar is based on the Lunar cycle and not the Solar cycle. By the western solar cycle Christ rose shortly after noon on the Saturday. This for the Jews is the first day of the new week. It's not an easy concept to get a grip of but the following website should help you understand.
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Hol.../calendar.html
Your Brother Richard
Old Apr 29, '12, 5:26 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
1* * Now after the sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the sepulchre.
Matthew 28:1

Quote:
And very early on the first day of the week they went to the tomb when the sun had risen.
Mark 16:2

Quote:
1* But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb,
Luke 24:1

Quote:
1* Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark,
John 20:1

Dawn of the first day of the week after the sabbath is not noon Saturday.
Old Apr 29, '12, 5:30 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY RASPER View Post
The Sabbath (Shabbat) day begins at sunset on the Friday and ends on the afternoon of Saturday. ...
I think the Jewish Sabbath runs dark to dark. As I recall dark is defined as when one sees a certain number of stars; five or so if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 30, '12, 8:40 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
Matthew 28:1

Mark 16:2

Luke 24:1

John 20:1

Dawn of the first day of the week after the sabbath is not noon Saturday.
I think part of the problem here is that the Greek term usually translated in English as "first day of the week," mia tōn sabbatōn (Mark, Luke, John) / mian sabbatōn (Matthew), actually literally translates to "first of [the] sabbaths," the word 'sabbath' here being used to denote a 'week'.
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooibok View Post
No, there is no doubt in my mind. I am in discussion with a friend who converted to a Jewish Sabbath keeper ministry and this is just one of many untrue claims they are making against the Catholic Church. Actually a lot of there teachings are against the Catholic Church

Quote: "Did you know the 7th Day is actually a Saterday, not a Sunday? Did you know YAHUSHUA (Jesus) actually arose on the 7th Day Sabbath, not the Sunday? Did you know the Romans Catholics changed this day from Saterday to Sunday? (The Catholic Mirror, official organ of Cardinal Gibbons, Sept. 23, 1893.) GOD's true Sabbath is the Saterday and this is the day that HE has blessed, not the 1st Day and not the 6th Day, but the 7th Day. The 10 Commandments have not fallen away and the Sabbath should be remembered and Set-Apart as it is written."

I am looking for additional proof. If I can refute this one I might be a step closer to show him his on the wrong path.
"The real issue here is, this ministry is Influencing young un-informed Catholics and others to stay away from the Catholic Church. They reach 100 000 visiters in one day for every new video they put on youtube. This needs to be stopped. Here is some more."

"No such law in the Bible "Nowhere" in the bible do we find that Jesus or the apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is, the Seventh day of the week, Saturday. Today, all Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman] church outside the Bible." Catholic Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947"

"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctified." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73 "

"Make all the excuses you want but YAHUVEH IS NOT A GOD THAT CHANGES just because the Catholic Church supposedly changed the Sabbath Day to a Sunday."

"I have a mandate from YAHUSHUA to warn you of why the devil had the Sabbath Day changed according to the Catholic church"

"Ministries or those who trust a Catholic Priest to absolve their sins. YAHUSHUA is not coming back for those"

I am asking for sound advice. My friend and others are deeply involved with this internet ministry.
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:59 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooibok View Post
"The real issue here is, this ministry is Influencing young un-informed Catholics and others to stay away from the Catholic Church. They reach 100 000 visiters in one day for every new video they put on youtube. This needs to be stopped. Here is some more."

"No such law in the Bible "Nowhere" in the bible do we find that Jesus or the apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is, the Seventh day of the week, Saturday. Today, all Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman] church outside the Bible." Catholic Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947"

"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctified." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73 "

"Make all the excuses you want but YAHUVEH IS NOT A GOD THAT CHANGES just because the Catholic Church supposedly changed the Sabbath Day to a Sunday."

"I have a mandate from YAHUSHUA to warn you of why the devil had the Sabbath Day changed according to the Catholic church"

"Ministries or those who trust a Catholic Priest to absolve their sins. YAHUSHUA is not coming back for those"

I am asking for sound advice. My friend and others are deeply involved with this internet ministry.
Let me chime in here.

I find it funny that people always talk of the 'Catholic Church', out of all the historical Churches (by which I mean the Churches that had existed before the Reformation), as the perpretator of all evils. You don't see, say, the Greek Orthodox or the Copts or the Armenians being accused of changing Sabbath to Sunday. It's always the 'Catholic Church', with the implication of 'Latin Rite Catholics'.

