Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 30, '12, 12:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Orthodox Christian
Default Re: Is it a sin to question the teachings of the CC?

My personal response to Orthodoxy: Christ said Peter is the Rock. The Orthodox say Peter left the Church. But how can a house stand without a foundation? It cannot, there for, the Catholic Church is the Church.

Orthodox Christian as of November 2013. Previous posts may not reflect this.
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:01 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by John of Patmos View Post
My personal response to Orthodoxy: Christ said Peter is the Rock. The Orthodox say Peter left the Church. But how can a house stand without a foundation? It cannot, there for, the Catholic Church is the Church.
No, we don't say that. The bishop of Rome is not Peter, nor do we believe him to be Peter's only successor.
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Orthodox Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaradossi View Post
No, we don't say that. The bishop of Rome is not Peter, nor do we believe him to be Peter's only successor.
I mean the Pope. Even with the idea of others being Peter's successor, the Orthodox still believe in Primacy, so how can a House stand without a pretty significant portion of the foundation?

Orthodox Christian as of November 2013. Previous posts may not reflect this.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:51 pm

Religion: Orthodox (catechumen)

Quote:
This makes me curious as i want to learn and my question maybe sound harsh or naive, but if the orthodox don`t trust Peters chair, does that not mean that they have doubts in Lord Jesus Christ giving Peter the task to found the church?

Any good litterature or links would be nice too. I got so many questions, but do not want to scare or upset anyone (misunderstandings online are so easy to happen..).
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:40 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig1972 View Post
This makes me curious as i want to learn and my question maybe sound harsh or naive, but if the orthodox don`t trust Peters chair, does that not mean that they have doubts in Lord Jesus Christ giving Peter the task to found the church?

Any good litterature or links would be nice too. I got so many questions, but do not want to scare or upset anyone (misunderstandings online are so easy to happen..).
Have you read the tracts on this website e.g. Peter the Rock and Was Peter in Rome? etc?

Also it is Christ who founded and builds His Church...on Peter.
Old May 1, '12, 5:00 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Non- Non-Catholic
Post Re: Is it a sin to question the teachings of the CC?

Quote:
I think what Cavaradossi is saying is that he doesn't agree with the premise that Rome is Peter's chair.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old May 1, '12, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
I think what Cavaradossi is saying is that he doesn't agree with the premise that Rome is Peter's chair.
As some sort of metaphysical construct, you are right, I would disagree with that. I have no problems, however, with Rome having that title as an honorific title, much in the same way that I haver no problem with the title Ecumenical Patriarch or the Patriarch of Alexandria's title "judge of the universe".
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
Old May 1, '12, 8:49 am

Quote:
As some sort of metaphysical construct, you are right, I would disagree with that. I have no problems, however, with Rome having that title as an honorific title, much in the same way that I haver no problem with the title Ecumenical Patriarch or the Patriarch of Alexandria's title "judge of the universe".
Thanks for the clear up. I was born curious, so do not be suprised if i asked some more questions. Got much reading to do, can see that. And praying.
Old May 1, '12, 9:12 am

Religion: Catholic
Cool Re: Is it a sin to question the teachings of the CC?

No questions are a valuable part of the faith. If you seek answers.
- St. Pacian
"You are now aware that you are breathing"
- MarcusAndreas
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) "This is Bunny. Copy Bunny" - Bunny
Old May 1, '12, 9:21 am

And what if i disagree with you on that one?
Old May 1, '12, 9:43 am
Banned

Quote:
As some of you have seen in another thread here, i do in these question these matters:

- Is the Catholic church or the Orthodox church the true origin church?
- Who of them has the oldest and most untouched liturgy?
- Why do i get a more sense of holyness in the divine orthodox liturgy?
- Do i offend God, Lord Jesus Christ, Blessed Pope Benedict XVI, Blessed Virgin Mary
and all the saints?

Do i commit a grave sin by doubting like i do now? This has been clouding my mind for the last two weeks. I need to talk to my priest for sure, but how bad is this?
I personally don't think you're asking the right questions at all. Catholicism is disintegrating, there's pedophile priests and the bishops who cover up child abuse, politically ambitious bishops who threaten politicans, bishops who threaten parishioners for dissenting against traditionalist priests, the Church's overemphasis on abortion, its history of discrimination against women, Cistercian monks becoming Zen masters -- and you're concerned about the historicity of the papacy? Catholicism isn't Christ's Church - because Christ promised to tend to his sheep but in today's church there are no sheperds due to the paucity in vocations as a result of the authoritarian centralization that is the Roman Catholic Church. As a result, the 99 sheep are left to wander while the one faithful remains.
Old May 1, '12, 10:00 am

When i made this thread: i did not intending for bashing of the church, the priests, the teaching or any parishes. Answers as the one above, is just so sad and not very nice at all to all of those who work their hardest every day.

My doubts should not been taking to credit for any of what you wrote, actually the words offends me greatly and i will pray for you and those being hard in their hearts today.

I am suffering through all of this, i feel a great kind of sorrow inside and the "what to do now" is there, all present.
Old May 1, '12, 10:07 am
Banned

Quote:
actually the words offends me greatly and i will pray for you and those being hard in their hearts today.
My deepest apologies. And thank you for the prayers.
Old May 1, '12, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
I personally don't think you're asking the right questions at all. Catholicism is disintegrating, there's pedophile priests and the bishops who cover up child abuse, politically ambitious bishops who threaten politicans, bishops who threaten parishioners for dissenting against traditionalist priests, the Church's overemphasis on abortion, its history of discrimination against women, Cistercian monks becoming Zen masters -- and you're concerned about the historicity of the papacy? Catholicism isn't Christ's Church - because Christ promised to tend to his sheep but in today's church there are no sheperds due to the paucity in vocations as a result of the authoritarian centralization that is the Roman Catholic Church. As a result, the 99 sheep are left to wander while the one faithful remains.
I wouldn't say that the Catholic Church is disintegrating, nor that the scandals which are besetting her can prove one way or another that the Catholic Church is or is not the true church. All communities are bound to be rocked by scandal and change at some point, be they the puritan congregationalists, the Orthodox, the Catholics, or even the Amish.
Old May 2, '12, 7:35 am

Religion: Catholic
Cool Re: Is it a sin to question the teachings of the CC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post

Really?
Http://www.themediareport.com

Shalom
God bless
- St. Pacian
"You are now aware that you are breathing"
- MarcusAndreas
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) "This is Bunny. Copy Bunny" - Bunny

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism