Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Modesty in Dress and Deportment

Modesty in Dress and Deportment Click here to visit this social group

Old Apr 23, '12, 4:10 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is your personal style in modest clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice24 View Post
I wear usually pencil skirts with blouses an opaque tights or dresses in knee length, always a little "vintage" I like very much the fashion styles of the 40s and 50s...I like "business style" fashion, simple and elegant.
Do you now how difficult It is to find some high-closed blouses in german stores? ^^ I often change the clothing I order by sewing some buttons or wearing underdresses
When I read your post and got a mental picture of your outfits, I thought perhaps you might like to know that you can buy a little lace insert that hooks in front on each side of your bra straps and goes across to provide extra coverage for those garments that dip too low for modesty. I do not have one, but would love . If you don't already know about them, look about online, you will see. I don't know what they are called., just look for modesty, etc; Also, I have some success with tank tops, that are cut higher in the back by turning them around and wearing them backwards. If it turns out to be comfortable, they work, too. Not all of them work. Your style sounds cute. I like vintage things too. Most of my clothes are second hand and I just keep putting things together as creatively as I can. Not sure what to call my look! I love scarves, too. Welcome, we haven't had any action here in awhile! I love to chat about this stuff.
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:09 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanannemarie View Post
When I read your post and got a mental picture of your outfits, I thought perhaps you might like to know that you can buy a little lace insert that hooks in front on each side of your bra straps and goes across to provide extra coverage for those garments that dip too low for modesty......f.
OH! i have seen those too.. they now sell them at AC MOORE craft stores, some MICHAELS crafts stores, i bet JO AN fabrics.. always in the "as seen on TV" section.

there is also a product called the "Modest-t" which is like a short sleeve leotard... for layering.

i find that some of the (way too sheer in my opinion) t shirts and long sleeved shirts they sell at old navy and Express? that the young girls wear ? they are too sheer for my comfort, BUT make great layering T s for under things!!!

and like i said, Dickies. you can buy them or make them from old shirts..one of my friends went and bought a PILE of shirts at goodwill that were al too snug in the bust, but fit fine around her neck.. and cut them off just above the bust for layers!
but you can knit your own..
i buy and re sell the patterns from "Heartstrings" but you can buy from her directly.. she has knitted neck inserts (dickies) as well as lacy shrugs and collars and etc.
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:19 am
Prayer Warrior

i am sorry for repeating myself, i often forget to re read old posts before i answer!

anyway... if you want a sewing machine for less money, haunt the thrift stores, and flea markets.. and craigslist or post an add on freecycle! often people are giving their old ones away. i gave a lady my unused third machine... (yeah i had three)

you can also ask at sewing machine sales/repair places if they have any refurbished trade ins for a beginner.

sergers are often given away because people dont understand how to use them.. i got one at a thrift store and it was like 10 dollars? and gavce it to a friend.. she took it to a repair place and they fixed it up for about 50... so she got a very good expensive serger for about 60 bucks of actual money.

often places that do classes have class machines (used) for sale also.

and as to not looking frumpy with a low cut blouse.... get a CRAZY wild chemise top/tank top from one of the young places... like lane bryant or express.... i have one in zebra print.... as well as several "boring" solid colors.

you can also get them in cotton/rayon and dye them or paint them.. and if you like hand crafts?
"Thai Silks"
or
"Dharma Trading"
Dharma sells to tie dye artists, and they have clothing "blanks" including LONG skirts, tank tops, t shirts and etc.. in plain white ready to dye any color!!!!!

a Muslim friend of mine used to get a pile of the high neck long sleeve t shirts and tie dye and hand paint them to sell as "modesty" layers for people she sold matching scarves for folks too... (i thinks she still does, but she moved)

i have been considering opening up a Etsy store to sell just this sort of thing.
Old Apr 23, '12, 6:52 pm

Well, Fabric Dragon, you have some creative ideas! I like the idea of the clothing blanks. I will have to check that out. I just bought some new dresses, a skirt and some lightweight sweaters for layering today at the local Good Will. I found all in the yellow tags which were $1 today. I was very happy. I will be removing shoulder pads from the dress, tacking on a new button and will be very happy with end result. I bought a cute sheer wrap top that I will use over a dress that is sleeveless for Mass. I don't do sleeveless for Mass. At my age, the saggy arm thing doesn't even make me want to do sleeveless at all! So I was happy to find two dresses today with sleeves as I am trying to replace the sleeveless things I have gradually. I use them with things over them, but it will be nice to have more options, like being able to take off a sweater. Are any of you into hats? I love hats. Just have trouble getting them to fit. mostly the one size fits all are too big. Anyway, I like to dress them up with a scarf or flower and wear them to Mass. Yesterday I actually got a compliment from a lady that said perhaps she will wear her hats as she loves them too. I encouraged her. I have been wearing dresses only to Mass for over a decade and as yet, I am the only one. Isn't that strange? I told you I liked chatting about this!
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

i have the opposite problem with hats.. many of the one size fits all are too small!

if you find a hat that is just a touch too big, add a bandana folded up like a head band inside the crown. just tack it in place..
men's hats have a hat band inside? and to make them more snug they slip a bit of padding in between the hat band inside and the hat proper... you can do the same thing with a bit of fabric....

i adore hats.
Boscov's department store often has some nice hats... and near to Easter and Derby day you can find them more easily... and *sometimes* i find some nice ones at TArget!
since they are almost always FAR too small for me at Target you might find that they fit you.....

other than that you sort of have to stalk the local thrift stores ...
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores_IHS View Post
Hi, dear friends!

I thought it would be interesting to ask how you celebrate modesty in your dress. There are many styles of dress in which to express our love for this virtue. This makes modesty an even more interesting attraction, with which we can promote it to others. We often hear that we don’t have to be frumpy to be modest, and thanks be to God, this is so true! We can be stylish at the same time, and when I think of the word “deportment” it in itself conjures up a sense of being elegant and tasteful.

To start off the discussion… my style is hippie/arty/Middle Eastern. I love long, flowing clothes which make me feel graceful. I am fond of colour, but toned down, and clothing which is simple and uncomplicated. I am drawn to loose-fitting clothes. One reason I like this is because I am very tall and thin, and when the clothes sit loosely and flow in graceful lines, I feel that it gives a bit of width so I don’t look so thin! I feel feminine in dresses, as they flow in one line. I must admit, I love to imitate Mother Mary in my dress to some degree, as it makes me feel closer to her. Timeless clothes are my favourite. I am inspired presently by the Middle Eastern/Muslim robes, but I usually add a girdle to my dresses, so they don’t look like a tent! With my dresses I wear long scarves draped around my head to finish the picture.

God bless
Dolores
+
I can't carry out the middle-Eastern look very well because I am the opposite - short and curvy! I wear a lot of A-line skirts and dresses along with sweaters, boots or sandals, depending on the weather. I like boleros and recently discovered that the flower brooch pins I make in my shop are great for keeping the bolero together without revealing too much. I have also really gotten into hats lately (I want to learn how to make them). I bought my first hat and got lots of compliments while wearing it.
Old May 1, '12, 5:22 am

Dear Fabric Dragon, Thank you for the excellent and so clever idea of inserting a bandanna in the too-big hat. I will be trying that as soon as I can. It's so much fun sharing ideas. I have seen some great stuff online about making hats, but perhaps you have already found things. What I think is hard is finding the styles of the hats that look good on me. It seems that smaller brims look better on me. I at first had hair issues, but now just keep it wrapped low at the base of my head for most hats. For the mantillas, I usually wear it higher on my head.

Just for the sake of conversation, my clothes are second hand thrift store finds and I love putting things together and modifying and on and on and on.....
Old Dec 24, '12, 10:01 am
Banned

Well, I do feel for modest dresses to be use in regular days. When ever I use to do some thing odd then keep try to feel about my own philosophy. And I found some thing that modest-dress.com or sites like this can help you if you want to make some positive philosophy at modest dress. And I also like perfect white color.
Old Dec 24, '12, 1:18 pm

Dear Icons69, It was nice to hear your thoughts. We don't get much activity, here, as you can see it has been since May that a post was made. Maybe we can have a conversation about something in regard to this subject.. The fashion side of modest dressing is one of my favorite aspects of this. I have already posted my thoughts so far. Hope to hear from you again. J.
Old Dec 25, '12, 3:33 am
Banned

@jeanannemarie. thanks for your reply.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Modesty in Dress and Deportment