Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 30, '12, 9:41 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Liturgy of the Hours

If prayed privately, does it still need to be vocal or can it be prayed silently?
Old Apr 30, '12, 10:53 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Liturgy of the Hours

It is licit to pray silently, but I've found it to be most effective prayed aloud.

IOW, personally, I don't feel like I've really prayed unless the prayers at least are prayed aloud. ...
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgregmack View Post
If prayed privately, does it still need to be vocal or can it be prayed silently?
In my private prayer life, I find that silent prayer is more conducive to contemplation, which is a higher form of prayer than vocalized prayer (when it comes to the individual).

Of course, liturgical prayer (in community) is always the highest form of prayer of the Church, and "Liturgy" of the Hours embodies this particular aspect as an extension of our Mass.

With this in mind, when said in community, vocalization, and even more so, chanting, is the most preferred. I don't know why, but aside from silence, music has this mysterious (and great) power to help one's mind transcend to contemplative prayer...to God, Himself.

In fact, you may have heard it said that when we sing/chant, we pray twice.

So I would say that reciting/singing/chanting in community or silently/prayerfully contemplating (individually) on the Divine Office psalms are better than mere individual recitation of them. This is just personal opinion, though, and is based merely on personal experience.

I don't know what the Church teaches on the matter, but in regards to the "licit" part of the other poster's reply, licit has to do with general practices and norms. Individualized vocal recitation is definitely of the norm among our Church's members, and is widely practiced by clergy and laity alike. In fact, so is praying the Divine office silently and contemplatively! I think, though, that you were more directly/specifically asking about the validity of individual recitation and whether or not it has to be vocalized in order to be valid and/or efficacious (or accepted by God).

To this, I would say that God knows your heart's intentions, and He always accepts authentic prayer as being valid. You can't go wrong if you are truly praying (vocally or silently) the psalms -- directing them to God, making them dwell within your being, and learning about Christ through contemplating them -- no matter how you do this -- whether silently or vocalized/sung, personally/individually/communally.

In the end, choose the method that brings you (personally) to the most authentic union with (and closer relationship to and knowledge of) Christ. You have to discern this for yourself, and see how the Spirit is working in you during your prayer time. How is Christ calling you to pray the Divine Office? You should listen to Him!!!

Thank you for your faithfulness in praying with and for the Church through the Liturgy of the Hours, and...

Hopefully this post somewhat offers some points of consideration (or even gives some satisfying answer) to your question!

God Bless!!!

Sincerely,
tmyers

Last edited by tmyers; Apr 30, '12 at 11:40 pm.
Old Apr 30, '12, 11:50 pm

The Catechism is clear...its vocal. If you read the detailed instructions in Vol I of LOH (Advent volume) you will find these same type words...vocal means verbally pronouncing the words...even alone...and even better a very moderate chanting voice really gives a deeper sense of communion with the Universal Church...and a deeper sense of worshiping/adoring God...I am not that good at the chant...but even in church...in an unobtrusive or non-disturbing way...I can pray vocally and still do it in a chanting tone voice.

Pax Christi
Quote:
The Liturgy of the Hours

1174 The mystery of Christ, his Incarnation and Passover, which we celebrate in the Eucharist especially at the Sunday assembly, permeates and transfigures the time of each day, through the celebration of the Liturgy of the Hours, "the divine office."46 This celebration, faithful to the apostolic exhortations to "pray constantly," is "so devised that the whole course of the day and night is made holy by the praise of God."47 In this "public prayer of the Church,"48 the faithful (clergy, religious, and lay people) exercise the royal priesthood of the baptized. Celebrated in "the form approved" by the Church, the Liturgy of the Hours "is truly the voice of the Bride herself addressed to her Bridegroom. It is the very prayer which Christ himself together with his Body addresses to the Father.49

1175 The Liturgy of the Hours is intended to become the prayer of the whole People of God. In it Christ himself "continues his priestly work through his Church."50 His members participate according to their own place in the Church and the circumstances of their lives: priests devoted to the pastoral ministry, because they are called to remain diligent in prayer and the service of the word; religious, by the charism of their consecrated lives; all the faithful as much as possible: "Pastors of souls should see to it that the principal hours, especially Vespers, are celebrated in common in church on Sundays and on the more solemn feasts. The laity, too, are encouraged to recite the divine office, either with the priests, or among themselves, or even individually."51

1176 The celebration of the Liturgy of the Hours demands not only harmonizing the voice with the praying heart, but also a deeper "understanding of the liturgy and of the Bible, especially of the Psalms."52

1177 The hymns and litanies of the Liturgy of the Hours integrate the prayer of the psalms into the age of the Church, expressing the symbolism of the time of day, the liturgical season, or the feast being celebrated. Moreover, the reading from the Word of God at each Hour (with the subsequent responses or troparia) and readings from the Fathers and spiritual masters at certain Hours, reveal more deeply the meaning of the mystery being celebrated, assist in understanding the psalms, and prepare for silent prayer. The lectio divina, where the Word of God is so read and meditated that it becomes prayer, is thus rooted in the liturgical celebration.

1178 The Liturgy of the Hours, which is like an extension of the Eucharistic celebration, does not exclude but rather in a complementary way calls forth the various devotions of the People of God, especially adoration and worship of the Blessed Sacrament.
Also...for your info:
Lord Teach Us To Pray
A Catechesis Of Prayer From the Catechism of the Catholic Church
And The Tradition of Carmel
http://prayer.littleway.ca/

Quote:
In order for us to pray with the Spirit, our hearts need to be as fully engaged as possible at the time we pray. Good vocal prayer requires an effort to speak the words with reverence and care, keeping in mind Who we are speaking to. It requires a greater effort to be still and to listen for the Spiritís response. One way that helps us to keep our focus, is to mentally have Jesus at our side when we pray.
http://prayer.littleway.ca/authentic-vocal-prayer/"]http://prayer.littleway.ca/authentic-vocal-prayer/[/url]

Lastly...Saint Michael's Q&A Forums -- Divine Office (LOH) Forum

http://www.saint-mike.org/qa/do/default.asp
Old May 1, '12, 1:40 am

Quote:

Forum: Ask an Apologist:
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....21&postcount=2

Quote:

Divine Office: To Be Read Out Loud?
Hi,

The Church is concerned that people pray. This is what is important. If some can pray by mouthing the words, fine. Some people who are ill, may not be able to. I actually chant the office if I have to pray it alone. The object is that we pray the hours as best we can.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.
It is not whether we chant, speak aloud or silently The Divine Office (LOTH) that has the emphasis of importance - but that we are in a prayerful disposition, however we may best achieve this.
Old May 1, '12, 7:16 am

Thanks for all of your informative replies. I will take them all into consideration and discern what's best.

Pax Christi
Old May 1, '12, 7:37 am

Also, another question now arises: what about the readings? Do they need to be spoken even in private?
Old May 1, '12, 7:41 am
Banned

Quote:
Also, another question now arises: what about the readings? Do they need to be spoken even in private?
Read this and decide for yourself:

http://www.calledtocommunion.com/201...-kinds-prayer/
Old May 1, '12, 7:57 pm

Here are the 9 levels of prayer that I was referring to:

http://ericsammons.com/print_article.html?ArticleID=22
Old May 1, '12, 8:05 pm

You may wish to bookmark this link ...

GENERAL INSTRUCTION OF THE LITURGY OF THE HOURS

Everything you've ever wanted to know about LOTH, but were afraid to ask.
Moved with pity (splagchnizomai), he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." (Mk 1:41)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality