Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 12:43 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: How do you cultivate a mentality so that Mass wont seem so perfunctory?

What occurs spiritually at the mass is invisible. At the epiclesis, the Holy Spirit is invisible. The angels who are present to us during the Holy, Holy, Holy are invisible. The change that is effected in the bread and wine at the consecration is invisible. But, what was happening in our presence was and is miraculous. When I finally came to realize that, I never looked at mass the same again. Whereas it had been boring, I came to realize the miracles that were occurring in my presence. My wife heard on Catholic radio that it was a good thing to take notes during the homily. So, she took a notepad and began to do so. She was surprised to find that she remembered the content of the homily much better, as well as noting that those points were related both to one another as well as to the readings.

The more involved one is with the mass, the more amazing it becomes, and the more grateful we can be for the eternal sacrifice that our Lord made on our behalf.
Old May 1, '12, 8:50 am

Religion: Ukrainian Catholic
Default Re: How do you cultivate a mentality so that Mass wont seem so perfunctory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat682 View Post
Maybe consider not going to Mass every single day; instead just go on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays or something like that. If you do it every day, it is probably more likely to seem routine.
The 'don't go to Mass everyday and things will improve' is just what the enemy would whisper in our ears!
If we push through, although it's routine, dull, and we'd rather not, (this goes for all our duties in our state in life) there is more merit for us before the Throne of God. We should be able to progress in our maturity and not remain babies, always needing our needs to be satisfied. Being a son or daughter of God is an awesome privilege, but we still have to clean our rooms and do our homework.
Old May 3, '12, 9:04 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyinCanada View Post
The 'don't go to Mass everyday and things will improve' is just what the enemy would whisper in our ears!
If we push through, although it's routine, dull, and we'd rather not, (this goes for all our duties in our state in life) there is more merit for us before the Throne of God. We should be able to progress in our maturity and not remain babies, always needing our needs to be satisfied. Being a son or daughter of God is an awesome privilege, but we still have to clean our rooms and do our homework.

I believe one of God's most under-appreciated gifts to us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Old May 3, '12, 10:15 am

Religion: Roman Catholic - SSPX

If you truly believe that Christ becomes physically present at the Consecration, when that happens, how can it be even remotely perfunctory?

Develop a devotion to the True Presence and the anticipation and excitement will never fail you.

By all means, do not assist at Mass less frequently. E gads!
Old May 3, '12, 10:54 am

Religion: catholic

This "Mass Appreciation" thread has very good points thruout.
Maybe someone should write a brief phamplet for catholics. Then those that complain that they don't get anything out of Mass, or that its boring, would begin to appreciate what they have in a way that makes sense to them.

How could we not appreciate the suffering Jesus did for each of us which is renewed at Mass.

One of the things that help overcome my doldrums is to visualize particular scenes of Jesus in his active life. To think that this Person who walked in the grass, with the sun high in the sky, with his apostles around him, his outer garment flowing in the breeze, making hast to the next village. When out of the blue comes a man calling to him. And seeing the man, Jesus stops and tells his apostles to bring the man to him. Then I hear Jesus' voice saying to the man, "why is it that you called me?" Then the man looks up with his eyes drawn and with a pleading voice,"please, you know Lord, help me." Then Jesus looking down upon him with love and compassion, stretching out his hand, lifts the man up saying, "be healed".

After this I picture this same Jesus, in person, at the altar offering the Mass again. And I realize after 2000 years, I am the lukiest man that every walked the face of the earth, to be that close to him again. And when after the changing of the bread and wine into his very own body and blood, the miracle, I then anticipate this very sacred body and blood soon to be offered to the Father on my behalf, as well as all the people present, and for and with the people all over the world, for their sins. The very beloved Son of our Father, which the Father would always accept because this innocent Lamb is so precious to Him. How could our Father be anythng but pleased with us after such an acceptable gift of his beloved Son? And the Father says to us "be healed".

Or again sometimes I will picture him in a boat in the calm water just off the sandy shore from Capharnum, standing, and teaching the people. Visualling his physical features and his intense desire to draw all to the kindom of his Father.

And then I see Him again, in the same way, standing there at the altar.

Just a thought about stirring up the faith.
Old May 3, '12, 2:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppeTO View Post
If you truly believe that Christ becomes physically present at the Consecration, when that happens, how can it be even remotely perfunctory?

Develop a devotion to the True Presence and the anticipation and excitement will never fail you.

Although sometimes difficult logistically, I desire to be in the presence of our Lord constantly now! Maybe not constantly, but very often.

I've started receiving on the tongue today again after years of receiving in the hand. Not that it is wrong to receive it in the hand, but I feel so unworthy as well as grateful to receive our Lord, that I want to do it in the most proper and respectful way possible. Don't want to start any debates on this as I participated in a long thread on this a couple months ago, just sharing my recent love of the Eucharist and the enthusiasm of the reality of the Real Presence of our Lord.

God bless,
Bryan

I believe one of God's most under-appreciated gifts to us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Old May 3, '12, 2:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

As a quick addendum to my last post:

Part of this has been inspired by my current reading of Mother Teresa's letters in Come, Be My Light. She talks about the suffering she endures and her desire to have the Eucharist daily because of her trust in the Lord. She asked the bishop to have a priest say Mass daily so that her sisters could receive the Lord daily because only in such a way can they have strength to live in such poverty and do their missionary work. I was moved by her devotion which in part inspired what I said in my previous post.

God bless,
Bryan

Old May 9, '12, 10:41 am

Default Re: How does one avoid falling into a "mass rut?"

Sometime during the past two years I developed a mule-like stubbornness respecting the Mass obligation. I don't want to go precisely because it is demanded of me. I want to want to go, and there is no denying to myself that this resistance is very real. Once I'm there, by the way, I am fine, if more or less impressed by the music, homily, etc.

Last weekend I tried telling myself that I was going to participate in a celebration which Christ would attend. (I know how obvious this is, but have I pretended to genius? No.) I will see how this works in the persuasion department.

It is not good in a real sense to know others are feeling this way, but it is consoling to know I am not alone.
Old May 9, '12, 10:49 am

Getting into a rut is perhaps inevitable--we tend to lose focus over time.

Still, persistence is more important than feelings--if you fall into a rut, and keep going, keep praying and such, the feelings will return. You might look into the "Dark Night of the Senses" and "of the Soul" (or comparable ideas from other Spiritual Masters): God sometimes takes away the consolation of sweetness from our practice to strengthen our soul, and so we don't just look to immediate rewards, but look to God himself for our good.

And, as others have mentioned, good preparation and follow-through help: I find even dressing is a form of preparation, helping put me in a proper mind-set. Going and arriving early enough to settle into attentive quiet and prayer. Considering the readings, and what they say to me. And after, thanking God for His gifts, considering the readings further, especially in light of the homily or the whole Mass, asking what God wants of me today as I head back into the world, and so on.
Old May 9, '12, 12:52 pm

Religion: PROUD Roman Catholic

I was just praying about this last night, I attend daily Mass 7-days-a-week and often feel complacent as if I'm just going through the motions. I can think of one thing that might help, get in touch with other people at Mass or to bring someone with you. We are all there sharing in the Mass together, why not reach out by talking to others after Mass? Start a reflections group to discuss the daily readings. Bring your friends and have them sit with you or start sitting with some of the new people you meet. I find my Daily Mass routine far more enjoyable when I'm connected with those around me.
Old May 14, '12, 5:19 pm
Observing Member

I truly enjoy reading all of your answers, because any single answer can only contain part of the truth. I think this is why I used to "practice" my accounting profession; if I didn't keep current with developments and things I already knew, then I would not be effective and would only be bored with my job. This would be borne from fear (because I don't know what's new, and I can't serve well) and I am sure from negative feedback from my clients.

I need to practice my faith as well. Brooklyn, I like what you said... anyway, I do listen to CDs on religious topics, and recently I bought two series: "Parts of the Mass" and "History of the Mass." The presenter, a priest and scholar, commented that "If people knew what is actually happening in the Mass, there would't be a vacant pew anywhere." I agree. So, to me, continuing adult formation is necessary to make one's faith alive! Knowledge doesn't create faith, but it makes that gift easier to keep. If my faith is alive, I don't become bored with anything in it, especially the Mass, which is the "source and summit" of our Catholic Faith.

I went through a course in the Book of Revelation. In it, there are verses that describe every single part of the Mass. One that especially strikes me is when we "Lift up our hearts..." At that moment, we join with the Supper of the Lamb, where the Church Triumphant (The souls in Heaven) celebrates the eternal redemptive event. As Jesus did, so must we do. He offered and gave Himself Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity to the Father.
We imitate that sacrifice to the Father when we prepare for Eucharist, I like to say now that we enter into communion with Jesus and His Mystical Body, the Communion of Saints. Under and through Him, we enter into communion with each other as well.

When we say the Our Father we prepare ourselves to enter into Communion with and through Jesus; we bring a more pure self to the altar, especially when we pray as Jesus taught us, and ask the Father's forgiveness to the extent we forgive others. When we express the sign of peace, we both acknowledge those with us and should take the opportunity to bring to mind any person in our life, past or present, with whom we are not reconciled. If we forgive in this way, we are closer and closer to God because we are doing Jesus' will!

The dismissal is not the end. The word "Mass" comes from the Latin word "Missa" which implies a mission, that comes to us by virtue of Baptism. This is a Monday-to-Saturday command where we go into the world with the graces we obtained during Eucharist, and by having heard and listened to the Word proclaimed to us. If we go out and do whatever that day's message is, we lead a Catholic Christian life in the best way possible. If you're like me, go have hot cross buns, donuts or whatever, and read the comics. But don't forget- the Mass doesn't end!

There are so many aspects to the Mass, it's worth investigating! Ask your Pastor to arrange for an evening (s) to learn about it. Make it your own parish project!

I'm sure we could all go on and on (I think there is a new program called "On-and-Onanon" for those who like to talk as I do.) I hope I said something to help someone, most especially YOU!
Old May 16, '12, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macneill321 View Post
. . .
I went through a course in the Book of Revelation. In it, there are verses that describe every single part of the Mass. One that especially strikes me is when we "Lift up our hearts..." At that moment, we join with the Supper of the Lamb, where the Church Triumphant (The souls in Heaven) celebrates the eternal redemptive event. As Jesus did, so must we do. He offered and gave Himself Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity to the Father.
We imitate that sacrifice to the Father when we prepare for Eucharist, I like to say now that we enter into communion with Jesus and His Mystical Body, the Communion of Saints. Under and through Him, we enter into communion with each other as well.
. . .

I like how the book of Revelation shows all the fuss and turmoil on Earth, compared with the serene liturgy going on in Heaven before the throne--and also how much and how long they struggle here, but when God acts, it happens before anyone can see it happening, such as the fall of Babylon.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism