Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 30, '12, 9:22 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Should we only pray to one saint at a time? Also the value of the Mass...

I would like to find information about the value of the Mass and why we should attend daily Mass? I have been reading stories of non-Catholics being healed and they don't even have the Mass or Holy Eucharist. Do you think Catholics are meant to suffer and non-Catholics aren't?

I have been praying to my patron Saint Therese for my husband to be healed as well as myself. I am reading a book about her miraculous intercession and reading about a miraculous statue of her in St. Louis, MO. I am growing impatient because it seems like heaven has totally shut me out.

Do you think the saints or St. Therese become upset when we add another intercessor? Do you think it means that we don't trust them enough and now we add another intercessor? I was thinking about also praying to St. Philomena and Pauline Jaricot, of which I was doing before but stopped, because I thought I should put all my faith into Jesus, Mary, Joseph and St. Therese.

Thanks,

Therese

Check out the Universal Living Rosary Association and The Rosary Confraternity -
http://www.philomena.org/
http://www.rosary-center.org/
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:24 am

Default Re: Should we only pray to one saint at a time? Also the value of the Mass...

I pray to as many saints as possible. I have learned about different saints strengths or reputations and tend to request intercession from saints that may have more understanding of what I need. For example, for women who suffer in an abuse marriage, I might recommend St. Monica, as she lived in an abusive marriage. Or if a mother wants help with a son who is promiscuous or fallen away from the church or both, I would also recommend St. Monica, her son was both of these, rather Aurelius her son had not embraced the church until later, and after many years of tears and prayers from his mother. I pray to St. Michael when I feel threatened or am about to face conflict. I ask our Blessed Mother for help often in general times of despair with my children--she is a mother she will understand. Depends on what you are asking for. Also don't forget Novenas, if you can get a group of family/friends to join you in prayer, if you can't meet you can agree to pray for an intention at the same time each night for 7 days. I recommend you do a little research and see which prayer(s) works best for you.
Prayer is indeed powerful and one must have faith. Praying without faith is (in my opinion) not effective. God hears all prayers and ultimately we need to recognize that it is "his will" we should accept. If he does not answer our prayers, he has something else in store for us.

Keep the faith and keep praying. Above all thank God for all that he has blessed you with, sometimes I've even thanked God for challenges, as I have grown through them with his help. Best of Luck to you.
Old Apr 30, '12, 3:02 pm

Default Re: Should we only pray to one saint at a time? Also the value of the Mass...

Well, I had been wondering the same thing, actually. I have hidden a green scapular under my son's mattress and pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary every day for his conversion, but I am thinking of also praying to St. Monica every day for his conversion as well. If I do, would that mean I don't have enough faith in our Blessed Mother? Or is it like the more people who pray for you, the better?
Old Apr 30, '12, 5:25 pm

When we ask for intercession from other than those that we had previously asked for intercession, I do not think there is any reason to believe a saint would be offended. I just know that as a Mother we will pray and pray continuously for our loved ones. If you have an opportunity to pray over your child while he or she is sleeping, that would be another great source of powerful prayer. I have done that for my children and did for a few of the adult ones who were experiencing personal problems and they were slipping away from their faith. One of my sons is suffering from PTSD and TBI and he has totally detached from the faith, when he has stayed here, I have prayed over him while he was sleeping. A priest suggested that many years ago during an apologetics class I attended. Even though my children are gone, I still pray for them and my grandchildren, siblings and Mother and friends. Prayer is always a positive thing. And we have so many resources (saints, blessed mother) to tap into, through God's merciful generosity he has provided them as intercessors for us. By the way, there is no time-table for results, we could pray for years for someone's conversion, God answers prayers in "his" time. We must be patient and believe. Yes, the more the better! When I need support from family and friends we start a prayer chain right away, my brothers and sisters call or e-mail their prayer groups and it's such a great thing to know that we can use technologically to further our faith and reach friends and family in all parts of the World. Plus, those who know you personally can pray more powerfully for you and yours.
Old May 1, '12, 6:39 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica97 View Post
Well, I had been wondering the same thing, actually. I have hidden a green scapular under my son's mattress and pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary every day for his conversion, but I am thinking of also praying to St. Monica every day for his conversion as well. If I do, would that mean I don't have enough faith in our Blessed Mother? Or is it like the more people who pray for you, the better?
Here are the very words of Mary to Sister Justine:
"The GREATEST graces come from using the scapular but these graces come
in direct proportion to the degree of CONFIDENCE in ME which the user has."
The user is the giver in this case, the trust depends on you for it to work well.

Here are the favors she promised:

1. Conversion of those who do not have the faith
2. Reconciliation to the Church for those who have lost/strayed from the faith
3. Assurance of a happy death
4. Strengthening of the faith for those already in the Church

She is the mother of GOD.

But on your part you must faithful and pray, at least daily:
"Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.",
once for yourself and once for your son every day.

She will hear and answer your need, just remain in the knowledge that Mary will do it.
This should bring you much peace.

Here is a litany of the saints which includes Mary which enlists heavy weight saints to also pray for you intentions, giants before the throne of God.

"...the heartfelt prayer of a good man works very powerfully." James 4;16-17
"...but he listens to the prayers of the virtuous." Proverbs 15:29

The Risen Christ, be our hope
Name of Jesus, strengthen my son
Blood of Jesus, save my son
Body of Jesus, nourish my son
Heart of Jesus, forgive my son
Heart of Mary, remember my son
..............................RE: pray for my son
Our Lady of Fatima
Our Lady of Lourdes
Our Lady of the Rosary