Oh, and that quote from Cardinal Gibbons is taken way out of context (an unfortunately all-too common tactic):
Third—A rule of faith, or a competent guide to heaven, must be able to instruct in all the truths necessary for salvation. Now the Scriptures alone do not contain all the truths which a Christian is bound to believe, nor do they explicitly enjoin all the duties which he is obliged to practice. Not to mention other examples, is not every Christian obliged to sanctify Sunday and to abstain on that day from unnecessary servile work? Is not the observance of this law among the most prominent of our sacred duties? But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify.

The Catholic Church correctly teaches that our Lord and His Apostles inculcated certain important duties of religion which are not recorded by the inspired writers. For instance, most Christians pray to the Holy Ghost, a practice which is nowhere found in the Bible.

We must, therefore, conclude that the Scriptures alone cannot be a sufficient guide and rule of faith because they cannot, at any time, be within the reach of every inquirer; because they are not of themselves clear and intelligible even in matters of the highest importance, and because they do not contain all the truths necessary for salvation.

God forbid that any of my readers should be tempted to conclude from what I have said that the Catholic Church is opposed to the reading of the Scriptures, or that she is the enemy of the Bible. The Catholic Church the enemy of the Bible! Good God! What monstrous ingratitude! What base calumny is contained in that assertion! As well might you accuse the Virgin Mother of trying to crush the Infant Savior at her breast as to accuse the Church, our Mother, of attempting to crush out of existence the Word of God. As well might you charge the patriotic statesman with attempting to destroy the constitution of his country, while he strove to protect it from being mutilated by unprincipled demagogues.

For fifteen centuries the Church was the sole guardian and depository of the Bible, and if she really feared that sacred Book, who was to prevent her, during that long period, from tearing it in shreds and scattering it to the winds? She could have thrown it into the sea, as the unnatural mother would have thrown away her off-spring, and who would have been the wiser?

What has become of those millions of once famous books written in past ages? They have nearly all perished. But amid this wreck of ancient literature, the Bible stands almost a solitary monument like the Pyramids of Egypt amid the surrounding wastes. That venerable Volume has survived the wars and revolutions and the barbaric invasions of fifteen centuries. Who rescued it from destruction? The Catholic Church. Without her fostering care the New Testament would probably be as little known today as “the Book of the days of the kings of Israel.”

Little do we imagine, in our age of steam printing, how much labor it cost the Church to preserve and perpetuate the Sacred Scriptures. Learned monks, who are now abused in their graves by thoughtless men, were constantly employed in copying with the pen the Holy Bible. When one monk died at his post another took his place, watching like a faithful sentinel over the treasure of God's Word.
In effect, Cardinal Gibbons is arguing against Sola Scriptura.
Old May 2, '12, 10:23 am

Hi Patrick457

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It is much appreciated
Old May 2, '12, 11:29 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick457 View Post
Oh, and that quote from Cardinal Gibbons is taken way out of context (an unfortunately all-too common tactic):
I have yet to see the SDA use that out of context, but I'll bet they have, since Cardinal Gibbons lived during the incubation period of the SDA. After recently obtaining a D-R which was published with the approbation of his Eminence Cardinal Gibbons, I Googled him up. Quite a history, indeed. He strikes me as the Bishop Fulton Sheen of his time.
Old May 3, '12, 5:53 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
I have yet to see the SDA use that out of context, but I'll bet they have, since Cardinal Gibbons lived during the incubation period of the SDA. After recently obtaining a D-R which was published with the approbation of his Eminence Cardinal Gibbons, I Googled him up. Quite a history, indeed. He strikes me as the Bishop Fulton Sheen of his time.
Yep. I would really recommend you read The Faith of Our Fathers, subtitled Being a plain exposition and vindication of the Church founded by our Lord Jesus Christ.
Old May 3, '12, 12:34 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick457 View Post
Yep. I would really recommend you read The Faith of Our Fathers, subtitled Being a plain exposition and vindication of the Church founded by our Lord Jesus Christ.
I was considering a copy, since Cardinal Gibbons was a giant of his day. When he was assigned to the entire state of North Carolina, there were reportedly a total of 700 Catholics there! His is a most impressive history.
Old May 3, '12, 1:17 pm

Quote:
[/quote]

They're in error and they're trying to destroy your faith. Their conclusions cloud the truth; the fullfillment of the Sabbath is the understanding that the Sabbath was in fact made for man, not man for the Sabbath and that the Son of Man is Lord also of the Sabbath. This Son of Man, by rising on the third day joins the Sabbath to the Gentile Sunday and re establishes for Israel the day as day and the night as night. That was at the break of day or full sunrise on the first day of the week.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture