Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '12, 11:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: "Difficult" Callers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkanAttila View Post
But I will admit that script kiddies are an interesting break from the regular rigamarole of commentators without questions, amateur Catholics looking for answers, and non-Catholics looking for clarity.
Rigamarole? What a fun word!

I don't want to take this too off-topic, but I, like you, often find myself a bit bored with the callers to the various CAL programs. Although I certainly don't want to "remedy" this by being annoyed at ridiculous atheists, I can empathise with your feelings. If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend checking out the Jimmy Akin Podcast. Jimmy's format is different there from the one used during the Live Q and A's, and he goes very much so in-depth in his replies to e-mails or phone message questions.

As to the how dare you finger-wagging of Rick: in his rhetoric, is he unconsciously appealing to some sort of transcendent morality with such a tone? I suppose his main purpose is to shame, and perhaps it is really to have a nice laugh with friends about how he was on the radio; but nonetheless, I would be curious to discuss this "appeal" with him in RL.
Old Apr 24, '12, 2:05 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNomineDomini View Post
As to the how dare you finger-wagging of Rick: in his rhetoric, is he unconsciously appealing to some sort of transcendent morality with such a tone? I suppose his main purpose is to shame, and perhaps it is really to have a nice laugh with friends about how he was on the radio; but nonetheless, I would be curious to discuss this "appeal" with him in RL.
Oh aye, ofcourse it is. For an atheist to make a statement about anything turns them into a hypocrite automatically .

"Truth doesn't exist......oh but eh... this statement is true though"
Old Apr 24, '12, 2:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarkanAttila View Post
Two days ago there was an obnoxious caller (Rick, I believe?) on the line who kept claiming that we blindy follow the Bible without any rational thought or somesuchthing. And yesterday, if I'm not mistaken, that same caller called AGAIN and they let him through. CAL has had more than a few obnoxious callers over the years.

But I would like to know: why do you apologists, Patrick Coffin et al, put up with obnoxious callers like that, who keep saying the same thing over and over again, or who try to talk over you and won't listen to you? The ones who are like talking to a brick wall - a very loud, opinionated one?
There is a slang term for these type of people, " Trolls" !

People who have nothing better to do than to stir up trouble, they are out there in the real world and on the internet and evidently call in from time to time on radio shows , with nothing else than to try and aggrivate who ever their intended target is.

Then there are those who are just hard headed and think they are right no matter what and want to prove it,

it can be very straining when dealing with these people, especially if you are not use to the drama they want to bring. And if they do not manage to anger the host of the radio show or internet forum they go after the viewers/listeners who are sometimes more easily aggitated.

It takes a strong mental game to deal with these people.

Don't feed into their drama, and don't let them under your skin.
Old Apr 25, '12, 3:33 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Another atheist caller just called during the first hour of today's show.

I smell something fishy: http://richarddawkins.net/discussion...sean-faircloth

For the sake of His sorrowful passion,
have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Old Apr 25, '12, 3:57 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChapel View Post
Another atheist caller just called during the first hour of today's show.

I smell something fishy: http://richarddawkins.net/discussion...sean-faircloth
That page made my head hurt. It really, really did.

The same things they decry and hate... they themselves do. Intolerance? Hatred? Abuse? They're hurling it on people they know NOTHING about...

I am proudly Catholic.
I do not molest children.
I am not an idiot.
I HAVE examined the evidence for God and have found the evidence for God sufficient for me to believe.
I am tolerant (something they are not).
I am loving.
I accept people REGARDLESS of their life choices. If they are hindu, atheist, agnostic, buddhist, muslim, polyamorous, homosexual, child molestors (YES... I have dear loved ones who are child molestors. I continue to love them, even if I would NEVER let them near a child)... doesn't matter. I will treat them with respect (can they say the same? Do they treat Christians with respect?).

Ugh... really... that forum makes it very difficult to view atheists with respect but I will turn on some old Hitchens discussions to restore my faith in logical atheism.
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:10 pm

Religion: Critical-Thinking Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to TarkanAttila

Alan4disucssion in the comments section:

Quote:
Quote:
"sin darkens the intellect and makes you stupid", i.e. implying that atheists are only atheists because of our "sin". And Feser called RD a "loud mouth ignoramous".
As I have pointed out here to the assertive ignorant from time to time: All knowledge is arrogant from the viewpoint of ignorance. Beyond a certain profound level of ignorance it begets know-it-all confidence. David Dunning and Justin Kruger have quoted Charles Darwin ("Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge") - as in the absence of any scientifically verified knowledge whatever, any simplistic wild ideas can seem credible to the incredulously ignorant, while any technical details are far beyond their grasp!

Quote:
"a so-called former atheist turned Catholic named Edward Feser."
Pathetic viewpoints usually need some endorsement from an "authority figure", to add perceived weight and credibility to their absence of substance!
You go!

I'd like to go on catholic.com and listen to that radio show. But it seems to be tied up ATM. (DDOS attack???)
- Gerard Manley Hopkins
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:14 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Perhaps JPII and Pope Benedict were calling for the new evangelization of the Richard Dawkins radio network.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion,
have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Old May 1, '12, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
That page made my head hurt. It really, really did.

Ugh... really... that forum makes it very difficult to view atheists with respect but I will turn on some old Hitchens discussions to restore my faith in logical atheism.
Agreed on Hitchens (RIP). I thought that he made good arguments which I contentedly disagreed with but at least he had a gentility and intelligence about him which the arrogant and patronising Richard Dawkins does not.
As for that lad who turned up on the Q&A forums, on one of them he sounded as though he'd had a beer. Also atheists like that sound angry and over emotional like Dawkins does at times. If you're content with your beliefs, surely you can't be angry with people who disagree in a logical and refined manner?

Jimmy Akin is my least favourite of the team because he has a dismissive arrogance which makes me uncomfortable. A caller was on and said that she wanted to know how to respond to Mormons and that "run screaming" reply didn't do the station justice. Even the caller suggested a more respectful response.

That doppleganger on Tim and Patrick's shows would do well to follow Hitchen's and Father Robert Barron's example.
Old May 1, '12, 11:40 am

I should have posted "Jimmy Akin IN ONE INSTANCE was dismissive and arrogant" because he is very knowledgeable and he can be very supportive of people who are suffering emotional trauma.
Old May 1, '12, 12:22 pm

Listened to Jimmy the other night and I changed my mind. The guy is superb. His knowledge of canon law and the bible is awesome.
Old May 1, '12, 1:12 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal_40s View Post
Listened to Jimmy the other night and I changed my mind. The guy is superb. His knowledge of canon law and the bible is awesome.
Hee. This series of posts just made me smile.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not particularly liking a certain apologist's style. Personally I prefer arguments from reason alone and get irritated with apologist's who try to appeal to anything other then reason (like quoting Scripture or whatever). But to each his/her own.
Old May 1, '12, 4:26 pm

I read their comments and cannot help but wonder why they do not see how incredibly disrespectful they are being and how ridiculous their comments are.

The CAL hosts do not "talk over" them. They are responding to the the questions the atheists ask. And if the atheist won't let them speak, it just seems they are calling to hear themselves talk ("look at me, I'm on the radio!"), not to have a meaningful discussion or get their questions answered. I see atheists talk over the host many times during the call, it's almost like they don't want a response. First, when they ask a question, the host/guest tries to respond and then the atheist interrupts.

These atheist callers also have a terrible habit of listing a ton of questions all at once and then getting annoyed or thinking they are superior because not all their questions were answered. There is a one-question-per-call policy. It seems atheists are immune to that rule, and the CAL hosts are more than fair in that they usually answer at least two of their questions, AND atheist callers seem to get more air time than normal callers (as long as they don't cut off the host, in which case there is no discussion and so there is no point in continuing). Atheists also seem to feel entitled to having all their questions answered in one sitting, but it would take a very long time to answer all their questions AND it isn't fair to other callers if one person takes 1/2 hour or more of air time. That is why everyone is supposed to ask ONE question and then call back, go to the end of the line. Then if there is time they can ask another question, or they can call back on a different Q&A Open Forum day.

It's really very simple and I don't understand why they can't follow rules that even small children follow. I mean, even a preschooler knows that you stand in line, go down the slide once, and then go around and get back in line if you want to go down again. What these atheists are doing is the equivalent of going down the slide and instead of getting off when their feet hit the ground, they turn around and climb up the slide so they can go down again, as many times as they want without consideration for the other people waiting. What the heck?!

And please note: I am not talking about *all* atheists. There are some atheist callers who are polite and respect the one-question-per-call rule. They listen to the host and the guest and engaged in a meaningful, informative discussion. But these "New Atheists" from the Richard Dawkins website are downright ridiculous. I think they are trying to "win" rather than learn the answers to their questions.
Old May 2, '12, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
Hee. This series of posts just made me smile.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not particularly liking a certain apologist's style. Personally I prefer arguments from reason alone and get irritated with apologist's who try to appeal to anything other then reason (like quoting Scripture or whatever). But to each his/her own.
Off topic but the above post....Heeeee this reminds me of a girl's comment in a newspaper about a footballer who lived in her village in Northern Ireland but had now become successful. He was out at a nighclub and of course she started with "That made me smile....Paul always had to buy girls drinks for them to talk to him". I later found out that he rejected her. The tone in this post is similar to that girl's comments with a patronising attempt to sound magnanimous at the end. Arrogant and condescending with perhaps a hint at envy of the CA apologists perhaps.

On Topic think it is good when we have any type of callers, ignorant, knowledgeable, anti-Catholic, atheist, Catholic. It's like life. Nobody's perfect and the show should reflect that.
Old May 2, '12, 7:36 pm

Default Why he uses the name "Rick"

I think there's a reason he uses the name "Rick"

Ever hear of "Rick Rolling"? Go on youtube, and you'll find lots of videos about something VERY interesting and you want to click on it. So you click on it. Result: Rick Astley singing one of his songs (usually they just repeat one of them)

I think that the caller is trying to Rick Roll CAL.
Old May 3, '12, 8:24 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal_40s View Post
Off topic but the above post....Heeeee this reminds me of a girl's comment in a newspaper about a footballer who lived in her village in Northern Ireland but had now become successful. He was out at a nighclub and of course she started with "That made me smile....Paul always had to buy girls drinks for them to talk to him". I later found out that he rejected her. The tone in this post is similar to that girl's comments with a patronising attempt to sound magnanimous at the end. Arrogant and condescending with perhaps a hint at envy of the CA apologists perhaps.

On Topic think it is good when we have any type of callers, ignorant, knowledgeable, anti-Catholic, atheist, Catholic. It's like life. Nobody's perfect and the show should reflect that.
Um... that was not my intent? First you insulted one of the apologist's. Then you backpeddled. I just thought the three posts in a row were amusing. It was like the evolution of a repentant insulter. It was not my intent to be arrogant or condescending. I just wanted to point out that I too don't like certain Apologist's and there's no reason to be apologetic for not liking them.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)