Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '12, 2:55 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Taking baby to mass alone

My husband is not Catholic although he will agree with attend mass with me every so often, maybe once a month. Our baby is 9 months old and doesn't seem to do well there at all.. most of the time my husband just takes him out to the lobby and stays there with him until the mass has ended and I end up sitting there alone anyways.

My question is what should I do on the Sundays when he won't come with me? I feel like being there alone with our 9 month old would be too much to handle on my own, and I'd probably be pacing the lobby with him (he doesnt crawl yet and likes to be held), would it even be appropriate to receive the Eucharist while holding him? I've heard you need to 2 hands.

Another downside is the only mass is at 9am, and thats when my baby takes his 1-2 hour morning nap and he is miserable without it.

I miss going and I just want to know what you would do, put the baby down to sleep and go alone? I would rather not go alone but it seems like my only option
Old Apr 24, '12, 2:59 pm

Default Re: Taking baby to mass alone

When your husband won't come with you, leave the baby with him. It shouldn't be so hard since it is the time when your child is taking is big nap.
Old Apr 24, '12, 3:00 pm

Take it one Sunday at a time...

If baby goes down for a nap and hubby is home, go to Mass alone.

If baby is awake, take him to Mass.

I'm not sure why you think you can't go to Communion holding a baby... lots of parents do every week. Receive on the tongue.
Old Apr 24, '12, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf View Post
When your husband won't come with you, leave the baby with him. It shouldn't be so hard since it is the time when your child is taking is big nap.
I probably will have to, It would just be nice to have someone to go with even if it is a miserable baby
Old Apr 24, '12, 3:21 pm
Forum Supporter

I went alone with my daughter to Mass quite a bit when DH was working when we'd go (from birth until her little sister was born two years later). I'd sit with her and if she was noisy we'd get up and go to the back. If that didn't calm her down I'd step outside for a few moments, without putting her down and we'd stand looking at a wall (so it wasn't too interesting) and then go back in.

Everyone receives on the tongue anyways at the Mass we attend, but that's the best way of doing it when your arms are full. And it's totally appropriate to carry the little one with you when they're too little to stay in the pew by themselves. DH and I both have a little one with us when we go up now since neither of ours are big enough to stay by themselves.

My Blog
A Snood for All Seasons
06/08 07/10 8/11 11/12 Due 10/14
Old May 1, '12, 5:53 am

I have taken my son to mass alone since he was a baby. (My husband is non-practicing.)

When he was an infant, I would wear him in a sling during mass and he would often sleep the whole time. I really enjoyed that time with him. It goes by so fast.

I always received on the tongue when holding my son. Even when he got older, I would receive on the tongue so I could keep my hands on his shoulders. (He has autism and for a while he would run away unexpectedly if I didn't have both hands on him.)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting