Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 28, '12, 11:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How conservative/traditional are the Domincans and the Franciscans (OFM)?

Hi! I'm currently looking into different religious orders (very early discernment, just seeking information), and the two I am looking at right now are the Franciscans (OFM) and the Dominicans. So far I really like what I've read about both of them, and I want to find out more. One thing I want to know is how conservative/traditional (whatever the correct term is) these orders are in the US. I've read the histories of both of them, and I really love what they've done/been throughout history, but I also know that a lot has changed over the last 100 years. I know that some orders, such as the Jesuits, are much more liberal than others, like FSSP (I know they're not an order, but you get the point). So where do the OFM Franciscans and the Dominicans fall in this spectrum?

Now, I don't want this to turn into a war and I'm not trying to imply that everyone in each of these orders is the same, or that some orders are "better" than others. I just want to have a better idea of where I might potentially fit someday. Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 29, '12, 1:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Christianity
Default Re: How conservative/traditional are the Domincans and the Franciscans (OFM)?

My experience of the american dominicans especially the St. Joseph provence is that they are faithful and orthodox. They don't as a rule celebrate the sacraments in the extraordinary form of the dominican rite, but some members do. They are a great teaching order and the work of St. Thomas is central to this charism. If I were to join an order it would be the Doms.
“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction....There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him."
Old Apr 29, '12, 4:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: How conservative/traditional are the Domincans and the Franciscans (OFM)?

The orders are 100% orthodox.

Though the people in the orders may stray from the Church's teaching and the Order's constitutions. Be careful asking this, there's a sticky about it. It tends to start big arguments unfortunately
You have my prayers though! We need more religious! God love you!
God Bless

Old Apr 29, '12, 12:37 pm

I'm trying to tread as carefully as I can. I realize that each order is orthodox, but I'm trying to understand the culture of each order, if that makes sense. I just don't want to end up in one of the groups pushing for women's ordination or things like that. Again, I don't want to be offensive or anything. I'm just trying to understand these different groups more.
Old Apr 29, '12, 1:44 pm

Religion: Catholic

Well, one important historical detail to note... is that the Dominicans have never been reformed. (To my knowledge). Anyways, like the Benedictines had the Cistercians and then the Trappists break from them. And the only one I know about the Franciscans is the new one founded by Benedict Groeschel (C.F.R). Anyways, I'm discerning about the Dominicans as well... so I might be a little biased.

I guess the best rule of thumb would be to visit the monks of the Orders you're looking into. For me, it's pretty easy to discern from homilies alone if a priest is more traditional or not. But yeah, the only monastic Order which is consistently called "liberal", are the Jesuits. [And I don't mean to offend any Jesuits... but that seems to be the broad consensus]

ALSO,
Aside from Orders being traditional, what's more important is what your charism might be. Or which Orders' spirituality is more suited towards you.

Only 7% of what you communicate is through text alone. Thus:
Face to Face > Internet

-I'm a notorious thread ender
Old Apr 29, '12, 2:59 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Zelare View Post
Well, one important historical detail to note... is that the Dominicans have never been reformed. (To my knowledge). Anyways, like the Benedictines had the Cistercians and then the Trappists break from them. And the only one I know about the Franciscans is the new one founded by Benedict Groeschel (C.F.R). Anyways, I'm discerning about the Dominicans as well... so I might be a little biased.

I guess the best rule of thumb would be to visit the monks of the Orders you're looking into. For me, it's pretty easy to discern from homilies alone if a priest is more traditional or not. But yeah, the only monastic Order which is consistently called "liberal", are the Jesuits. [And I don't mean to offend any Jesuits... but that seems to be the broad consensus]

ALSO,
Aside from Orders being traditional, what's more important is what your charism might be. Or which Orders' spirituality is more suited towards you.
The Doms were reformed in the 1500's but never suppressed unlike a certain society of Jesus which shall remain anonymous. But seriously the reason you join an order should be the compatibility of you as the person God created you to to be and the Charism of the order. Worst comes to worst you can start a reform yourself like teresa of avila did in the Carmelites.
“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction....There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him."
Old Apr 29, '12, 3:25 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophorus View Post
Worst comes to worst you can start a reform yourself like teresa of avila did in the Carmelites.
You say that like it's so easy.

My heart was gladdened and encouraged when the Church of St Vincent Ferrer in NYC, celebrated the Traditional Dominican Rite Mass back in March.

After Vatican II, the Dominican Order chose to celebrate the OF instead of the their own rite that was established in 1256. There seems to be a renewed interest in the Dominican Rite.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Apr 29, '12, 8:15 pm
Veteran Member

The charism of the order is one thing but each community has a personality and it's own apostolate.

I know personally several women of the Dominical Sisters of St. Cecilia, AKA "Nashville Dominicans." They all teach in Catholic parish elementary schools. Thats what they do - teach Kindergarden through 8th grade. But what is so amazing about them is their joy. Always smiling and always full of joy. They are just one example.

The order is one thing. Dominicans are Dominicans, but finding the right community is something else. There is great diversity from community to community within each order.

-Tim-
Old May 1, '12, 10:22 am

Religion: Catholic - Now with 100% more vocation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
There is great diversity from community to community within each order.

-Tim-
Very true, Tim!

It really does depend on where you go. If you go to Ohio, the Franciscans there are very charismatic (they run several conferences out of a University there). On the flip side, there's some other locations that I'm sure they are more traditional with practices and the like.

CAF Group for Catholic IT Workers. Now with 100% MORE MESSAGE BOARD!.
Old May 1, '12, 10:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
The charism of the order is one thing but each community has a personality and it's own apostolate.

I know personally several women of the Dominical Sisters of St. Cecilia, AKA "Nashville Dominicans." They all teach in Catholic parish elementary schools. Thats what they do - teach Kindergarden through 8th grade. But what is so amazing about them is their joy. Always smiling and always full of joy. They are just one example.

The order is one thing. Dominicans are Dominicans, but finding the right community is something else. There is great diversity from community to community within each order.

-Tim-

This is true. Out here, for the ones that I've met, the Franciscans are very liberal (and at least occassionally heterodox)

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old May 1, '12, 1:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post
You say that like it's so easy.

My heart was gladdened and encouraged when the Church of St Vincent Ferrer in NYC, celebrated the Traditional Dominican Rite Mass back in March.

After Vatican II, the Dominican Order chose to celebrate the OF instead of the their own rite that was established in 1256. There seems to be a renewed interest in the Dominican Rite.
I'm not saying it would be easy, but it would be worth it!
Old May 1, '12, 1:40 pm
Banned

Younger Dominican friars (not monks) tend to be more conservative when it comes to liturgy, teaching, etc. as compared to some of the older ones. However, the vast majority of even the older friars never fell into the doctrinal issues that of the sisters in the OP did. Dominican friars, contemplative nuns, and laity fall under a strong central leadership under the Master of the Order. The Master is the successor to St. Dominic and thus, speaks with his authority. This is very different from other orders such as the Benedictines, Franciscans, etc. which do not have nearly the central structure and where things tend to vary more from place to place. When you join the Dominicans, you are not joining a specific priory or house, you are joining the Order, and you may be called to serve anywhere in the world based on need.

The apostolic Dominican Sisters and Dominican Associates are a bit of a different breed. They do not fall directly under the Master of the Order, although they do need his permission to join the family and use the name "Dominican". However, his direct control over their actions is far less than over the friars, nuns, or laity. This is why if you going to find doctrinal issues in the Order of Preachers, it will most likely be in the Sisters and if you are going to find issues among the faithful, it is more likely to be in the Associates.

At the end of the day if comes down to the charism and spirituality of the group. It has to be a good fit for you.
Old Feb 25, '14, 2:52 pm

Religion: catholic

The dominicans are good in conservative wise as i have seen but what baffles me is how their homes are luxurious,they often go about without their habit and so on and so forth.
Old Mar 1, '14, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryso View Post
The dominicans are good in conservative wise as i have seen but what baffles me is how their homes are luxurious,they often go about without their habit and so on and so forth.
I would be careful with making sweeping statements like that, because you may only have seen dominicans from your province. Provinces differ quite a lot. There are four in the United States, each with their own separate character, for example. I have never seen a Dominican out of his habit.

Franciscans vary - they're a big family but it very much depends on the order. I love the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate (I hope their present distress is resolved very soon) and I've heard many good things about the Franciscan Brothers of Life in Florida.

The Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer is not officially part of the Dominicans, but they are attempting to be. They are in France and celebrate the traditional Dominican Rite!
Old Mar 1, '14, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp501 View Post
Hi! I'm currently looking into different religious orders (very early discernment, just seeking information), and the two I am looking at right now are the Franciscans (OFM) and the Dominicans. So far I really like what I've read about both of them, and I want to find out more. One thing I want to know is how conservative/traditional (whatever the correct term is) these orders are in the US. I've read the histories of both of them, and I really love what they've done/been throughout history, but I also know that a lot has changed over the last 100 years. I know that some orders, such as the Jesuits, are much more liberal than others, like FSSP (I know they're not an order, but you get the point). So where do the OFM Franciscans and the Dominicans fall in this spectrum?

Now, I don't want this to turn into a war and I'm not trying to imply that everyone in each of these orders is the same, or that some orders are "better" than others. I just want to have a better idea of where I might potentially fit someday. Thanks everyone!
Another suggestion: you are bound to get orthodoxy where the traditional Latin rites are preserved, so take a look at newliturgicalmovement.org - on the sidebar on the left there are lots of links, and down a little ways is a section on "vocations". Several orders, institutes, and monasteries are listed there. I found the one I am hoping to discern with that way!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations