Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 1, '12, 12:54 am

Religion: catholic
Default protestant family

I married a catholic and after many hours of research I've converted. My family has never been very religious but lately have been attending a non denominational christian mega church. Should I be telling them not to go there or should I be happy they are going to church? They really like going and I am very happy to see they have found jesus.
Old May 1, '12, 1:07 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: protestant family

I would suggest you don't say anything directly to them about your reservations. Pray for them and when they seek dialogue with you about the faith you can engage them. In the meantime learn more about your faith so you can defend it scripturally and historically.
Old May 1, '12, 1:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnawag View Post
I married a catholic and after many hours of research I've converted. My family has never been very religious but lately have been attending a non denominational christian mega church. Should I be telling them not to go there or should I be happy they are going to church? They really like going and I am very happy to see they have found jesus.
You probably will not have to say anything about your family's discovery of religion. More than liekly they will start telling you about why you need to get saved and have a personal relationship with Jesus.
Old May 1, '12, 3:00 am

Send a message via AIM to Danuska

Why should you be telling them not to go there? If they were Catholic, I would have some reservations but otherwise it's good that they go to church at all.
Of course you can pray for them that one day they will become Catholics, if you happen to discuss religion you might have a chance to tell them why you are Catholic and why the Catholic Church believes what it does, and in the meantime let your life be a testimony to them.
Old May 1, '12, 3:43 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

What you should do is to speak to them about your faith and not try to hide it because of being polite. Our Lord Jesus Christ was never like that plus the Bible tells us always to be prepared to give a reason for our faith,however before going in to big debates make sure you know the faith well and can explain it .If they are attending a protestant church make sure you do not go there with them at all on Sundays or weak days unless there is a funeral or a wedding beewteen two protestants or two people who are not Catholics(but even if it is a funeral or a wedding on a Sunday you still have to go to mass at a Catholic church).Also it may seem good that they are on fire for Jesus but in the end if they don't become Catholic they can never get to heaven or recive Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.Lastly I would Strongly recomend talking to a good Catholic Priest on this(a Catholic Priest from the FSSP would be the best).God bless

Last edited by Gregorian Apolo; May 1, '12 at 3:57 am.
Old May 1, '12, 4:47 am
Prayer Warrior

Make sure you are informed enough to answer their questions when they arise. I'm sure they will. As a Catholic, it is up to you to be educated in the faith so you are able to live the faith authentically and be able to evangelize. I'm sure there will be future discussions on faith. Be happy that they have begun their journey. Through careful guidance from you, their journey may end in their coming home.
Old May 1, '12, 5:01 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cath♥lic

I wouldn't say anything about what church they attend, but I would talk with them about Scripture, Jesus, etc. Since you were protestant yourself, you can see where they're coming from, which will be helpful in your discussions. I'm so happy for you, you must be filled with joy and relief. I pray that they would come to know God, love God and serve him wholly. I hope so much my family comes to believe before they die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorian Apolo View Post
Also it may seem good that they are on fire for Jesus but in the end if they don't become Catholic they can never get to heaven
Unmitigated poppycock.
Old May 1, '12, 5:20 am

Religion: Anglican

Quote:
Also it may seem good that they are on fire for Jesus but in the end if they don't become Catholic they can never get to heaven or recive Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.Lastly I would Strongly recomend talking to a good Catholic Priest on this(a Catholic Priest from the FSSP would be the best).God bless

Oh? I thought the Catholic Church considered Protestants to be seperated brethren and that they too will end up in heaven. At least that is what I have gathered from reading various posts on this forum. Am I wrong?
Old May 1, '12, 5:25 am

During the teaching on The Creed that our priest did he reinforced to us that Protestant believers are our separated brothers and sisters and that they are other eclesial bodies. Also that there is 1 church and that they are part of that church.
Old May 1, '12, 5:52 am

Send a message via ICQ to bmullins Send a message via Yahoo to bmullins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly View Post
Oh? I thought the Catholic Church considered Protestants to be seperated brethren and that they too will end up in heaven. At least that is what I have gathered from reading various posts on this forum. Am I wrong?
They too can end up in Heaven, but no one for sure 'will.' But yes, they are still baptized into the body of Christ. While we in the church have the 'normative' means of grace, we also believe that God is infinitly beyond and above anything we can imagine, and we don't try to limit him and tell him who can't go to Heaven. We simply believe that through revelation we have found the most 'sure' path to walk on.

Someone posted an analogy earlier about rain and thirst. We believe the Catholic church is full of grace, it's like a water fountain that everytime we are thirsty we go to it. The other churches too might have water coming through them, we see some good truths in their teachings and fruit in their lives. But if you know you can go to the water fountain, the source for unlimited supply, why would you stand outside with your mouth turned to the sky and wait for rain?
Old May 1, '12, 6:50 am

Thank you all for your replies so far. They are very helpful.
Old May 1, '12, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly View Post
Baptism is the sacrament of initiation for all Christians. As all sacraments it is a means of grace. It also establishes a communion among all the validly baptized making them brethren in a sense. There is no assurance that individual Protestants will end up in heaven, or Catholics, so in thgat sense you are wrong.

We pray and hope for all souls, for mercy and everlasting beatitude, but for most we do not know their eternal fate.

I think this is what Anglicans believe also.
Old Jun 19, '12, 1:06 pm

Blessed Pope Pius IX declared " By Faith it is to be firmly held that outside the Apostolic Roman Church none can achieve salvation. This is the only ark of salvation. He who does not enter into it, will perish in the flood. Nevertheless equally certainly it is to be helpd that those who suffer from invincible ignorance of the true religion, are not for this reason guilty in the eyes of the Lord"

I suggest to read this link its by Catholic answers

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/salva...ide-the-church
Old Jun 19, '12, 1:10 pm

Don't tell them that they shouldn't go there. At least they are going to church.
Old Jun 20, '12, 11:52 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Judaism

Quote:
Also it may seem good that they are on fire for Jesus but in the end if they don't become Catholic they can never get to heaven or recive Our Lord Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.
I read your answer and I thought it was good Catholic advice until I stumbled upon this statement.
They can never get to heaven? Where would you find that within Catholic teachings?

A bird that you set free may be caught again, but a word that escapes your lips will not return.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions