Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 2:23 am

Religion: Buddhist
Default Re: Is Jesus Actually Buddha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFun View Post
The "middle way" version statue (top) I'd have recognized as having been from an Eastern (to us) culture, but I might have had to have been told "that's a statue of the Buddha".
Not as "eastern" as you may think. It is from Gandhara, and is heavily influenced by Greek models from when the area was conquered by Alexander the Great. The 'thin Buddha' I posted was also from Gandhara.

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time and effort Rossum. :-)
Not a problem.

rossum
Old May 1, '12, 5:48 am
Banned

Religion: Ronin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFun View Post
Thanks for taking the time and effort Rossum. :-)....
Ditto.
Old May 2, '12, 3:49 pm
Prayer Warrior

Interestingly, I found a book on this very subject which suggests that the reason Jesus and Buddha are so similar is because the both derived their teachings from another source; namely the Old Testament. In this book, the author looks at the teachings of Buddha and compares them to the Solomon of the Old Testament and the simalarities are quite striking...Solomon lived roughly 500 years before Buddha and numerous Jewish merchants had settled in India by the time of Buddha and this author suggests Buddha took these teachings, fused them with some Hindu teachings, and created Buddhism. Very, very interesting and well-written. It's called "Jesus and Buddha: Could Solomon Be the Missing Link"
Old May 2, '12, 5:39 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinc1019 View Post
Interestingly, I found a book on this very subject which suggests that the reason Jesus and Buddha are so similar is because the both derived their teachings from another source; namely the Old Testament. In this book, the author looks at the teachings of Buddha and compares them to the Solomon of the Old Testament and the simalarities are quite striking...Solomon lived roughly 500 years before Buddha and numerous Jewish merchants had settled in India by the time of Buddha and this author suggests Buddha took these teachings, fused them with some Hindu teachings, and created Buddhism. Very, very interesting and well-written. It's called "Jesus and Buddha: Could Solomon Be the Missing Link"
I'd look a bit deeper, nqmely at what the source of the teaching of all three is. I'm betting that they look like they refer to each other because they all refer to the same non-personal Source.
Old May 2, '12, 7:09 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic(convert)
Post Re: Is Jesus Actually Buddha?

I read over Buddhism back then a long time ago, and while Buddha is both an interesting and in my opinion, one of the early pagans who truly understand the concept of God, I disagree with the Jesus-Buddha synthesis. It's just too simplistic to put the two together just because they have some messages that are similar. If Muhammad also preach about peace and love, shall we say Muhammad is another Christ? Or if Joseph Smith preach about harmony and brotherhood, is he the prophesied Buddha? The similarities could be just coincidental. Scholarly speaking it's because Jesus and Buddha both experience and understand the nature of suffering and the fragility of life that inspires them both to preach their messages. Religiously, Buddha could have been one of those rare men like Plato or Aristotle, ancient pagans who understand the true spiritual properties of God, and Christ is simply the philosophies and messages manifested in flesh, that is in Christian terminology, "the Word".
Old May 3, '12, 5:21 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityofTrinity View Post
I read over Buddhism back then a long time ago, and while Buddha is both an interesting and in my opinion, one of the early pagans who truly understand the concept of God, I disagree with the Jesus-Buddha synthesis. It's just too simplistic to put the two together just because they have some messages that are similar. If Muhammad also preach about peace and love, shall we say Muhammad is another Christ? Or if Joseph Smith preach about harmony and brotherhood, is he the prophesied Buddha? The similarities could be just coincidental. Scholarly speaking it's because Jesus and Buddha both experience and understand the nature of suffering and the fragility of life that inspires them both to preach their messages. Religiously, Buddha could have been one of those rare men like Plato or Aristotle, ancient pagans who understand the true spiritual properties of God, and Christ is simply the philosophies and messages manifested in flesh, that is in Christian terminology, "the Word".
That is a reasonable argument, especially the last line. Neverthelss, upon exmination, The Buddha's and the Christ's authority came form Union with God. That could be laid out much more specifically, but I'll leave it to any interested to explore the natue of that commonality between the two. The way They were presented may well have been a necessary adaptation to the cycle of hisotry in which they appeared. If you explore that as well, in conjunction with the Two, it will be noticed that it is almost impossible for us in this day and age to take in the astonishing differences in culture then and now. Remember, Jesus appeared at a time and place where it would be natural to think that things had to get better after death, as they were so horrible on Earth during th ime and later for the ordinary person.
Old May 3, '12, 5:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityofTrinity View Post
I understand what you are arguing here, but all the examples you cited...such as Joseph Smith and Muhammad, said and wrote everything they did with a complete understanding of both Christianity and Judaism...so it makes sense that their messages would be somewhat similar...This is not the same thing as Buddha who, according to their tradition, came up with all of his teachings through meditation and tapping into nirvana.
Old May 3, '12, 5:51 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaber View Post
That is a reasonable argument, especially the last line. Neverthelss, upon exmination, The Buddha's and the Christ's authority came form Union with God. That could be laid out much more specifically, but I'll leave it to any interested to explore the natue of that commonality between the two. The way They were presented may well have been a necessary adaptation to the cycle of hisotry in which they appeared. If you explore that as well, in conjunction with the Two, it will be noticed that it is almost impossible for us in this day and age to take in the astonishing differences in culture then and now. Remember, Jesus appeared at a time and place where it would be natural to think that things had to get better after death, as they were so horrible on Earth during th ime and later for the ordinary person.
Interesting thought on the matter...
Old May 3, '12, 5:53 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Also, to update my above quote, while I do find the book to be very plausible on its face, I am wondering now how likely this scenario is given that many people don't attribute Wisdom to Solomon or Psalms to David, etc.
Old May 3, '12, 6:09 am
Banned

Quote:
Also, to update my above quote, while I do find the book to be very plausible on its face, I am wondering now how likely this scenario is given that many people don't attribute Wisdom to Solomon or Psalms to David, etc.
Iwonder if it matters if wisdom is attributed to persons if one doesn't fundamentally attribute Wisdom to realization of its Source. I continue to claim that similarities in teaching, wisdom, statements, even myths and parables all stem not from referencing each other, but from referencing what leads to the statement that we are all made in the image and likeness of God. The operative word is ALL. So we all necessarily, at root, have the same referent. So why is there either surprise or controversy about the similarites of wisdom teachings??? It's kind of like the local high school claiming that they have the One True Team!
Old May 3, '12, 6:13 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaber View Post
Iwonder if it matters if wisdom is attributed to persons if one doesn't fundamentally attribute Wisdom to realization of its Source. I continue to claim that similarities in teaching, wisdom, statements, even myths and parables all stem not from referencing each other, but from referencing what leads to the statement that we are all made in the image and likeness of God. The operative word is ALL. So we all necessarily, at root, have the same referent. So why is there either surprise or controversy about the similarites of wisdom teachings??? It's kind of like the local high school claiming that they have the One True Team!
So you are suggesting then that humanity is born with this knowledge in their DNA and are then able to produce this on their own, or that God has divinely inspired all these authors, including Buddha, so it is no surprise their beliefs and teachings are so similar?
Old May 3, '12, 6:22 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Also, can someone actually explain why quotes from Buddha and Jesus are so similar? That was another reason I started this dialogue. I read a theory there may be a connection between Soloman and Buddha, suggesting that Buddha derived a lot of his beliefs from Jews who settled in India.
First rule of internet theology: verify your interlocutor's claims. Have you read the source material?

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old May 3, '12, 7:00 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post
First rule of internet theology: verify your interlocutor's claims. Have you read the source material?
Yes and there is absolutely a simalarity if you go line by line....but as I mentioned earlier, if Solomon did not write Wisdom or any of the other books he is attributed to writing, it may not matter because depending upon when those books were written, Buddha may have already lived and died.
Old May 3, '12, 9:11 am
Banned

Quote:
So you are suggesting then that humanity is born with this knowledge in their DNA and are then able to produce this on their own, or that God has divinely inspired all these authors, including Buddha, so it is no surprise their beliefs and teachings are so similar?
Idon't know that much about DNA relative to this question, but that might be an interesting avenue of research.

As for divine inspiration, that is a term bandied about mostly in ignorance, as far as I can see. My assertion is based on the nature of awareness relative to Consciousness as I have experienced and studied tha,t relative to "spiritual" insight. One Source, necesssarily one Conclusion. Alpha and Omega. As asked before, if we are ALL made in the image and likeness of God, that being, I would add, in particular pertinent to awareness, something few look into the nature of, then why would we expect differences in the deepest experiences and revelations?

And really, unless someone has had the experience of being completely without thought and seeing awareness in its purity, does such a person have other than a speculative basis for comment on this? Surely religion is one are where book learning is bandied about as if it was actually experiential knowledge. The mind abhors a vacume, and wher there is not knowledge, there is belief. I choose the former. Perhaps for many this is not an important distinction. How many have found the "off" button for their discursive mind?
Old May 3, '12, 9:43 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
...simalarities of parables, stories, and names of apostles, etc. between Jesus and Buddha. Has anyone actually done any research on this?
It's just occurred to me that our religion is set in history. We have the bones of several of the apostles. Also, the reference to Jesus appearing before the 500 is corroborating evidence. It was included in the Scripture specifically because some of those 500 were still alive to verify the events.

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics